Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• salsa
    Reply to Design Quotes
    salsa
    They want you to do a mock quote and didn't tell you how to do it? That's strange that they would even do this because there are a lot of steps in the real world of business that you have to go through...
    Today, 02:33 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to New Logo for a Glass Bottle Cutting Device
    Buda
    I don't see any progression. It's the same concept.

Try and work on some more interesting concepts.

Things to think about:
    Who is the target market?
    What is the...
    Today, 01:51 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Critique for my logos
    Buda
    What is your background? Are you a student or a designer?

These don't look like real logos to me because they can't be used in the real world. It looks like you have thought up concepts but...
    Today, 01:47 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to (Possibly) doing a commission for the first time, need intro
    Buda
    Just curious if you are thinking of using copyright and trademarked comic book and movie characters in your design?
    Today, 01:44 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Design Quotes
    Buda
    Hi c_fowler336 and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain...
    Today, 01:37 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Degree options for a BFA Graphic Design Graduate.

I would like to pursue my goal in getting my master degree, but I do not know what would be the best option.

Would it be an advantage to get a masters in some kind of business, so that in the future when I do own my own design firm it would greatly help me out?

If so, what kind of specific master degrees should I be looking for?

I also would love to teach in a major university and prepare future designers for excellence in design practice, design theory etc.. What kind of master degree would I need to achieve this goal?

I realize my goals are broad, and there is no reason why I can't do both. I just need someone to point me in the right direction. Thank you ahead of time.

Do you have any real world experience or are you a just graduating BFA? I wouldn't suggest continuing on until you've worked in the World for a while. Find your direction first or you may waste a LOT of money.

1. unless you have a specific area of design you work in, no one can guess what type of extended education would be good for your career. For instance, I might suggest Museum Studies or Early childhood education for an exhibit designer, but that wouldn't do for corporate marketing. (Well... the latter might be helpful. )

2. in order to teach future designers, you must practice design. ie Lots of Real World experience. It's one thing to teach diluted theory, quite another to have live examples of what has worked for you, and more importantly what didn't. You will need at least an MEd to teach at the college level. At the very least.

Comment

Sorry for not giving out those details. Well I've been working in the graphic design industry for about 3 years now as well as working as a freelance designer. I graduated in 2008 with a BFA in graphic design from The University of the Arts in Philadelphia.

Comment

Need more assistance!

If I could get more assistance on this issue I would gladly be appreciated. Much thanks.

Comment

Master's degrees can often be custom tailored to a great degree and are dependent upon the school and your graduate committee. Different schools offer different programs with differing areas of emphasis and faculty expertise. It really comes down to checking out various graduate schools to see what they offer.

I made the mistake of getting my MFA in design after having also gotten my BFA in design. Well, maybe it wasn't a mistake, but in hindsight I should have gotten the degree in a closely related field that complemented the degree that I already had communication, for example, or a business/management degree that I could apply to design. It's easy to get stuck in a design career rut that has limited upward mobility opportunities. For example, broadening one's skill sets, along with the thought processes and language that go with them, can help overcome some companies' tendencies to dismiss designers as flaky, artsy creative types that can't quite be trusted.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
          Working...
          X