Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to Design Quotes
    PrintDriver
    While I agree, Salsa, that this should be part of a business class project, I fully believe that students of design should be taking just such a class. Then maybe so many of them would find out that freelancing...
    Today, 11:18 AM
  • StudioMonkey
    Reply to Attractive compact sans - requires identification
    StudioMonkey
    You could always ask Scary Spice . . .
    Today, 10:42 AM
  • salsa
    Reply to Design Quotes
    salsa
    They want you to do a mock quote and didn't tell you how to do it? That's strange that they would even do this because there are a lot of steps in the real world of business that you have to go through...
    Today, 02:33 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to New Logo for a Glass Bottle Cutting Device
    Buda
    I don't see any progression. It's the same concept.

Try and work on some more interesting concepts.

Things to think about:
    Who is the target market?
    What is the...
    Today, 01:51 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Critique for my logos
    Buda
    What is your background? Are you a student or a designer?

These don't look like real logos to me because they can't be used in the real world. It looks like you have thought up concepts but...
    Today, 01:47 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the last Art/Design book you read?

What's the last Art/Design book you read?

I've never read one, lol. I do all my reading off the Internet and subscribe to Communication Arts, but those are more like over-sized magazines.
    David Scott: Graphic & Web Design.
    www.davidjscott.com

Comment

Read? I don't know that I've ever sat down and read one cover to cover like a novel. Mostly, I skim through, use them as reference, look at a lot of examples, etc.

This week, I'm reading (well, skimming through and studying examples) Dieter Rams: As Little Design as Possible, by Sophie Lovell.

Comment

Currently I'm reading Real World Print Production with adobe Creative Suite by Claudia McCue

Though I haven't come near finishing it yet, it seems pretty insightful, and is a relatively easy read.
        I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.
        -Louisa May Alcott

Comment

This:

Comment

I've never seen that book jld. Is it one in a series?
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

It's apart of a series that showcase design work (mostly illustrative and alternative) from all parts of the world.

It's roughly 210 pages. 208 of those pages showcase work from Australia, Singapore, Indonesia and The Philippines whilst 2 pages showcase work from New Zealand :\.
              Last edited by jld; 12-08-2011, 06:38 PM.

Comment

I also don't usually "read" design books, straight through, I tend to look at them more. The last one I can remember actually reading was Daniel B. Updike's Printing Types, Their History, Form and Use (Vol. II).

I was reading a history of lettering, but it was rough going, and overdue.

I've also been going through Graphic Design History piecemeal at the public library. I'll usually take a look at anything with Stephen Heller's name on it.
                People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
                -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

I tend to read more marketing books than design books. Just finished 'Brandwashed' by Martin Lindstrom. Not bad. A little... marketing-book-ish.

Comment

Originally posted by jld View Post
                    208 of those pages showcase work from Australia, Singapore, Indonesia and The Philippines whilst 2 pages showcase work from New Zealand :\.
                    Wow 2 whole pages from NZ in an Australia/NZ book. How on earth did they manage to find enough to show?
                    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Broacher View Post
                      I tend to read more marketing books than design books. Just finished 'Brandwashed' by Martin Lindstrom. Not bad. A little... marketing-book-ish.
                      DO WANT.

Originally posted by budafist View Post
                      Wow 2 whole pages from NZ in an Australia/NZ book. How on earth did they manage to find enough to show?
                      I know. It's rather pathetic considering there is an ocean of worthy work from this country that could have ended up in that book.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Adobe...3440611&sr=1-1

Adobe's Printing Guide.
                        "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

The Cheese Monkeys...

I find myself reading fewer design books lately, I try to be inspired by life and not what other people have already done. (not counting textbooks or resource books because I use them for reference which really doesn't count as reading IMO)
                          Design is not decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
                            The Cheese Monkeys...
                            Almost 10 years ago I read a novel from the public library about a graphic designer. One thing that attracted me to the book was there was text printed on the thumbh edge of the pages so that if the book was sitting closed on a table, you could see a message. Was it Cheese Monkeys?

Comment

Originally posted by budafist View Post
                              Almost 10 years ago I read a novel from the public library about a graphic designer. One thing that attracted me to the book was there was text printed on the thumbh edge of the pages so that if the book was sitting closed on a table, you could see a message. Was it Cheese Monkeys?
                              Probably. The book has "Good is Dead" printed along the page edges. I used to have it until a year ago when I culled out my book collection. Any book I hadn't read yet I looked through the first few pages of and decided whether I was really ever going to read it. Cheese Monkeys didn't make the cut.
                              People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
                              -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X