Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a detailed tutorial on creating handdrawn effect

Hiya,
    I'm looking for a very detailed tutorial on how to make a photo look like it's handdrawn and painted. I haven't seen very detailed tutorials on this other than basic stuff like "test out some filters like sketch or notepaper in Photoshop", that's pretty much common sense, and I know it's much more complicated than that. Not really looking to do much facial editing, I'm more interested in making it look sketched/painted.

This is what I mean by handdrawn effect (images too big so I'm going to link them):

Before:
    http://i.imgur.com/xSswa.jpg
    After:
    http://i.imgur.com/Ar5X7.jpg

Thanks.

• droid
    replied
    the blur brush in photoshop might be able to achieve a "painted" effect.

Leave a comment:

• Zora336
    replied
    This may be able to help you a bit..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGVy1xGJbQM

Leave a comment:

• Buda
    replied
    Originally posted by MadIzzy View Post
    I stumbled upon the link below when looking for ways to turn a photo into line art for use in product manuals. It uses Adobe Illustrator and might be a bit advanced, but it should point you in the right direction. Do a google search for turning photos into vector art and you should find plenty of results for both Illustrator and Photoshop. Good luck.

http://vector.tutsplus.com/tutorials...ference-photo/
    I don't think the OP was looking for a vector solution as the sample posted look very much like Photoshop brushed and painted pieces. But if anyone is looking to get started in Illustrator and in vector portraits, that tutorial is a handy guide.

Leave a comment:

• MadIzzy
    replied
    I stumbled upon the link below when looking for ways to turn a photo into line art for use in product manuals. It uses Adobe Illustrator and might be a bit advanced, but it should point you in the right direction. Do a google search for turning photos into vector art and you should find plenty of results for both Illustrator and Photoshop. Good luck.

http://vector.tutsplus.com/tutorials...ference-photo/

Leave a comment:

• Obsidian86
    replied
    Originally posted by garricks View Post

We get plenty of n00bs here that think that anything they copy down from the internet is fair game as long as they're "changing it by [insert percentage here]."
    I understand where they get this though, and I thought the same thing till college. High school art teachers tell us this.

Leave a comment:

• PrintDriver
    replied
    Just another newb who wants an Easy Button answer and doesn't particularly care about the particulars. Granted they did say that they were only tracing to learn but because the OP is new, it stands to reason they get the standard copyright lecture.

Klan, we take the profession seriously here. The stuff on copyright was really a standard bit of info we give all newbs and dabblers, as well as students of design who drop in once in a while.

Leave a comment:

• garricks
    replied
    Originally posted by KLan View Post
    When did I say I'm selling these images? I'm looking for a tutorial on tips on brushing and applying filters and stuff. Why are you guys so jumpy all of a sudden the moment I mentioned it's based on a photograph? This style is called "copyright infringement"? Give me a break. So if I use my own photo and want to learn to manipulate it, I'm violating copyright?? Lol.
    If you're going to act like an a-hole and think anything Asian violates copyrights (I have no idea why you are worried about the copyrights of the photo of an Asian girl, unless you happen to be that girl in the image), take your racist remarks somewhere else.
    Chill out and lose the attitude. You obviously missed this:

Originally posted by PanToshi View Post
    The amount or percentage of change to the original image does not have any impact on the rights of the original photographer to claim copyright infringement (that is if you use their image without their permission).
    We get plenty of n00bs here that think that anything they copy down from the internet is fair game as long as they're "changing it by [insert percentage here]."

You're railing against a great amount of experience here, members who are just trying to help you do things the right way. There's no racism in this thread, I can guarantee that from what I know of the posting members. So take what advice you want and leave the rest, but attacking other members will not be tolerated on this forum.

Leave a comment:

• jld
    replied
    Originally posted by garricks View Post
    Yep, I'm going to agree with the ladies.
    Hand over your man card and leave the premise at once.

You are to make no eye contact with anyone on your way out and you are barred from this establishment for life.

Good day to you!

Leave a comment:

• The Lumberjack
    replied
    racist
    Good one.

Leave a comment:

• Bob
    replied
    ?

So, just to appease Mr. Godwin, did I mention that I was born in the same country once ruled by Hitler?

There, that feels better.

Leave a comment:

• PanToshi
    replied
    When did I say I'm selling these images? I'm looking for a tutorial on tips on brushing and applying filters and stuff. Why are you guys so jumpy all of a sudden the moment I mentioned it's based on a photograph? This style is called "copyright infringement"? Give me a break. So if I use my own photo and want to learn to manipulate it, I'm violating copyright?? Lol.
    If you're going to act like an a-hole and think anything Asian violates copyrights (I have no idea why you are worried about the copyrights of the photo of an Asian girl, unless you happen to be that girl in the image), take your racist remarks somewhere else.
    Are you talking to me? Are you accusing me of making racist remarks?

Leave a comment:

• KLan
    replied
    Last edited by KLan; 03-01-2012, 06:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• VDM
    replied
    I was hoping there was an English version of these tutorials. I'm not even sure what this technique is called in English actually.
    Around here it's known as "copyright infringement".

Leave a comment:

• PanToshi
    replied
    ... double post ....

sorry

Leave a comment:

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
Working...
X