Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Any tutorials out there for creating the Wood for a poker table? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• vaprarts
    Reply to critique my branding attempt
    vaprarts
    I was thinking of sizes all the way down to a favicon 16px x 16px Ill hop back on the sketching.. Im less worried about the branding now as i realize i dont need it.. At the same time being its for myself...
    Yesterday, 11:40 PM
  • sybli
    Comment on How well do you see color? (fun & games)
    sybli
    Lol, yeah, you have one minute to get as many as you can . But I'm not surprised the cookies won. The always wi..*nom* *nom* *nom*.
    Yesterday, 09:52 PM
  • Ryukori
    Hello GDF
    Ryukori
    Hello everyone, I'm from Canada and I've been completing graphics requests for over 3 years. I mainly use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator software.
    Yesterday, 09:33 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Friend as a client - problem
    <b>
    You know, I wouldn't really consider it a complete loss. Looking back, I made some mistakes early in my career that cost me money. At the time, I was upset, but the money I've saved by heeding what I...
    Yesterday, 09:25 PM
  • creare
    Reply to Logo forum graphic design
    creare

is true , thanks...
    Yesterday, 09:18 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tutorials out there for creating the Wood for a poker table?

Hi, I need to do a job where I need to rebrand some of the blackjack/poker tables for someone. There's is currently outdated and need a modern look. They want to have some 3D aspect to it so you can actually see a wooden edge all around the tables. I'm not really sure how I can do this.

Anyone know of any tutorials that can help me out?

You're in luck, that stuff literally grows on trees!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lumberjack View Post
      Win.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

You got a gig doing poker felts without any experience? Way to go!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lumberjack View Post
          Heh...made my day!

Originally posted by newtodesigning View Post
          Hi, I need to do a job where I need to rebrand some of the blackjack/poker tables for someone. There's is currently outdated and need a modern look. They want to have some 3D aspect to it so you can actually see a wooden edge all around the tables. I'm not really sure how I can do this.

Anyone know of any tutorials that can help me out?
          newtodesigning, I think you need to realize this is a forum full of, for the most part, creative professionals or people studying to become creative professionals. To come on here asking for help is one thing. To come on here, saying you've convinced a client into providing work for you without having any experience yourself, and then asking us to help save your ass, well that's entirely different.

Comment

I don't get what I did wrong here. I'm simply asking for some help, to direct me to some tutorials, it's not like I'm asking someone else here to do it for me and give it to me, just to direct me to some good tutorials.

I can do everything else the client needs, just unsure on how to make the wood framing around it. I didn't think I did anything wrong for asking for some tutorials on it.

Comment

I'm currently working on some blackjack felts myself - if you google "realistic woodgrain + Photoshop" you'll have plenty of tutorials to choose from.

I don't think you did anything wrong. I read your post 3 times to see what the fuss was about. I get that the names lets people know you're a newbie, but unless I missed something - we were ALL new to design at one point. You weren't asking to have the work done for you, just a helpful point in the right direction. Reaching out on forum like this is why we're here!
              SIZE DOES MATTER!

Comment

That's what I'm saying Satchel, I did nothing wrong here. When I tried searching it all I got was how to make wood flooring, picture frames, text effects, ect. I'll try searching again though with that.

I also need to make the felt texture for it and will be looking for a tutorial on this as well. If I had some felt around the house like on those tables an easy solution might be to take a picture of it and repeat the texture, but I don't have access to that so will need to have that made in photoshop.

Comment

Sigh, no you didn't do anything wrong. Some people just have to be dicks, try and ignore them.

But yeah, there are wood tutorials all over the place.

Providing realistic 3d renderings seems a little excessive though. I hope you are charging accordingly. I personally would just sub that out since it doesn't look like you have much experience with it.

Comment

...just to direct me to some good tutorials.
                    It's funny you mentioned good tutorials - that is actually the name of a pretty comprehenisve tutorial site:

http://www.good-tutorials.com/
                    SIZE DOES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Kool View Post
                      Sigh, no you didn't do anything wrong. Some people just have to be dicks, try and ignore them.

But yeah, there are wood tutorials all over the place.

Providing realistic 3d renderings seems a little excessive though. I hope you are charging accordingly. I personally would just sub that out since it doesn't look like you have much experience with it.
                      He's not asking for complex 3D like you would need to do in 3D studio or something, but some kind of a 3D look to the wood. Just something that shows the table having wood going around it. Right now all the tables don't have that edge around the table.

Comment

You need to make a felt texture?
                        How are these being made/printed?
                        Quite honestly if I needed a wood grain, I'd just do what lumberjack insinuates. I'd go out to the shop, and start taking photos of lumber, then go to town in Photoshop. Doing a faked woodgrain almost always looks faked. And it takes far too much time if you are learning on the clock.

Comment

This is used for the web not print. I really just need to make the realistic wood around it. The texture I'm finding doesn't really give it the realistic 3D look I need. I'm looking for something where I can make a wooden edge around the table and making it look a little 3d. This wooden texture as you can see doesn't really work.

I'm just not sure what effect I can apply to give a realistic look. Right now as you can see this wooden thing I have going on right now wont cut it at all.

Comment

This is used for the web not print. I really just need to make the realistic wood around it. The texture I'm finding doesn't really give it the realistic 3D look I need. I'm looking for something where I can make a wooden edge around the table and making it look a little 3d. This wooden texture as you can see doesn't really work.

I'm just not sure what effect I can apply to give a realistic look. Right now as you can see this wooden thing I have going on right now wont cut it at all.
                            What do you mean by "3D"?

If you're looking for textures, there are a bunch of places on the net that offer loads of textures. Most stock sites such as getty and istock, and texture only sites like cgtextures.com all have pretty extensive libraries of photos and textures.

As far as creating your own, there's plenty of "tutorial sites" out there. PSD tuts sometimes has some gems, try searching for "wood texture" or something along those lines on there.

Comment

This is used for the web not print.
                              It seems like I wasn't the only one to think this was a real table. Not everyone is into online gambling terminology.

Either way, the best wood is the kind that grows in the forest. You can borrow my axe, or you can purchase a texture. Do you have Adobe Photoshop Advanced? Perhaps the 3D features will do the job.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X