• seamas
    Reply to Are you able to read the text?
    seamas
    ^ This...
    Today, 04:55 AM
  • seamas
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    seamas
    I think the weathering shouldn't be part of the logo at all.

If you want to use it as a treatment fine, but in the design phase of the logo, it just isn't a good idea.

Too many...
    Today, 04:52 AM
  • arielr190
    Opinions on My Logo?
    arielr190
    Hello all! I am new to this forums and I appreciate your time to help me.

So I am starting business; this is the logo I created for it. While I cannot say exactly what the business does;...
    Today, 03:09 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to How to do this?
    PrintDriver
    I'd think you'd want to be careful that it doesn't look obviously fake, like the first photo.
    The second one is strangely shadowless and floaty.
    The third one is ok, the objects are actually...
    Today, 12:55 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Candy Shop Logo
    Buda
    It's a good start. I like the middle one how it has highlights in the text, but I think the drop shapes are way too big. Have you considered working with candy stripes?
    Today, 12:23 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule of thirds, SIMPLIFIED!!!

Sometimes i find this rule very hard to understand, but, when i caught on after quite a while of researching and tutorials, i realised it can all be easier,

this was made by me a very long time ago on a different forum, and i no longer have the psd...

Real explanation of why the this will work in the third theory, and why use it for the first time. Just to show what a nice gesture, but people will not be able to fully exploit the potential of the work of others, putting in a grid, the number of lines or any other mathematical interpretation of art or design, if you understand how it works. That said, the third state does not always work. And you should not stop with the text. Can be used to develop the composition of each piece on all visual. This "simplified" tutorial, but you should never allow a simple tutorial to end the detail and quality.

Thank you for your contribution.

Comment

Not for nothing, I can't read half of the text on that thing.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
        Not for nothing, I can't read half of the text on that thing.
        Same here.
        For an instructional piece it is hard to follow and the typefaces/typography was poorly chosen and poorly set. Some really tight leading.

Also I can see in the Character Palette you have the type distorted : 101% Vertical and 149% horizontal?
        2pt text with 2.01 pt leading??
        Really?

One key to creating instructional design is clarity and easy to read, easy to follow text & illustration.

If you need to distort text, fine, but NEVER use it to illustrate an instructional sheet. EVER.
        Last edited by seamas; 06-14-2011, 02:04 PM.
        Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Thats what you get for being a Design guru through Photoshoppiness
          (Ryhmes with sloppiness )
          "After all is said and done, more is said than done."
          Aesop

Comment

Considering this is supposed to represent how to make a 'good' design it's pretty scary. All kinds of problems in there as others have pointed out.
            Basic problem, it's illegible and why is it such a silly size? it's not printable to be hung at someone's cubicle.
            And don't even start me on the fact that it's 'designed' in photoshop.
            I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Also "you" only has one "u"

It's not very legible so hard to critique. But the "Choose the letter 'A' and mess around with the settings" is not great advice.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Um, actually he's not actually asking for a critique. He posted it in Resources.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
                  Um, actually he's not actually asking for a critique. He posted it in Resources.

I understand that.
                  However I think it is important for certain cautions be expressed in case some newer designers looking for resources use that piece as sound instruction.

Beginning designers should be alerted to what not to do with type.
                  Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Sheeze you guys, it's for making sigs, designed for reading by sig makers. "Choose the letter 'A' and mess around with the settings" is probably good advice in sig world.

We discussed this before allowing it out of moderation and decided it was harmless. I never expected anyone to take it seriously and start critiquing it right and left.

Comment

Sig maker, sig maker,
                      Make me a sig.
                      Full of effects,
                      3D and big.

Sig maker, sig maker
                      Look through some sites
                      and make me a perfect sig.

For Virgo, make it all fuzzy,
                      For Seamas, make the type zing,
                      For me? well, i wouldn't holler
                      If it weren't as filtered as anything!

Comment

lol @ broacher!!
                        Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                        | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                        | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher View Post
                          Sig maker, sig maker,
                          Make me a sig.
                          Full of effects,
                          3D and big.

Sig maker, sig maker
                          Look through some sites
                          and make me a perfect sig.

For Virgo, make it all fuzzy,
                          For Seamas, make the type zing,
                          For me? well, i wouldn't holler
                          If it weren't as filtered as anything!
                          Win. There was a point 2 years ago where I lost touch for sig making, look backed on it and missed it and then smacked myself wondering why that thought crossed my mind. Thank god for commercial design.

As far as improving the general gist of this tutorial, CS5 comes equipped with a rule of thirds cropping overlay. Doesn't take much to stretch it over, mark some guides and bobs your uncle. At least then you don't have to worry about "finding a grid-like shape" and constantly deleting, hiding, working over, under and around.
                          Last edited by 261311; 06-15-2011, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kool View Post
                            I never expected anyone to take it seriously and start critiquing it right and left.
                            Are we only allowed to give crit in the crit pit?

If anything, giving crit and having the op adjust it can only make it an even BETTER resource, right

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

The rule of thirds is that difficult to understand? Sorry, but I do not find it that difficult. I would think, Kool, that if we were going to have something in the Resource section, it should be a useful resource. Not a post with...well, this is wrong and here and her...but you can use it a resource. That's like saying that you can call Hidenburg the perfect example of zepplin design. LOL
                              "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X