Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Buda
    Reply to Candy Shop Logo
    Buda
    It's a good start. I like the middle one how it has highlights in the text, but I think the drop shapes are way too big. Have you considered working with candy stripes?
    Today, 12:23 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to How to do this?
    Buda
    Yes.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Personally, I would do this in Photoshop so that I had more control of the final colour. Photographing colours can result in differences...
    Today, 12:22 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Hello from Nordic
    Buda
    Hi Mikko and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how the...
    Today, 12:20 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Zazzle, CafePress, Etsy, OH MY!
    Buda
    I've never used Zazzle or CafePress, but I've bought a few things on Etsy.

If your CafePress store is doing well, why not sell your Zazzle items on CafePress and see how you go? It might...
    Today, 12:17 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Save Your Work! Poster - critique needed
    Buda
    I think simple is important. A texture will help and maybe thickening up the font?
    Today, 12:13 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logos and their sizes and a weired grid?

Hi fellas,

There is something stuck in my head and i cant figure it out.

I have seen nowadays that many designers, when they are designing a logo they kinda make like a grid first. and then they show how much space is betweeen every word and symbol.

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Visua...bienzia/823175

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Avivo...dentity/364321

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Corpo...y-Vivia/248398

Are there any rules for Logos for Print?

is there any specific size for a logo?

Why is it important to work on a grid specifying spaces for logos

Could you please explain what this is all about.That would really really help me alot in advance.

Peace

I'm not sure I understand your confusion. Why would you not use guides to help make sure your lines and shapes are strait? There are design rules for identity but how you create the logo is up to you. These are simple drawing techniques you can choose to use or not. For instance: the first link for the identity for the tech company. The designer drew their own font using guides to make everything the same height, weight etc...
    *sings* "I am slowly going crazy 1.2.3.4.5.6. switch. Slowly crazy am I going 6.5.4.3.2.1. switch"

Comment

There are design rules for identity
      i was thinking that now you have to have a specific size for the logo and X amount of spacing between letters and symbol and clear space hmmm.

Could you please explain design rules for identity?

Thanks a lot,

Peace

Comment

I recomend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Logo-Design-Lo...1883605&sr=1-1

and this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Identity...883605&sr=1-12

and maybe this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Logo...1883605&sr=1-3
        *sings* "I am slowly going crazy 1.2.3.4.5.6. switch. Slowly crazy am I going 6.5.4.3.2.1. switch"

Comment

kool,

thanks alot i have already ordered those books.

Cheers for that

Peace

Comment

It's a nice technique for presentation but for example the swish abstract shapes do not evoke anything really specific to me (and I've seen many abstract shapes like this hey! spec sites are full of those), and the logo for AVIVA is not a pure colour version of their monocolour version - it is a different entity altogether.

The custom font for sabienzia looks very much like many freeware fancy fonts around here, which many people - including here - despise. For sure, at least this one is not a clone, and the designer can claim it is original work because there is no OTF TTF being downloaded anywhere that is exactly the same.
            Nonetheless the designer might have picked one of those and the result would be nearly the same for a fraction of the price charged - ok am I bashing someone in the dark? possibly. This designer went to painful lengths to create the first glyphs of a font set. Let me bet: he probably tested the general look and feel on a freeware, low quality font to get an overall idea of what it would look like, but though why should I get them a USD 25 license when I can charge ..........USD for a custom design that looks 95% the same?

But the presentation effort (which is remarkable) of these logos should not try to hide that the logos themselves are not exceptional. They are not bad, but they are plain girls with nice make up, a nice dress and nice hairdo. Ever seen celebrities without makeup?
            I am convinced that the value of these logos in a few years will reflect the marketing money, not the design genius.

IMHO The presentation of shapes with the lines and circles are not exceedingly meaningful in terms of revealing the underlying structure of the logos.
            In a standard logo presentation and guidelines, the designer provides useful guidelines on white space on all sides. To a large extent, when the designer is highlighting that the pictogram should be 3 times the size of letter "a", he is already not providing anything meaningful anymore, given that his/her logo is already supposed to stand as a non-alterable block.

Where there graphic identity presentations teach us something, it is that some clients will pay big bucks to get a lot empty talking, a big, pretentious presentation, but ultimately a logo or graphical identity which might have anybody's name on it.

We should all respect a certain level of professionalism to present our work, but this is the French nouvelle cuisine of design. Nice restaurant room, trendy lounge music, beautiful plates but a 3in x 3in piece of meat among decorative vegs and an arty drop of sauce.
            "There is hope in honest error; none in the icy perfections of the mere stylist."
            C.R.M.

Comment

very informative books.
              i really looking for it.
              thanks

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
              Working...
              X