Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• kemingMatters
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    kemingMatters
    I also vote keep it BUT I think you should consider bumping it down a few point sizes to soften it's intensity a bit.

I would also suggest you revisit the kerning and consider joining some...
    Today, 01:26 PM
  • monica100
    Reply to Photos and banner ads...
    monica100
    I thing photoshop is the best tool. You must to save pictures as jpeg or png with the final resolution and then you must to use a tool to reduce image size like optimizesuite.

Enj...
    Today, 11:43 AM
  • DanCMU
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    DanCMU
    The period, to me, makes it more of an assertion rather than a suggestion. I know that's not what that's used for (technically speaking) but it makes it pack a little more punch.

I vote to...
    Today, 11:03 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Dissertation topic
    PrintDriver
    What's a selfie?
    Just kidding.
    Narcissistic for the most part, more fleeting than a hashtag in general, and somehow people think they can make social statements with them. Society has become...
    Today, 10:48 AM
  • <b>
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    <b>
    I agree, the Canoscan is a good scanner -- especially for the price. I've bought a couple of Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanners for work, and would do so again if they're still made. They've been very...
    Today, 03:54 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create or buy when time stressed?

I've heard a lot of graphic designer saying that they create all their graphic resources. But, sometimes, to save time, isn't it better to get some already done resources which you can modify as you wish?

Are you talking about things we can physically create at our desks or photography, textures etc. as well?

Comment

Depends on what the budget and deadline will allow.

blog/portfolio

Comment

I'm talking about creating or buying a texture, an addon, a style, stuff like that. Vector elements such as florals for examples..

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
          Depends on what the budget and deadline will allow.
          QFT - also depends on the usage; is this something that you may want to re-use for other pieces?
          Design is not decoration.

Comment

^That too.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Budget and Deadline are a huge factor. If you have the time to do something yourself do it. It adds to your portfolio and is easier on your wallet.
              Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

I'll make them when I have to. If I can find something ready made and legal to use from online then all the better.

The last thing I made was a bookshelf for our eBookstore.

I've also created a textured leaf with waterdroplets for a book cover before. Simply because the stock imagery was a lot of money and client didn't want to pay. I created a texture he liked for a fraction of the price that he was happy to pay.

It's good to have skills for moments like those.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Sometimes it goes the other way around too, where you get an idea in your mind but can't find a resource that depicts it as you would want, and you simply have to create it from scratch.

I had a client that needed a flyer to announce/publicize their seminar on food recalls. I couldn't find an inexpensive enough image that communicated the idea of a product recall, but I found an image on Google that was perfect – it was a news photo of an empty supermarket shelf with a taped-on paper sign explaining the recall. Of course, I couldn't use that exact image because it would have been copyright infringement. So... I used it as inspiration and re-created the idea of the image, and customized it specifically for the client. It was simple enough to create the basis of the image in Illustrator and add some blurring and other details in Photoshop. Didn't look 100% photo-realistic, but it worked perfectly for what I/the client needed.

blog/portfolio

Comment

I have done both. When possible, I like to create from scratch (as I'm sure everyone else does). But, I have bought stuff as well. Right now I'm redesigning a web site for a local non-profit group. I'm doing it pro bono, so I bought a $20 web template that already had all the features they wanted and a layout they liked. It was easier and quicker for me to buy a template that I can customize that will work than to spend hours developing one from scratch. The end result is they get something they like, so how it comes about isn't a big deal.
                    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                    Working...
                    X