Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Juniberry
    Reply to Wordpress theme and plugin help for print company.
    Juniberry
    I should also mention that a theme that supports the visual composer would be excellent....
    Today, 05:54 AM
  • Juniberry
    Wordpress theme and plugin help for print company.
    Juniberry
    Howdy-doody fellas and bellas, I'm just after some quick advice from those of you out there with plenty of experience choosing and working with WP themes.

Attached is a template/guide to...
    Today, 05:53 AM
  • arielr190
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    arielr190
    the business is online. print-wise, the smallest it will ever get is a business card.
    Today, 03:53 AM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to UX tips
    lowfatgraphics
    Hmm This isn't UX, it is UI... Its common to get the two mixed up but having worked in UX and now UI, there is a pretty big difference.

Now from a UI stand point, there isn't much here...aside...
    Today, 03:52 AM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Candy Shop Logo
    lowfatgraphics
    "S" is tough to read-- looks interesting. the glossy highlights seem to have multiple light sources tho...might want to double check.
    Today, 03:43 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What software to use?

This is my first post here so be gentle on me, please.

So for christmas I got a Wacom Bamboo tablet which I planned to use mostly for school. (Using cross-section paper as background and having the things I type digitally)

Now I understand this is not really the topic of this forum but what software would you suggest for that work ? The one that came with the Bamboo is not very good in my opinion as I lack some options I would like to use.

Also I would like to get into digital drawing, as I enjoy drawing very much and now that I have a tablet why not do it on the computer.
    What software would you suggest for this? I have seen some people talking about Adobe and others about Illustrator, which is better for what kind of work ?

If there are posts regarding exactly this topic, feel free to link me to those incase I am too stupid to find them. Thanks in advance.

Adobe is not a software. Adobe makes software.

So to answer your question...

- Drawing software (if you want it vector) is Adobe Illustrator. You can also use Adobe Photoshop if you are "painting" the art piece.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the first question...?
    What are you trying to transfer via your tablet?
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Adobe is the company that makes Illustrator, so they're essentially one in the same. They also make a little program you may have heard of called Photoshop.

Illustrator is geared toward vector illustration, for things like logos and cartoons and such. Some examples:

Photoshop is photo-editing software, so it's best for manipulating photos or illustration that has a more painted or hand-sketched look. For example:

Last edited by Virgo Nightingale; 01-11-2012, 08:35 PM.

blog/portfolio

Comment

I need a software where i can have cross-section paper as background on screen so I can make small drawings of maths problems or the like, if you know what I mean.

Comment

With a tablet, Corel Painter is fantastic for how you can mimic paint, charcoal, pencil, etc. I have used it off and on for years in many different versions and combined with a tablet, it's really quite something =)

As Audentia mentioned the standard graphic design software is made by Adobe: Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat.
          Seriously, read this.

Comment

Ah I think I know what you mean Frozen.
            All of the Adobe products mentioned for your purposes (Illustrator and Photoshop) have a grid function that you can turn on or off. it doesn't print and is only a placeholder for the designer to use.
            I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

But if you want a grid that prints, you just create one using the line tool on any programme.
              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I'm not gonna print a whole lot but thanks for your help everyone!

Are there any guides/tutorials for those programs around?

Comment

adobe is a company which provides wonderful software products and you can use Corel Painter for your maths problem.

Comment

Just do a Google search, there are literally THOUSANDS out there for each program.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by rickypounting View Post
                      adobe is a company which provides wonderful software products and you can use Corel Painter for your maths problem.
                      A bit contradictory, no? Adobe is wonderful, use Corel instead?

Corel Painter is geared towards digital art and simulates a wide variety of methods and media. You wouldn't do your math homework in conté crayon, would you?

If you want to do math equations digitally, you don't want to draw it by hand, you want to use a typesetting system. The most practical one is LaTeX, and it's free.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lumberjack View Post
                        A bit contradictory, no? Adobe is wonderful, use Corel instead?

Corel Painter is geared towards digital art and simulates a wide variety of methods and media. You wouldn't do your math homework in conté crayon, would you?

If you want to do math equations digitally, you don't want to draw it by hand, you want to use a typesetting system. The most practical one is LaTeX, and it's free.
                        I can guarantee you I'm faster by hand than doing it digitally. Especially when there's a lot to draw since what I will be using it for won't be pure maths but rather electrotechnical equations and the like.

But thank you everyone for helping! Feel free to close this, I should be helped for now.

Comment

In that case, a simple whiteboard is by far the most efficient and user-friendly solution!

You'll be expected to typeset your written reports and papers, perhaps not now, but later in your career. There is a bit of a learning curve, but the sooner you get used to it the better.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                          Working...
                          X