Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Roth
    Reply to What do you think of my video game cover art?
    Roth
    This is inferior to the original in every way. PD made some very good points already to do with hierarchy, and energy. There are basically three elements, the figure, the name, and the background, so...
    Today, 12:14 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to Logo for a supplement company
    Roth
    This is a bit of a stretch. It's like you saw the H in the weights, ran with it, hit a creative wall and tried really hard to make the rest fit. The logo and name are out of proportion to one another...
    Yesterday, 11:50 PM
  • extraordenary
    extraordenary
    Professional designers either create the images themselves, or get it from someone else with respects to the copyrights. Designers often make sure that the image they have is royalty-free so they don't...
    Yesterday, 11:14 PM
  • graphic91
    graphic91
    Umm...really? I know about the design rules, but where to look first? There's not that much information or "look-at-mes" on it and it's just the cover of a video game. Most people who want to...
    Yesterday, 10:34 PM
  • Lucifer
    Reply to Your thoughts on this logo?
    Lucifer
    I like it. I like the way you've done the spacing.
    Yesterday, 10:32 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite place to get free textures...

I only use textures for very particular things, but I usually download free textures and manipulate them.
    What is your favorite site for (completely) free textures?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by skinnytieguy; 11-09-2011, 02:57 AM.

I try to create my own textures when I can. They're better quality that ones that I find online and I know they're original. But the again, I'm pretty lucky, when it comes to paper textures, I've got a whole warehouse of paper out the back and a scanner at my desk.

I used to use Mayang's textures quite a bit but haven't done in recent years. I think their website went down for a few years so I stopped relying on them.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Because of the copyright issues usually associated with "free", we usually create our own.

I also use filter forge for something quick.

Jo

Comment

So there aren't any no-strings-attached free texture sites? Even if they are somewhat manipulated?

Comment

Originally posted by skinnytieguy View Post
          So there aren't any no-strings-attached free texture sites? Even if they are somewhat manipulated?
          Changing a design a certain percentage to "make it your own" is a MYTH. Using any part of another persons artwork is a derivative and subject to copyright laws.

I strongly suggest you research copyright laws before launching your business. I believe there is a website PD often speaks of. Ahh, here it is.

http://www.copyright.gov/
          Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Originally posted by PanToshi View Post
            Changing a design a certain percentage to "make it your own" is a MYTH. Using any part of another persons artwork is a derivative and subject to copyright laws.

I strongly suggest you research copyright laws before launching your business. I believe there is a website PD often speaks of. Ahh, here it is.

http://www.copyright.gov/
            I understand copyright laws. I am asking this question in context of "free" textures. If a site or an artist offers a texture as free, and I manipulate it, then it shouldn't be violating any copyright laws. Am I wrong in assuming that?

Like I said, I rarely use textures in what I do, so I am unfamiliar with how they are obtained.

Comment

"free" can bite you in the ass.
              Even with 'free' images, we get a signed release. If we can't get the release, we don't use the image.

Textures, usually just make them up. Buda has a warehouse full of paper. We have a warehouse full of some of the strangest things imaginable. Fabrics, burlaps, plastics, glass, exotic and not so exotic real wood veneers, metals, meshes, stone, even the dust in the corners can be glittery fun stuff...I always keep the 2nd best scanner for this crap.

Comment

The bathroom. Usually at around 4 - 5 am. I always carry my Nintendo DSi with me in my robe pocket. (Keep it by the night stand for note jots)

I use most of my textures in low-rez, black and white stuff. It works well.

Some prime areas:
                - the sink
                - floor tiles
                - window glass
                - curtains
                - reflective surfaces
                - towels, facecloths
                - drawers
                - counter surfaces

Comment

Originally posted by skinnytieguy View Post
                  I understand copyright laws. I am asking this question in context of "free" textures. If a site or an artist offers a texture as free, and I manipulate it, then it shouldn't be violating any copyright laws. Am I wrong in assuming that?
                  [I am not an attorney] Yes, you could be wrong in making that assumption. It depends on the EULA of the individual piece of art/texture/photo/drawing/type/etc/etc.

free of cost ≠ free from copyright restrictions.

For example: I give away free stuff, but my copyright states that the "free" item cannot be used for commercial purposes, cannot be manipulated or changed in any way, (non-derivative), and must be attributed to me.

Personally, I would get some "real" advice (versus from random folks like me on the internet) from an attorney about the legalities of starting a business, about the issues involved with copyright, C&D orders, liabilities, lawsuits, etc... but, that's just me.
                  Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Personally, I make them or take the pictures myself. I might end up with something that looks like something else...but, I bet it didn't start out that way. LOL I have a collection of junk in my basement for designing scratchbuilt models...old TV remotes, pill bottles, etc....and plenty of fabrics in that mess also. I just get out the camera and start clicking. Then...I'll change everything in PS. LOL
                    "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

I make my own also. Textures are everywhere; snap a macro shot with your camera for stuff you can't scan and alter it to your hearts content. It's not too difficult to make a texture seamless if you need it to be.

It's free and free from potential lawsuit (provided you didn't steal a camera, scanner, computer, software, or attempt to make textures from inappropriate hidden camera shots)
                      Last edited by kemingMatters; 11-09-2011, 02:00 PM.
                      Design is not decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by PanToshi View Post
                        [I am not an attorney] Yes, you could be wrong in making that assumption. It depends on the EULA of the individual piece of art/texture/photo/drawing/type/etc/etc.

free of cost ≠ free from copyright restrictions.

For example: I give away free stuff, but my copyright states that the "free" item cannot be used for commercial purposes, cannot be manipulated or changed in any way, (non-derivative), and must be attributed to me.

Personally, I would get some "real" advice (versus from random folks like me on the internet) from an attorney about the legalities of starting a business, about the issues involved with copyright, C&D orders, liabilities, lawsuits, etc... but, that's just me.
                        Thanks for the input. You keep referring to "my business"...but this texture question is somewhat unrelated. Like I said, I rarely use textures, I was just curious so I have the information in my back pocket.

Thanks everybody!
                        Unfortunately I live in a small, clean apartment with not a lot of "natural" texture around... guess I need to find an abandoned warehouse with some crap in it

Comment

Some of the best commercial collections of good textures can be found in the world of 3D modelling.

You can also get texture generators which give you almost unlimited control at a fractal level. I have the AlienSkin texturizer Photoshop plugin, and for real nice grungy textures, the very excellent Machine Wash by Mister Retro.

Comment

The problem with a lot of 3D modeling textures is resolution.

Comment

I'm a little confused. Does this issue apply to everything? Such as fonts? Even if they are "free for commercial use"? Maybe I'm just ignorant but when things say free for commercial use I am just taken that to mean what it says...

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X