Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Unused designs - who owns them?
    KitchWitch
    Hi EmberMike and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 01:40 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Comment on Avatars
    KitchWitch
    If you read the original post, you'll find, "The function that allows avatars to be uploaded broke a few weeks ago for unknown reasons." There's a workaround posted in comment #6 you can try....
    Today, 01:39 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to How to choose a good graphic design for a web design company?
    KitchWitch
    Hi Omar and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 01:35 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Getting started...
    KitchWitch
    Hi rtk3tt and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 01:32 PM
  • BJMRamage
    Comment on Christmas cards
    BJMRamage
    yeah, we had photos taken in October...just waiting on the pics from the photographer.
    Today, 01:24 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for swirly Photoshop brush

Hi, Thanks for reading...I did this logo for my band and now I can't find the brush I used...dang! Anyone recognize the swirly curly? Thanks so much.

Shasta Sun
    Attached Files

Are you asking us to identify a brush or a font?

Identifying a brush is like trying to find a needle in a haystack that's on another planet made up of haystacks...

Anyone can make a brush so you're probably better off finding a different one.

Also, is that the font used in the movie "Blade"??
    Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

Logo done in Photoshop. Bad form.

Comment

Using brushes for a logo. Bad form.

Comment

Why? using a purchased brush for illustrator is fine by me. Beats having to create one from scratch.

Comment

Usually they don't allow it to be used in logos (license doesn't extend that far). You can't trademark what you don't fully own.

Comment

Thank you for all of your comments

The typeface is called "Blade" so maybe it is from the movie. I was looking for the brush, not the font.

Comment

I think he was just asking purely out of personal curiosity.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Like fonts? Don't own those either.
                  I did say purchase, perhaps should have said licensed. And you can always contact the creator and get a release for commercial use. Or not. Up to them.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                    And you can always contact the creator and get a release for commercial use.
                    I'm surprised more people don't do this. Most times the creators I've contacted have been amenable, sometimes for additional cash, sometimes not. Get the extended license in writing and keep it with the product so you don't lose it.
                    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Fonts are different. It is my understanding font designs can't be copyrighted, only the data to make them can.

Licensing for commercial use is not the same as a logo design because of the extra rights like copyright transfer that really should be a requirement for all.

Comment

What do you mean by "data to make them"?

And wouldn't font design licensing be the same as copyrighted therefor you can't just go and steal whatever you font you find...

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                          I'm surprised more people don't do this.
                          Only this week I was answering a very similar question to someone else and they came back and said they got in touch with the font vendor and got clearance to use a font the way they wanted. Which was great. Problem solved.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

The short of it is they don't recognize typefaces as works of art.

Licensing and copyright is different. Licensing gives you the right to use it. Copyright goes beyond that - the right to own it, make derivatives, and license it.

Someone with a license can't license to someone else. Someone with a copyright can pretty much do whatever they want with it.

Comment

Sorry you're right, I meant in the sense that if you create a font and someone purchases it they have the license to use that font. But what's stopping someone from saying, no I designed that font too... Maybe it's not a copyright but there has to be some sort of ownership over it...

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X