Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PanToshi
    Reply to HI!
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF George

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 03:13 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Typography resources.
    BillyLogan
    Thanks for sharing! I'v been looking for this on the web for hours for my next project and here it is!
    Today, 03:13 AM
  • georgemaharis1
    HI!
    georgemaharis1
    Just posted in printing and prepress. Hope to see it approved shortly!
    Today, 12:36 AM
  • georgemaharis1
    Register from a Gerber to a Roland or vice versa?
    georgemaharis1
    I need to be able to routinely prototype / make comps of self adhesive labels. This includes both clear and opaque. I have access to a ROLAND VS which does a VERY good job, but the metallics it can...
    Today, 12:14 AM
  • desmiley1
    Reply to Illustrator won't let me highlight text?
    desmiley1
    Same here, new account...Thanks so much for posting this answer. The zombie post lives and has been re-awakened for 2014!
    Yesterday, 10:32 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding graphic design tablet sizes

I'm planning on purchasing a Intuos tablet for Christmas for a 23-inch Samsung SyncMaster 2333 for Photoshop and Illustrator. I noticed there are different sizes of Intuos tablets:

-Small
    -Medium
    -Large
    -Extra Large

What I'm confused about is, what were to happen if I get a tablet that is too small? Does it just mean the tablet is extra sensitive to what happens on-screen? If so, couldn't I just compensate for a small tablet's size my zooming in with Photoshop?

What size should I be using? The current Intuos 4 tablets seem very expensive in large and extra large sizes, so I want to try going as small as I can.
    David Scott: Graphic & Web Design.
    www.davidjscott.com

Originally posted by ReMeDy View Post
    What I'm confused about is, what were to happen if I get a tablet that is too small? Does it just mean the tablet is extra sensitive to what happens on-screen?
    Yes. matching your aspect ratio is more important in my opinion, this allows you to make the most use of the surface area of the tablet.

If so, couldn't I just compensate for a small tablet's size my zooming in with Photoshop?
    Yes. zoom is handy, I use a small tablet on a 27" screen and find no issue with it.

What size should I be using? The current Intuos 4 tablets seem very expensive in large and extra large sizes, so I want to try going as small as I can.
    This is subjective, it really depends on the way you work, the amount of desk space you're willing to give up and the amount of money you are willing to part with.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

Desk space is a really good issue to consider. I think I have a small and it works fine for what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
        Yes. matching your aspect ratio is more important in my opinion, this allows you to make the most use of the surface area of the tablet.
        In the tablet driver there are two main mapping modes -- how the tablet surface is mapped to the screen surface. Proportional and non-proportional. Non-proportional will give you the entire tablet surface to work with as a 'live' area. BUT, you try and draw a simple square and you're out of luck as it distorts if your monitor is anything different than the tablets area proportion.

Proportional gives you square-squares but again, if your monitor setup is different in ratio (as in a dual monitor approach), expect to lose a good portion of your lower part of the tablet.

Myself, I prefer proportional. And since I have a dual mon setup, it means I lose the bottom third of the tablet. Which is why I use a 12 inch tablet.

Comment

Broacher, I also prefer proportional because it reacts the way a normal pen/pencil/paintbrush would. This is why I mentioned aspect ratio, because when the aspect ratio of the tablet matches your screen, you have no dead space on your tablet.
          Design is not decoration.

Comment

I remember long, long ago... using a third-party tablet driver/app that was very customizable for the user and one of the things that intrigued me with this app was the ability to design customized tablet templates to assign functions and launches etc. to designated areas of the tablet. In particular, it allowed you to reclaim 'dead' tablet space for such functions. And it would print this out, you slip it under the plastic cover, and there you go.

Wish that Wacom would bring that into their drivers.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
            Working...
            X