X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Program to Use?

I'm a print designer. I have a client who wants me to design a 2-page newsletter. In the future, he wants to be able to update text/images himself. Odd request.

But what final program should be used. I have thought of designing in the normal programs (Quark, Illustrator, etc.), then import the PDF to Acrobat Pro. Then create "Form Fields" where the client can type in text.

Is that a good idea? What other program could be used. This client would only have access to the normal office programs (such as Powerpoint, Acrobat, Publisher, etc.).

I'd go with what you said. If he has acrobat pro he can do all that stuff himself.

Go with InDesign and not Quark though (my mission to turn designers away from that bloody software continues) IMO.
    Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

I never thought I'd catch myself saying this, but why not just build it in Publisher, then charge him/her extra for the additional services and time you'll need to spend on it?

Comment

I didn't expect such a quick response. Thank you! To <b>, I don't even have Publisher! (Is that crazy?) I would have to learn. Is it easy? Is that the way to go?

To "The Artist," can the client insert images in Acrobat Pro? I don't know much about Acrobat, other than I use it to pre-flight for my pdfs.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artist View Post
          I'd go with what you said. If he has acrobat pro he can do all that stuff himself.

Go with InDesign and not Quark though (my mission to turn designers away from that bloody software continues) IMO.
          Why no Quark? I love it!

Comment

The day quark dies will be a day of dancing!!
            *sings* "I am slowly going crazy 1.2.3.4.5.6. switch. Slowly crazy am I going 6.5.4.3.2.1. switch"

Comment

I still have it for the rare instance that I need to pry open some antiquated legacy file from a vendor/client/etc.

Recently had to fiddle in Quark for some project. I had forgotten how cumbersome and lengthy the quark process is. 3-4 steps for a single step function in Indesign.

I truly do not miss the quark days. Not a tiny bit.
              Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Quark workflows are archaic - if not barbaric.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Well color me barbarian then.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
                    Well color me barbarian then.
                    Heathen!!!!

Comment

You can count on Virgo to carry the Quark torch . I still have to use it probably 2-5 times a day. I haven't gotten a Quark file from a customer or a pdf created from Quark in months.
                      I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

I'm recreating artwork done in Quark in InDesign.

I'm not "allowed" to download the trial of Quark to make the edits. Which is stupid. I'd do that otherwise. So I spent 4 hours recreating artwork for one job today - only another 8 pieces of artwork to go.

Comment

It's not my fault really. It's what my company uses. Our senior art director is very VERY set in her ways and though we've talked about abandoning Quark for InDesign, we're worried her brain might completely snap from having to learn it.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Eh, I use 'em both. It just depends on what the original files are in. I won't rebuild them in ID unless I have to. Quark is what I originally learned on so it still seems like second nature.

Comment

Quark was never built for large format printing. Most of the designers in my field have seen the light. Not that Adobe doesn't try to kill us every step of the way either but we have much better control over InD.

As to the poor OP, do you even know if your client owns Publisher? And what about the poor printer who gets the client-butchered Publisher files. Think of the poor guy downstream before you pour crap in his water.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X