This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Search Resources

Seeing as I'm hoping to go through this myself, and I'm sure I'm not the only one around here with hopes and dreams of better employment, I thought I'd start this thread as a resource for those hunting down that perfect job. My goal with this thread is to provide a place to gather tips/links to articles regarding things like job hunting, portfolios, resumes, interview skills and salary negotiation.

I think my weakest bit will be the interview process and salary negotiation. I'm confident in my design skills, but not so much in my verbal communications skills when put on the spot. I'm deathly afraid of being asked a question for which I can't deliver a concise, relevant answer.

So I'll start off with this article I found on Forbes' site with some interview tips, including ten of the toughest interview questions, and how to go about answering them.

Anything to share?

blog/portfolio

ohhh thank you thank you thank you!!
    Dribbble Page
    Behance Portfolio
    Linkedin Profile

Comment

lol... I had a feeling you might appreciate this.

I went ahead and made it a sticky thread so we both (and others of course!) can easily find and refer back to it.

blog/portfolio

Comment

http://www.indeed.com/

Searches all the various jobs listing sites from one spot. Has a nice advanced search so you can nail down the details. It also save all your searches and gives instant new results since your last search

Comment

Originally posted by Kool View Post

Searches all the various jobs listing sites from one spot. Has a nice advanced search so you can nail down the details. It also save all your searches and gives instant new results since your last search
          +1 for Indeed.
          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

^Have their app on my phone. Lots of listings!

blog/portfolio

Comment

I've been in some grueling interviews before. 6+ panel members. I always seem to interview really well which I am thankful for.

Breaking it down to what I consider the most important aspects of a successful interview would be:

1. Sit up straight, clasp (not clutch!) hands and sit them on the table in front of you, not at your side or on your lap.

2. Maintain eye contact (not to the point where you stare into their soul, it's OK to occasionally look away and blink!) and when answering questions, address everyone on the panel - not just the person who asked the question.

3. Your interviewers are human. Try and talk to them, not at them.

4. Probably the most over looked and simple thing you can do - tell them you actually want the job. Do a decent job at showing them you're passionate (without crying and turning into a pile of jelly :P). I can't overstate how effective it can be to simply say "I want this position. Don't be scared to be real, they're wanting to see someone that can function as a confident human.

5. Follow up with an email thanking your interviewers for their time.

6. If you can, hand in physical copies of your portfolio and resume. Let the people you know exist, that you're not just a name on a piece of paper.

A bit of preparation will never hurt, but I don't like to over do it because it can strangle your answers and pigeon hole how you respond if the question you've prepared for are delivered differently. Don't stick to the script when a situation calls for a different approach.

Commonly questions asked at an interview: (relative to the design industry).

Why do you want this job?
              What can you bring to the position?
              What inspires you?
              What do you think you're worth (salary, wage)?
              How do you deal with difficult clients?
              How do you deal with deadlines/stress/walls?
              What is a weakness you think you have?
              What are your strengths?

And one that has come up before, and is only usually asked by clever interviewers:

"Tell us something about yourself that your friends may not know." They're not asking that you tell them about your third nipple, instead they want to know if you have any work related interests or hobbies that the people around you would not think you'd be interested in, something outside of your perceived character.
              Last edited by jld; 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Indeed is awesome!

Originally posted by Kool View Post

Indeed is awesome! I use it in JobTabs which allows me to save jobs from the Indeed and other web sites. I can't even remember applying to some of the jobs I hear back from. JobTabs is a really good program for creative types because I can't stay organized. Either I need someone to do it for me or a computer program to do it for me. I also hate writing resumes. If I can just fill out little boxes to create a resume that is more my style.

Bauhaus 2.0

Comment

Hi Bauhaus2 and welcome to GDF!

We ask that all new members take a few minutes to read through important threads here and here. These will explain our rules, answer frequently asked questions and explain some of the long running jokes you'll run into. Enjoy your stay.
                  Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Thx

Originally posted by PanToshi View Post
                    Hi Bauhaus2 and welcome to GDF!
                    Thank you PanToshi!

Bauhaus 2.0

Comment

Here are a couple places that do custom portfolio covers:

http://www.pinazangaro.com
                      http://kdbooks.com (Lots of standard color options)
                      http://kloportfolios.com/ (Beautiful but EXPENSIVE)

I ended up buying through http://www.portfolios-and-art-cases.com/. The one I ordered was Pina Zangaro's Vista model in Mist (translucent) with a logo screen printed on the front. Cost less than going through the PZ site directly (plus for some reason I couldn't find the option to add the screen printing on their site).

blog/portfolio

Comment

A couple more portfolio-related articles.

http://desizntech.info/2011/08/the-b...ign-portfolio/
                        http://nubbytwiglet.com/2009/07/27/7...ign-portfolio/

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post

I think my weakest bit will be the interview process and salary negotiation. I'm confident in my design skills, but not so much in my verbal communications skills when put on the spot. I'm deathly afraid of being asked a question for which I can't deliver a concise, relevant answer.
                          Nothing really to share as far as tools to finding a new job, just something I've noticed from my own personal experience.

We've been interviewing people for a Graphic design position where I work. Every one of the men interviewed, were able to give an instant response when it came to salary expectations, and they were always higher than what the women eventually said. Even if they had less experience, no portfolio, or no degree. When I was faced with that question, I went in with no number in mind, and threw out one that I never thought I'd get only having 4 years of actual design experience at the time.

We already have a salary decided on what we're going to pay the new person no matter what sex they are, but It's strange that this is how things are.
                          "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

I've come up with an idea of what I *should* be making. It'll just be a matter of finding the job openings in that salary range and presenting myself as being worth that amount.

Another article I ran across about interview tips:
                            http://addicted2success.com/success-...job-interview/

blog/portfolio

Comment

Great thread, Virgo, thanks so much

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X