No announcement yet.

Having trouble understanding a client.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble understanding a client.

I just got done working on a logo and was referred by a family friend to an out sourced artist who needs to build a portfolio for musuems.

Im only 18 and i was just having troubles understanding what he wants and I already asked him what does he exactly want. If anybody could help me out a I can remain professional that would greatly help.
    Here is the email.
    "Hunter,

I have a collection of 19x19 carbon prints of which
    i will submit to museums and galleries and included will be
    off-set press title page and colophon, index and statement.

I am looking for two things from you:

1. input on a synergistic font that integrates with the style and intent of the work.
    2. layout: of each of the tree pages that are press ready.

I am printing on Fabriano Artistico 140# water color paper that is also 19x19
    off-set press. "
    Thank you.

Hi Hunter and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Unfortunately but frankly, Hunter, you don't understand the client's request because you're in over your head. The artist appears to be under the impression that he/she is communicating with a competent, experienced professional who won't need a simplified version of the request. Normally, when a client communication requires additional clarification, the designer simply makes return contact and asks for it. Considering it could look like you've come here to seek free professional advice so that you can carry on with designer-client dialog without exposing your lack of experience, you may or may not get help here. Good luck.
      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

I understand that you are only 18, but you need to tell this guy you aren't a real designer yet and ask him if he wants to continue the project with you. Be up front about it.

All of those words actually mean something and what they mean is very specific.
        Even I would have to call around to see what kind of dot gain that paper has before starting, especially if the colophon has any kind of halftone to it.

Comment

I really appreciate the wise words to give me a sense of a reality check. Im really trying to get into school this upcoming semester to pursue my dreams in being a graphic designer. If you guys have any advice on what school and how to go about choosing the right school then the words would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Definitely over your head. I would let him know, but also tell him to keep you in mind for future, smaller projects.

It's a pretty easy request, the important parts were 1 and 2. The part where he mentions the paper he is using isn't really pertinent, other than the size. "Offset" is just the printing method that is used.

Comment

Have to disagree. Knowing the paper IS important. Especially where this is a heavy grade hot-pressed watercolor paper.
              Just a quick search tells me the stuff has a unique texture, is very absorbent, and has a watermark (just not where the watermark is generally located.)
              In order to create a ''production ready'' file one might need to speak to a printer that can actually print on this stuff.

Comment

• B
                B commented
                Editing a comment
                It's odd that he's using offset for this. I can't imagine the print run being large enough to justify the expense.

• PrintDriver
                PrintDriver commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah that came to mind as well.
                Single color/black?
                Maybe he knows someone with a press?
                I can't see this printing digital very well. I've printed on some watercolor artist papers before. If it has any kind of tooth, laser prints don't work well cuz it just sticks to the tops of the tooth. Inkjet, depends on the absorbency. If the stuff is hot pressed, that would help, or could open up a whole other can of worms where the inks just puddle. <shudder>

• B
                B commented
                Editing a comment
                Letterpress could work and be sort of cool looking, but would still cost more than just a pocketful of change.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X