X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best books about sketching?

Specifically books about creating accurate yet fast sketches for design -- intended for people with little or no drawing skills.

try "Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain" - that is a good one!
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

'Drawing' would be an excellent book to use to learn to draw, you sound like you need a book like the layout index...that is if your trying to sketch out layouts
      Tapp-d
      "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

Also try the Graphic Design Cookbook. It's got hundreds of page layout samples which is good for sparking ideas. As for learning to sketch, the "Drawing" is a great book, but constant practice is the key. You will only learn to draw by drawing. Do not look at an apple and draw a circular shape with a stem and a leaf, but actually try to draw the real shape of the thing, and observe everything around you to see how light plays on different surfaces, and what lines are important to visually describe a thing. You don't have to draw every brick to show people a brick wall, and you don't have to draw every feather to show people a bird. Just carry a small sketchpad wherever you go, and draw all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fraker
          Also try the Graphic Design Cookbook. It's got hundreds of page layout samples which is good for sparking ideas. As for learning to sketch, the "Drawing" is a great book, but constant practice is the key. You will only learn to draw by drawing. Do not look at an apple and draw a circular shape with a stem and a leaf, but actually try to draw the real shape of the thing, and observe everything around you to see how light plays on different surfaces, and what lines are important to visually describe a thing. You don't have to draw every brick to show people a brick wall, and you don't have to draw every feather to show people a bird. Just carry a small sketchpad wherever you go, and draw all the time.

Who is the author of "Drawing"? Does the title have a subtitle? Tried to search on Amazon but it didn't find an exact match.

Comment

Sorry, I was referring to Betty Edwards book: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. It teaches you to draw what you see, not in symbols (ie: a tree would be a tree, not a cotton ball glued to a popcicle stick like you would draw in kindergarten).

Seriously, get yourself an Ebony pencil and a portable hardcover sketchbook, and draw every day. You'll get the hang of it that way. The Betty Edwards book teaches you how to shift to using your right brain when you draw, so you can draw properly. Great stuff!

Comment

Oh "Drawing" is my shorthand for Drawing with the right side of the brain
              I'm just to lazzy to write it all out
              Tapp-d
              "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
              Working...
              X