Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
retouching practice Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • retouching practice

    I really want to be a photo retoucher and need to practice a lot. I sometimes do competitions on worth100 but I need more specific portraiture retouching kind of stuff.
    Are there any sites out there? any ideas? suggestions?

  • #2
    Practice retouching on your own family photos. At least at the end of day, even if you don't win a competition, you have updated a family treasure.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

    Comment


    • #3
      I am just wanting critique is all and to have feedback.

      Comment


      • #4
        feel free to post some of your works here in the crit pit forum for some feedback.
        "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

        Comment


        • #5
          This post makes me wonder about the state of the business of photo-retouching.

          Does anyone actually do this anymore as a full-time career?

          Comment


          • #6
            Few and far between. Usually the retouching job is rolled into data asset management and archiving and possibly even the photography itself... And as far as what retouching encompasses these days...not sure how I'd describe that either.

            Comment


            • #7
              Sawman,
              There are a ton of examples and practice challenges on RetouchPro.com If you see a project that you really like and the artist did not post what he/she did just send them a message. Everyone is very helpful.
              *sings* "I am slowly going crazy 1.2.3.4.5.6. switch. Slowly crazy am I going 6.5.4.3.2.1. switch"

              Comment


              • #8
                My guess is to make money from retouching these days you have to show extraordinary skill at things that go way beyond fixing the obvious. And to pull it off with Ninja-level stealth. Another challenging area is working with originals that nobody else will touch, but the forensic guys. In fact, forensics may be one of the few areas where true image recovery skills pays quite well. Can mean getting some expensive tools though.

                Comment


                • #9
                  What, like Photoshop CSI?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Broacher View Post
                    This post makes me wonder about the state of the business of photo-retouching.

                    Does anyone actually do this anymore as a full-time career?
                    I saw a fulltime job advertised last week. It boosted my interest in it again.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well, I did a straight Google for jobs as retoucher and I have to say that the bulk of the listings were from Freelance.com. When I checked into a few it looked to me to be the graphic equivalent of sweatshop piece work.

                      But, maybe somewhere. The thing is, it used to be a highly skilled job. And mostly done with meticulous brush work. But like a lot of skills it's been so automated digitally, that just about anyone can do a half-decent job at it given a little training.

                      I hope the jobs you go for prove me wrong.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Isn't North Korea always getting caught trying to pass off photoshop hackery as the real deal? They could use a skilled photo retoucher. Then there was the hubbub over the retouched photos when the Gulf of Mexico oil spill was going on. Forget the low level stuff. You could put an ad in Soldier of Fortune magazine.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Broacher View Post
                          Well, I did a straight Google for jobs as retoucher and I have to say that the bulk of the listings were from Freelance.com. When I checked into a few it looked to me to be the graphic equivalent of sweatshop piece work.

                          But, maybe somewhere. The thing is, it used to be a highly skilled job. And mostly done with meticulous brush work. But like a lot of skills it's been so automated digitally, that just about anyone can do a half-decent job at it given a little training.

                          I hope the jobs you go for prove me wrong.
                          Back in the days of film, pre photoshop, I used to do this in a lab. I used some of the tiniest brushes and a magnifying glass.
                          “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Ah, retouching dyes. I also remember our reprographics instructor (reprographics, or the technology of print production, was a huge part of our college program curric) mentioning that one of the most highly paid job in the industry was a plate retoucher who would often get flown into large print plants, the old kind, with mega gravure plates and surgically alter the print plates with his tool box to correct something.

                            Never saw it myself, and often wondered what that process actually looked like in action.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Broacher View Post
                              Ah, retouching dyes. I also remember our reprographics instructor (reprographics, or the technology of print production, was a huge part of our college program curric) mentioning that one of the most highly paid job in the industry was a plate retoucher who would often get flown into large print plants, the old kind, with mega gravure plates and surgically alter the print plates with his tool box to correct something.

                              Never saw it myself, and often wondered what that process actually looked like in action.
                              And things like this make me wish I was born far, far earlier than I was. I can honestly say I'd rather be making a paste up or stripping a neg into a flat, instead of spending my time in front of a computer. Even printing was much, much more of an art form in yesteryear. Well, one can dream, I suppose. --- I'm just worried that digital technology will do to offset what offset did to traditional set type.

                              And there I go, hijacking a thread.

                              Unless you're working for a big magazine or high profile client, I really doubt you could get a job doing just retouching in this industry. (maybe with a photographer, but you'd probably be processing RAW files, and other related tasks too.) But hell, I'm a student, whadda' I know?

                              Comment

                               
                              home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X