Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• snehal_Joshi
    Comment on Business Logo Design
    snehal_Joshi
    A logo is the first impression for any brand, as per my view only logo can create your first corporate brand image.
    Today, 06:31 AM
  • approveme
    Reply to Which of HTML and XHTML works best for most browsers?
    approveme
    What Is XHTML?

XHTML stands for EXtensible HyperText Markup Language
    XHTML is almost identical to HTML
    XHTML is stricter than HTML
    XHTML is HTML defined as an XML application...
    Today, 05:46 AM
  • it52
    Reply to Your's personal criticism
    it52
    It's cool you have a wide variety of skills. If you've designed for the web, I'm surprised you don't have a portfolio website of your own that you designed and coded. Do you have experience in coding?...
    Today, 05:30 AM
  • justproud2b
    Reply to General Branding (Re-branding)
    justproud2b
    Your right and thank you. I'm going to rethink it from a new perspective (the whole idea). I'm not used to dealing with names that don't have an overly obvious icon or look associated with them so I was...
    Today, 04:20 AM
  • B
    Comment on Graphic Design tutorials
    B
    It's sort of the Dadaist approach to design, I guess.
    Yesterday, 11:48 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Join the AIGA?

Just a quick question, is it worth it to join? I am a student so I get the good student rate. I am very committed to graphic design and enjoy lectures of designers which I would get at a discounted rate or free sometimes. How many members here are a part of the AIGA?

Thanks!
    -Collin

Ouch 53 views and not a single person hass an opinion?? haha

Comment

Heh heh, that is kind of an answer in itself.

To the best of my knowledge none of our active members are members of AIGA. If I am wrong I'm sure they will chime in. I believe the general consensus is that the benefits aren't worth the dues.

Comment

Im an AIGA member. I also got the student rate when they did a promotion for $50 in October.

If you live in a big city that does many AIGA events, like say Kansas City, then its great. Especially if you are getting the $75 ( I believe) student rate. The events are great and being able to network with people at these events is great.

If you dont live in a bigger city and cannot travel to the larger city you will be affiliated with, then there isnt much benefit besides carying around a sweet card.

Their best resources, in my opinion, are on their website for free.

Comment

Does the AIGA still run an insurance collaborative for its members?
          They used to and were trying to start up another one. That might be worth the price of admission for a freelancer with a family.

Otherwise, like ZHGD said, unless you live in a city with an ACTIVE chapter, it might not be worth it. If there is a chapter near you, ask if you can attend a meeting before joining.

ZHGD, hopefully they won't twig to the free stuff on their site. Some Associations keep all the "good" stuff behind a password protected wall. You have to be a member to access most of it. And sometimes you have to be a member to find out it isn't worth it.

There's also the GAG.
          Last edited by PrintDriver; 01-22-2011, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kool View Post
            I believe the general consensus is that the benefits aren't worth the dues.
            Ditto.

Every now and again, I visit the AIGA website hoping to find reasons to justify joining, but I never find them. I wish that a good, worthwhile professional organization existed for graphic designers, and as much as I wish it were the case, AIGA just doesn't do it for me.

I joined the local chapter way back in college, got involved, and soon realized that it was basically a social club for likeminded college students and young professionals. That was fine at the time, but now, years later, I'm really just not interested in belonging to a social networking club. There's nothing wrong with social clubs it's just not what I want or expect from a "professional" association.

Comment

http://www.graphicartistsguild.org/
              is basically the same. Slightly different agenda. A little less $$.

Why is it that design associations don't hold full blown trade shows? Or associate with other industry shows. I remember how badly I was treated on the AIGA forums as a printer/production artist, so that might explain some of that. But I really think that designers could learn a lot going to a print industry sponsored event, especially if there were additional coursed geared toward helping designers understand what they need to know to navigate their files through our workflows, while giving them the opportunity to see what's out there for materials and processes.

<hint hint>

Comment

Thanks for all the responses! After talking with some of my advisors and teachers they recommended AIGA only because they were/are doing a "club drive" for it and it would only be $50/year for the next 4 years wether your in school still or not. Not too bad. I also am checking out the Graphic Artist Guild though, and have just joined Connecticut Art Directors Club (cadc.org) because they do events very close to where I live and its only $25 per year for students which really is great!

Comment

We started a student chapter of AIGA when I was in college. We went to a few seminars. The best was listening to Milton Glaser at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The other time we were supposed to hear a designer from LA speak and she sent her business manager instead. He showed a slide show of her work and couldn't answer any of our questions (big flop in IMO). Other than the occasional speakers the only thing the AIGA did was look good on my resume.
                  *sings* "I am slowly going crazy 1.2.3.4.5.6. switch. Slowly crazy am I going 6.5.4.3.2.1. switch"

Comment

Ya thats what I was thinking too, resume.

Comment

i joined last year, and couldn't swing the dues this year. i may look at GAG. the job database for AIGA is pretty nifty, and if you're near a local chapter, i bet it could be fun. alas, i'm two hours away.
                      Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

Ya I am in CT and CT itself is pretty small in comparison to a place like Texas haha

I will talk to my professor who is running it to see if I can still get in for the low price

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                        Working...
                        X