Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Cosmo
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    Cosmo
    You can get a 21" iMac for $1099 with 8gb of memory (which is plenty). I would do that and then if you feel like you need more memory down the road, upgrade it. You can get 8gb of memory for under...
    Today, 05:50 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Zoo Business Card Critique Wanted
    <b>
    I like the look, but that isn't the same as saying it's right for the job.

If the card were actually for the Bronx Zoo, you'd need to consider the current branding of the zoo, then make your...
    Today, 05:25 PM
  • Yehoshua
    Personal Logo Suggestions
    Yehoshua
    Developed a personal logo. Suggestions or comments? Thanks!

JK for my initials....
    Today, 05:16 PM
  • Yehoshua
    Reply to Cover Layout Feedback
    Yehoshua
    That's what I was looking for, thanks man. Do you have any tutorials or guides you could show me that could help me better understand typography and layout? That's probably been my biggest struggle thus...
    Today, 05:13 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Happy Halloween!!!!
    kemingMatters
    That reminds me of a Newfy joke lol
    Today, 04:42 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royalty Free Images 4 Commercial Use

I looked at the resource section in this thread but where does everyone purchase their royalty free images for commercial use? I looked at some of the sites that say they have royalty free images for commercial use but when you read the legal documentation, you can see that they cant be used. Also, how many times can you use an image?
    I am trying to figure out my pricing for creating cd artwork.

shutterstock is fairly decent for the price. istockphoto is getting pretty expensive considering it has virtually the same library, they do have some exclusive stuff though. Depending on what you are doing with the image you may have to purchase an extended licence from either place.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

I use Shutterstock, iStockPhoto, and BigStockPhoto. Usually I have to search all three of them to find the one I really want.
      http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

I mainly use iStock, but given the prices, I've now started using other sites (Shutterstock seems OK)

Comment

I want want to start designing cds but I am worried about the legal ramifications. I just want to make sure that these images are truly royalty free for commercial use. I will read over the license agreements.
          I see everything is bought with credits. This could be expensive. I might have to adjust my business plan.
          On average, if you design cds, how much money do you spend per project on photos?

Comment

Originally posted by DailyGraphicDes View Post
            I see everything is bought with credits. This could be expensive. I might have to adjust my business plan.
            On average, if you design cds, how much money do you spend per project on photos?
            That would depend entirely upon the client, their budget and then what is required based on the concept. It sounds like you are trying to make a value menu, in which case I would advise not doing so as some concepts will take longer to achieve than others and you would effectively devalue your work.

If you had a number of projects on the go concurrently, you could always go for a monthly subscription, while maintaining a standard cost for RF images.
            Design is not decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by DailyGraphicDes View Post
              I've designed several album covers but have never spent a penny on images. The artist has always provided me with the photos they want used, usually of themselves with the photographer's permission or ones that they've taken (in one instance, an old photo I'd taken years before). Perhaps I've just been lucky.

blog/portfolio

Comment

You have to be careful of the licensing on multi-printed product where quantities are involved. Even with the royalty free stuff on iStock and the like.

Comment

Some times the image cd's include extended licensing. I had gotten a few off of inmagine that offered that in addition to multiple-seats.

Comment

I use iStock, but as bulgariacalling said, their prices keep going up.

Comment

Thanks everyone for their input. It helped!

Comment

For stock images with no charge I use sxc.hu and morguefile.com

The images aren't necessarily posed or studio quality, but they are the only two sites I've found that offer a wide variety of print-quality stock images at no charge.

Once I start making enough money, I can move up to paying for stock images. Until then, I have to keep expenses low.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                        Working...
                        X