Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    <b>
    I agree, the Canoscan is a good scanner -- especially for the price. I've bought a couple of Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanners for work, and would do so again if they're still made. They've been very...
    Today, 03:54 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    PanToshi
    Adding my vote for keeping it.
    Today, 03:31 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Glad to Be Here Now!
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Tess

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 02:44 AM
  • PanToshi
    Comment on Where do you find talent?
    PanToshi
    Yep, like I said, freelancers who are hoping to work full-time for the company for which they are occasionally freelancing are unemployed designers who are freelancing until they find full-time work.
    Today, 02:40 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Comment on Where do you find talent?
    MichaelWied
    The "freelancers" are basically there to be called in if a big project comes up and they need the extra hand, and these are designers hoping to get a full time spot at the company.
    Today, 01:51 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Museum of Art Supplies

http://www.forgottenartsupplies.com/

Interesting stuff here

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

I still use quite a few of those things to create my art and teach with.

Comment

That's awesome, a little stroll down memory lane! I still have a bunch of old stuff like that laying around.
      “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

I still have a few of those things floating around

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Hmm...maybe that's why I feel so stunted sometimes. When I was going to school, these things were still being used. Fast forward 10 or so years to when I finally get to complete my education, and everything is digital :/

I still have a lot of this stuff too...especially the drawing tools.
          “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.”
          -Louisa May Alcott

Comment

Ha, ha, the very notion, art and graphics being done manually with hand tools? Without even Photoshop? Preposterous! Really, you guys will go to any length for a joke, won't you? Good one.

Seriously, though, that's a great site. I have a couple of ruling pens and I use them whenever possible.
            People will believe anything, which means I will believe anything…I want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
            -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Brilliant site! I have a bunch of that stuff too, some I still use like french curves and the long ship curves. I must have a half dozen erasing shields, all still in use. Old pencils, markers, beveled triangles, xacto knives - intoxicating.

The vintage books are cool too. I'll occasionally haunt the old book stores for vintage paper, especially when I travel to other cities. I've scored a few gems in excellent condition for next to nothing.

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Totally bookmarked. Not sure I use much of these anymore... I paint some. I occasionally use my X-acto as a dart against the cork board.
                The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Interesting that a bunch of us still have a bunch of this stuff, some of it currently in use. The interview with Daniel Pelavin on FAS responds likewise with "Throw away art supplies? Seriously?"

I agree. Some art tools are obsolete while others become timeless and individually relevant. Even though they may be dried up, broken, thin, blunt nibs and torn, we keep them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by justdrawit View Post
                    Interesting that a bunch of us still have a bunch of this stuff, some of it currently in use. The interview with Daniel Pelavin on FAS responds likewise with "Throw away art supplies? Seriously?"

I agree. Some art tools are obsolete while others become timeless and individually relevant. Even though they may be dried up, broken, thin, blunt nibs and torn, we keep them anyway.
                    I just, after keeping and never using it for 10 years, threw away a box full of oil paints. They were so crusty and gross it was terrible...and they had been that way for years. I just kept storing them. It took a lot for me to finally dispose of them, lol.

I have been hoarding supplies since I was a kid, actually. I had old book bags full of scraps of fabrics, leather gloves and aprons (my Dad is a welder), toothbrushes, paper clips...anything I thought I might be able to use someday to make my model horse tack or other such projects, stuffed in my closet....I was about 11 years old when I started that. Prior to that I would steal paper and writing utensils and stash them in this chest my Mom bought me to keep the stuff in. One of my favorite (and earliest) drawing tools was my old Mickey Mouse light up drawing board. I still have that too

Today I have two large dressers, a book shelf, and that old chest full of crap, and whatever is still lurking in my parent's attic. All art and craft related. My husband calls me a hoarder, lol...it's great to hear that I'm not the only one!
                    Last edited by AlwaysLearning; 02-06-2012, 02:38 AM.
                    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.”
                    -Louisa May Alcott

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                    Working...
                    X