Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a detailed tutorial on creating handdrawn effect

Hiya,
    I'm looking for a very detailed tutorial on how to make a photo look like it's handdrawn and painted. I haven't seen very detailed tutorials on this other than basic stuff like "test out some filters like sketch or notepaper in Photoshop", that's pretty much common sense, and I know it's much more complicated than that. Not really looking to do much facial editing, I'm more interested in making it look sketched/painted.

This is what I mean by handdrawn effect (images too big so I'm going to link them):

Before:
    http://i.imgur.com/xSswa.jpg
    After:
    http://i.imgur.com/Ar5X7.jpg

Thanks.

I don't believe any filter did that. That is either a digital painting of the original or the original was brought into a program and painted over with the own artists flair and technique.

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Looks like a digital painting to me too. It looks sketched/painted because it is. Having a drawing tablet and various brushes in a programme like Photoshop will help. You'll need excellent observational skills too.

Videos of speed painting will give you a better of idea of the work involved.
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Yep, I'm going to agree with the ladies.
        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Yes it's digital painting however it's based on a photograph as the background layer, with a combination of filters, brush strokes and liquify on top of the photograph I assume. It's not entirely handdrawn, more like putting a piece of semitransparent paper on top of something and sketching the outlines. This one would be a better example since the other one looks too modified:
          Before:
          http://i.imgur.com/IdZYK.jpg
          After:
          http://i.imgur.com/sRSwh.jpg
          Video (it's fast forward version and I can't see her steps, so it's not really a tutorial, but it's basically what I'm looking for):
          http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjExMjA0ODIw.html

I got these from some foreign websites however my Chinese isn't that great so I can't understand some of the vocabulary they use. I was hoping there was an English version of these tutorials. I'm not even sure what this technique is called in English actually.
          Last edited by KLan; 03-01-2012, 04:50 PM.

Comment

This kind of stuff from Asia always creeps me out, slightly.

I think it might be the same thing as the 'uncanny' response people have to 3D human animation that gets 'too close' to real and actually amplifies the artificial differences.

Comment

Like kitty-kat eyes?

OP: It's a painting. The painter may have used a photo as a under-tracing, but the "effects" were painted. It's not a batch of filters and liquifying tricks...

If you have some skill drawing/painting this style of artwork, I am sure you will be able to create what you are looking for.

FYI: In case you do not know – If you plan to sell these images or use them in a promotional communication, using a photograph to trace/manipulate in this manner does not nullify copyright protection. The amount or percentage of change to the original image does not have any impact on the rights of the original photographer to claim copyright infringement (that is if you use their image without their permission).
              Last edited by PanToshi; 03-01-2012, 05:10 PM.
              Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

... double post ....

sorry
                Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Originally posted by KLan View Post
                  I was hoping there was an English version of these tutorials. I'm not even sure what this technique is called in English actually.
                  Around here it's known as "copyright infringement".

Comment

When did I say I'm selling these images? I'm looking for a tutorial on tips on brushing and applying filters and stuff. Why are you guys so jumpy all of a sudden the moment I mentioned it's based on a photograph? This style is called "copyright infringement"? Give me a break. So if I use my own photo and want to learn to manipulate it, I'm violating copyright?? Lol.
                    If you're going to act like an a-hole and think anything Asian violates copyrights (I have no idea why you are worried about the copyrights of the photo of an Asian girl, unless you happen to be that girl in the image), take your racist remarks somewhere else.
                    Last edited by KLan; 03-01-2012, 10:12 PM.

Comment

When did I say I'm selling these images? I'm looking for a tutorial on tips on brushing and applying filters and stuff. Why are you guys so jumpy all of a sudden the moment I mentioned it's based on a photograph? This style is called "copyright infringement"? Give me a break. So if I use my own photo and want to learn to manipulate it, I'm violating copyright?? Lol.
                      If you're going to act like an a-hole and think anything Asian violates copyrights (I have no idea why you are worried about the copyrights of the photo of an Asian girl, unless you happen to be that girl in the image), take your racist remarks somewhere else.
                      Are you talking to me? Are you accusing me of making racist remarks?

Comment

?

So, just to appease Mr. Godwin, did I mention that I was born in the same country once ruled by Hitler?

There, that feels better.

Comment

racist
                          Good one.

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                            Yep, I'm going to agree with the ladies.
                            Hand over your man card and leave the premise at once.

You are to make no eye contact with anyone on your way out and you are barred from this establishment for life.

Good day to you!

Comment

Chill out and lose the attitude. You obviously missed this:

Originally posted by PanToshi View Post
                              The amount or percentage of change to the original image does not have any impact on the rights of the original photographer to claim copyright infringement (that is if you use their image without their permission).
                              We get plenty of n00bs here that think that anything they copy down from the internet is fair game as long as they're "changing it by [insert percentage here]."

You're railing against a great amount of experience here, members who are just trying to help you do things the right way. There's no racism in this thread, I can guarantee that from what I know of the posting members. So take what advice you want and leave the rest, but attacking other members will not be tolerated on this forum.
                              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X