Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting off with Coral Draw.

Hi all,

I'm new here and to the world of graphic design and was hoping to get a bit of advice.

After some research I've decided on digital drawing as a starting point into graphic design and picked Coral Draw as the software to use.

Could you please give me an idea of the essential elements I should be learning? Also if anyone knows of any useful online tutorials or lessons suited for a beginner that would be great.

Diogenes.

Curious... why Corel Draw and not Adobe Illustrator?

"digital" drawing requires you to know basic "paper" drawing. All the same elements usually apply. Learning the software will not be enough. Anyone can make a box, but can they manipulate that box and place it in such a way that it's interesting and sends out a message graphically.

You'll need to start with basics:
    - drawing techniques
    - composition
    - shading
    etc...
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

If you're looking to get into graphic design professionally, you'll want to learn Adobe Illustrator instead. The only businesses I know of that still use Corel Draw are some sign companies and maybe some screen printers. Other than that, Illustrator is the industry standard.

As for learning, (whether it's with Corel Draw or Illustrator), practice with the pen tool. Scan in some of your drawings or random drawings you find online and just trace over them with the pen tool.
      "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
      -Steve Jobs

Comment

As a starting point, you might want to brush up on your spelling too.

It's CorelDraw.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone,

I've had a look into some drawing lessons and started practicing. I'll also look into getting a 30 day trial of Illustrator to start with and practice tracing around images with the pen function and try some online tutorials.

Thanks for the speeeling advice Broacher.

Comment

No it doesn't Eva. What will you do when you have to put a logo you designed in Photoshop on the side of a building, 20 meters wide? Or on a billboard?
            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Sorry Eva. Garricks is definitely correct.
              You cannot upscale in Photoshop as it is not vector.
              Illustrator is a MUST when building logos.
              I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Originally posted by EvaBrown
                Sorry, but I prefer to use Photoshop. But I think it's a good idea to use trial version. Illustrator can help you to work with vector graphics. But I always suggest to use Photoshop, because it gives more advantages.
                april fools was a week ago

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

How many people does it take saying "Photoshop is fine for logos" before everyone starts believing it?

I'll print anything you send me. But if you want that logo on the side of a building in 3D letters that light up, it will cost you money for me to fix your photoshop logo into a vector thing that a CNC will read. And I'm going to up my price very soon. No joke. This photoshop thing is already rampant. And it is wrong. Anyone that believes Photoshop is for logos should have their computer taken away. Or at least banned from selling their creations as Graphic Design.

</rant>
                  Last edited by PrintDriver; 04-07-2011, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Maybe they should copy/paste the Pshop logo into AI and send you that?

(Runs away ducking)

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher View Post
                      Maybe they should copy/paste the Pshop logo into AI and send you that?

(Runs away ducking)
                      Nah, then Place the AI into Word and PDF it.
                      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

then word it again just for good measure

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Nah, that's overkill.

Comment

Chuck Norris version: convert that to html from inside Word.

Comment

I thought if you wanted HTML you get yourself a copy of Quark 5, place the PDF in there and then convert to HTML with the Quark Avenue extension. It'd be flawless.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X