Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• iyiyi
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    iyiyi
    Other than Cosmo, have any of you had "bricking" issues with mac minis? I have done a lot of research and he is the first person to bring up that issue. And fwiw, I was planning on getting a...
    Today, 08:38 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Comment on 48" Single sided retractable banner stand with 2 poles?
    KitchWitch
    Hi SamEvs and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links below. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 08:25 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    kemingMatters
    "The best 2014 mac mini is a 2012 mac mini" FTW
    Today, 08:21 PM
  • Cosmo
    Cosmo
    Yeah. After reading that, I feel even more strongly about my opinion to not buy one.

I would look for a gently-used (or refurbished) iMac.
    Today, 08:15 PM
  • Cosmo
    Cosmo
    We had four of them. One lasted a year. The others not so long. I believe it's the fact that the Minis don't cool very well. I know ours always ran hot.

I've also heard that the new Minis...
    Today, 08:13 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a good resource on hand-lettering

Hello all,

I'm looking around for a good resource (book, course, website, etc...) for hand lettering. Some of my favorite illustrations and graphic work contain hand lettered scripts and such. I usually end up using options that get me close to what I see in my mind, but I'd love to be able to create my own lettering, scripts, etc... Might anyone have a resource they would recommend? Thanks!

-jon

Have you looked into calligraphy books/classes or anything like that? I don't know any book titles myself, sorry.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Hi Jon and welcome to GDF.

Calligraphy is learned by study, copying and lots of practice. There's nothing that will teach you more about seeing a letter than recreating it. First by sight and then later by memory.

We ask all new members to read the threads posted HERE and HERE. They explain how the forum runs, the rules, frequently discussed topics and our inside jokes.
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

There's the Speedball Textbook: http://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-textbook/

As already mentioned, though, you can see pictures in books and get good tips on techniques and tools, but in the end, it's practice, practice and more practice that counts.

I've never had enough interest in it to practice, but when I was just starting out, I had the opportunity to work on some projects with an older guy who was probably in his late 70s or, even, 80s at the time. His name was Maurice Scanlon, and the design studio where I worked would hire him for special projects that required handwritten script and ultra-fancy calligraphy of various sorts. The guy had been doing it all his life, and watching him work absolutely fascinated me. He could make a pen and a bottle of India Ink do anything. It was like watching magic happen.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome! I know noobs aren't welcome some places, but this seems like a great place to dig in and learn.

I learn by doing, so practice practice practice sounds right up my ally Where I live there really aren't resources for classes, so I gather a lot from books. Are there any further recommendations on books? Is it advisable to start with calligraphy alphabets and then move on to other types of handlettering?

Comment

Starting with Calligraphy isn't a bad idea but if you want to do it even semi-professionally you should also look into hand-rendered typography and typographic style/rules in general.

One idea would be to find some of the better visual art and design colleges classes and find out if they use a textbook of any kind. (can't suggest the ones I have, they are from the pre-computer days, ha!)

Good luck!
            Seriously, read this.

Comment

thanks maynard. That's a good idea.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
              Working...
              X