X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much should I charge?

I received an email for a freelance project. I am a recent graduate and am not sure how much to charge for the following work:

Double sided rackcard (4x9)
    Business card sized coupon (double sided)
    22 x 28 poster
    Brochure (8.5 x 11, tri-fold to 3.83x8.5)
    8.5 x 11 4-color flyer
    Oversized double-sided postcards (6x9 and/or 6x11)

Welcome aboard hpercevault! We ask all new members to have a read through these important threads with the rules and FAQs and the like so you'll have a better idea how this place works.

Unfortunately, we cannot discuss pricing on the forum, at least not in terms of dollars. Plus, since pricing is so subjective and dependent on so many factors (location, competition, skill) it would be near impossible for someone here to give you accurate advice.

If you can get a hold of the Graphic Artists' Guild Handbook, it will help you decide on a pricing structure that will work for you and your client.

Some of the links in this post may also help you out.

blog/portfolio

Comment

we can't discuss pricing on here. (A moderator will surely come in and point you to the right post to read)

Do you have an hourly price? (remember just starting out you will be learning as you go so can't charge the same as a designer of 5-10 yrs experience)

Do you know how to design said pieces and for sending to a printer? (would stink if they needed it a certain time and you weren't able to produce...or there was a font issue)
      Dribbble Page
      Behance Portfolio
      Linkedin Profile

Comment

Charge hourly or by the project. Hopefully you will have some idea of how long these pieces will take. Hourly could get the client into a bit of trouble if you happen to be slow.
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Hourly could be a source of embarrassment if you happen to be slow too.
          You can't present a client with a 30 hour bill for a 5 hour job...

Yet another reason not to begin freelancing directly out of college. No idea what the market will bear. I'm sure that business plan is in place as well.

Comment

That point deserves extra emphasis. hpercevault, DO you have a written business plan?
            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
            Working...
            X