X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website for high resolution images?

Hi there, I am fairly new to this website but in dire need of your help.

I am looking for a website which has a load of high resolution images, free to use. The only good site I know is www.istockphoto.com but you have to pay for that.

The images I require are used for graphics on snowboards so have to be of major size.

Any help is very much appreciated, looking forward to receiving an answer.

Thanks in advance!
    ~Renelator

The only free stock photo sites I use are:

www.sxc.hu
    www.morguefile.com
    www.dreamstime.com/free-photos

There's also www.rgbstock.com, but I haven't actually used them as of yet.

They offer hi-resolution images, but they may not be all that large.

Why the aversion to paying for graphics? I know we're not all made of money, but sometimes you simply have to pay for what you need. Remember, you get what you pay for.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Very true and once I'll be actually producing snowboards I will start buying pictures at istockphoto.

Thanks for the help, I'll visit those sites; already visited SXC but indeed, most pictures are not large enough for snowboards etc. I wonder where the people that make advertisements for billboards etc. get their pictures!

Any other websites are still very welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Renelator View Post
        I wonder where the people that make advertisements for billboards etc. get their pictures!
        lol... They pay for them!

Most regular pay stock photo sites will offer images for large format at a higher cost.

blog/portfolio

Comment

You can try www.deviantart.com and search for stock photo _______ . Just be sure to read each artists' copyright disclaimers. You can try to take some of your own, or swap some favors with friends who can take them for you.

Do what you gotta do, but you won't find a lot of great, high-res photos for free out there. And you shouldn't really expect it - you don't want to work for free, don't expect photographers to do it.
          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

If you plan on using alot of images, you can get a good discount by paying for a years worth. I do that with Photos.com and it's pretty decent.

Paying for them is always nice. It's amazing how often you find use for the site in your designs.
            It's a dog eat dog world out there.... and I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

Comment

You can also try finding free stock vector sites. That way, there's no resolution issues to hold you back from using it for a larger product. However, CAREFULLY READ THE LICENSING/EULA/FINE PRINT as you may not be able to use these images for commercial endeavors.

blog/portfolio

Comment

You were right. I wasted a good part of the morning on many site! But, in a good way.

Comment

Originally posted by Renelator View Post
                  I wonder where the people that make advertisements for billboards etc. get their pictures!
                  billboards are not high resolution. Billboards are only about 50 dpi.
                  Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Or less.

Comment

Originally posted by Microswede View Post
                      You can try www.deviantart.com and search for stock photo _______ . Just be sure to read each artists' copyright disclaimers. You can try to take some of your own, or swap some favors with friends who can take them for you.

Do what you gotta do, but you won't find a lot of great, high-res photos for free out there. And you shouldn't really expect it - you don't want to work for free, don't expect photographers to do it.
                      This is a great place for some funkier stuff. But do read the disclaimers...they are all different.

www.sxc.hu is another of my favorite haunts for school projects. Either site works very well.
                      "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

http://cgtextures.com/ for textures/scenes

Comment

I don't like a stock site that requires registration to browse. To download, yes. But not to browse.
                          Also, most tiles/textures I've seen are not exactly what you'd call Large Format material. Most are geared to websites and 72dpi wonderousness.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                          Working...
                          X