Researching Design for Nationalities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researching Design for Nationalities

Having started at a design company in Shanghai, I've been getting a major crash-course in cultural differences when it comes to design imagery, layout, colors and font.

We are currently working on a project that will be targeting countries here in the Far East, Latin America and the Middle East. I'm wading through what I can find online to research how each country approaches and relates to design, but I also wanted to check in here.

Does anyone have a particular resource you've found useful for gaining better knowledge of cultural design?

I did find this thread here that helped explore the approach in general: http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ural+influence

You not only have to study their approach to design, you really need to know what is morally or especially religiously offensive to them. For example, in parts of the Middle East it is incredibly insulting to show someone the sole of you foot or shoe.

Comment

Yes, that's what I'm needing. I was hoping that there might be a better source of cultural design information beyond just flailing around on the worldwide web.

Comment

Just in case it helps anyone else, I did find some good starting points in this article: http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/design...raphic-design/

Comment

Search

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• JeffJudkins
          Comment on Looking for some feedback
          JeffJudkins
          I used illustrator to draw the hitch. I used the pen tool, shape builder, blob brush, as well as other tools.
          Today, 01:41 AM
        • Palenque
          Reply to InDesign, transparency, PDFs and Acrobat's Optimizer
          Palenque
          I do have a preset job option from the printer (I work for a vendor and send things directly to the printer) and I use it, but the clients are just exporting to pdf from InDesign. I've never considered...
          Yesterday, 11:34 PM
        • Kayekaye
          Reply to How to make lace with illustrator?
          Kayekaye
          Download some of those lace samples and study them in Illustrator. You will see the complexity and you see that you will have to know the shortcuts and how the program works for repeats, exclusions e...
          Yesterday, 10:06 PM
        • PanToshi
          Comment on Student looking for advice
          PanToshi
          B, I've never looked to those organizations to do much more than hand me gold pencils while dishing out rubber chicken as we pat ourselves on the back. They've always been a big, old social club that...
          Yesterday, 09:53 PM
        • hnl2715
          Comment on My first piece for critiquing
          hnl2715
          Thank you for the critique! Is it the cursif font that's a bit much, or all of it?
          Yesterday, 07:41 PM

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X