• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• InD2Office!!!

http://www.recosoft.com/company/press/news01272011.htm

It's on the way *jumps up and down*

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Lol you guys ordered this at the office?
    Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

Nope

I just get excited easily. But for those days when someone says "can you give me that in word?" It shall come in handy should I buy it! Currently I am using this http://www.pdfonline.com/pdf2word/index.asp

Which does a good job. But who knows how long a website will be there for?

Comment

Wow, I didn't know a site like that existed. That's pretty cool.

To be honest I've never had someone ask me for a word file, I tell them "I'll send you a PDF" and they seem pretty happy with that...

Good to know that site is there though.
        Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

That's so weird, this is exactly what I need for a customer this morning. Thanks!!

Comment

I know, that's why I posted it! I'm in your internets stealing your thoughts WOOOO!

Comment

That site really is the best solution that I had found at ID > PDF > Word. Only one I could find that handled tables.

Though I think they also sell the software that does this.

Me, I'm not as excited about this new thing Eugene is describing though. Nothing to do with it's abilities, just the psychology of LOSING another of the few remaining walls that keep us from the non-designing hordes. You know that it will ultimately mean design compromises and unrealistic workflow expectations from the client side.

Comment

Broacher, i'd be perfectly happy to design a black and white form for someone and convert it to word so they can change and print it themselves rather than me putting in petty changes every 2nd week.

I'm sure it can have it's uses. It's not for everyone. I do lots of forms though. And this would be just nice to have.

Comment

Hmmm. I hope they offer a 30-day trial. I'd like to put it through its paces.

I don't want to get into the habit of giving clients everything in Word, but in the case of a valid reason for a Word template it sure would be nice to build it in Indy and translate it, rather than fighting office to make it right.
                  This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                  "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I completely understand what Broacher's saying although unrealistic workflow expectations from the client side. is already my reality.
                    My problem was I had an evaluation form that my client wanted to email out to his clients. He submitted it to me as an Excel file. I pdf'd it, imported to Indy and designed around the pdf. I then exported the pdf and created a form but realized that wasn't going to work either. Then the client sends me an email this morning about converting it to a Word doc. he could send out and I found Eugene's link. Yippee.
                    I know my work around sounds laborious, does anyone have any other ideas that could have made it easier?

Comment

I totally agree Garricks!

Pone, I'd have done from scratch. Copy and paste from excel - then set the pasted object in the pasteboard and done from top to bottom in InDesign.

Depending on what the client wanted - you could have used File>Export and choose RTF to and open that in Word and tidy it up.

But creating a PDF to InDesign and using the PDF converter link does a way nicer job.

The only problem with PDFs is that paragraph/character/et al styles are completely stripped out when converted to a PDF.

Whereas going to straight to word via RTF you retain the styles.

Comment

Hm. I just had a client ask if they could get a Word Doc of their project for the purposes of easier editing (which they send back to me to put in the native document). I'll have to look into this...

blog/portfolio

Comment

I don't know if it will translate back to indesign in a good way lol.

But they can turn on tracked changes and you can go through that.

Easier if they had InCopy though?

Comment

^ Yes InCopy would be a better solution.
                            However I find it's just not economically viable for most clients.

We just insist on good old typed out changes that read something like:
                            - pg 3, paragraph 3, line 5, changed ability to capable.

Or something like that.
                            I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

+1 for InCopy.

Even better would be editing the pancaking manuscript and getting approval before design even pancaking starts!!!

(Can ya tell it's a bit of a sore subject?)
                              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X