Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Looking to interview an experienced Graphic Designer for a research paper... Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    <b>
    I agree, the Canoscan is a good scanner -- especially for the price. I've bought a couple of Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanners for work, and would do so again if they're still made. They've been very...
    Today, 03:54 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    PanToshi
    Adding my vote for keeping it.
    Today, 03:31 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Glad to Be Here Now!
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Tess

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 02:44 AM
  • PanToshi
    Comment on Where do you find talent?
    PanToshi
    Yep, like I said, freelancers who are hoping to work full-time for the company for which they are occasionally freelancing are unemployed designers who are freelancing until they find full-time work.
    Today, 02:40 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Comment on Where do you find talent?
    MichaelWied
    The "freelancers" are basically there to be called in if a big project comes up and they need the extra hand, and these are designers hoping to get a full time spot at the company.
    Today, 01:51 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to interview an experienced Graphic Designer for a research paper...

Forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong category... I'm new here.

I'm looking to ask an experienced graphic designer to ask a few simple questions for a research paper (not help writing, but just a few general questions about the occupation, short and sweet). I'm looking to pursue a career in graphic design, so this is the topic I've chosen to write the paper on.

If somebody could get back to me on this forum or through a personal message, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I'll be glad to answer some questions. PM me for my info if you're interested.
    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Hi Create, welcome to the forum. You'll need more posts in order to receive PMs. As an alternative, you could post the questions here in this thread and get several designers to answer.

We ask all new members to read the threads posted HERE and HERE. They explain how the forum runs, the rules, frequently discussed topics and our inside jokes.
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo View Post
        I'll be glad to answer some questions. PM me for my info if you're interested.
        If you don't mind, go for it. I'll do as @garricks suggested and edit the post and put the questions there, so anybody else who wished to contribute can.

Thanks!

Comment

[edit]I had to post a new reply to post the question, but, here they are...[/edit]

1. A lot of people assume that if you work in the graphic design field, the job absolutely must be easy or "not too challenging," since most of your work is done on a computer. Of course, this is not true, there's much more to take into consideration. What do you have to say about this?

2. What is the workload you can expect through this career?

3. There's a lot of learning involved... Do you find yourself learning new things all the time?

4. What do clients usually look for?

5. Do you implement any other type of occupation through graphic design (i.e web design, web development, etc)

Comment

1. A lot of people assume that if you work in the graphic design field, the job absolutely must be easy or "not too challenging," since most of your work is done on a computer. Of course, this is not true, there's much more to take into consideration. What do you have to say about this?
            The prevalence of do-it-yourself software out there makes this seem to be the case to the layman. It isn't the computer or the software that makes a designer, it is being trained in theory and being able to apply skills learned by experience. The computer is only a tool, like a carpenter's hammer. Anyone can use a hammer, but can they build a house?

As much as you can handle, and then some. Expect to work on multiple projects at one time. Learn to manage your time and your due dates. You cannot miss your due dates.

3. There's a lot of learning involved... Do you find yourself learning new things all the time?
            If you stop learning you will fall behind.

Results. If you can prove your design work brings in results, that, and a good reputation, will take you far.

5. Do you implement any other type of occupation through graphic design (i.e web design, web development, etc)
            I work in a weird little niche of the design industry. By other type of occupation do you mean things like interactive design, educational design, exhibit design, experiential design, environmental design? Everyone just looks at print/web design as the be-all-end-all of the Graphic Design field. There's far more out there. If you know where to look.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
              The prevalence of do-it-yourself software out there makes this seem to be the case to the layman. It isn't the computer or the software that makes a designer, it is being trained in theory and being able to apply skills learned by experience. The computer is only a tool, like a carpenter's hammer. Anyone can use a hammer, but can they build a house?

As much as you can handle, and then some. Expect to work on multiple projects at one time. Learn to manage your time and your due dates. You cannot miss your due dates.

If you stop learning you will fall behind.

Results. If you can prove your design work brings in results, that, and a good reputation, will take you far.

I work in a weird little niche of the design industry. By other type of occupation do you mean things like interactive design, educational design, exhibit design, experiential design, environmental design? Everyone just looks at print/web design as the be-all-end-all of the Graphic Design field. There's far more out there. If you know where to look.
              Thank you so much!

Comment

A computer is a tool. The tool is only as good as the person using it. If you put a scalpel in my hand I may very well be able to cut you open. But, can I do it as well as a trained surgeon? Of course not.

The workload can vary, but the deadlines are never as far out as you'd like.

There is a lot of learning to do. Not only learning the new software when it comes out, but also staying on top of new trends and ideas.

Good work. I've found clients don't really care what the price is if the work is done well.

I do a lot of web work. These days it's probably 40% web and 60% print.
                http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X