Sheet Music Copy Right

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheet Music Copy Right

So I ave an internship as a graphic designer at my college, and I make a lot of posters for stuff on campus.

One of my most recent assignments is for a concert, for some music I've never heard before. The music is a 7 piece...thing...called "Requiem" by Gabriel Faure. I want to use some of the music from each part and combine it in a stain glass type of design. But my main question is:

What are the rules/laws for using sheet music in a poster?
    I'm a sophomore in college, 19, and I'd be nowhere without my art

Gabriel Faure died 92 years ago, so he can no longer hold copyright on the music (if sheet music follows other copyright laws). So you would have to find out if anyone owns the rights to that requiem and if they allow use of the sheet music. I googled sheet music copyright law and got a bunch of results. You might try that.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

For what it's worth:
      http://imslp.org/wiki/Requiem,_Op.48...C3%A9,_Gabriel)

Comment

Hmmm.... that link isn't working.
        Use this search string: Requiem, Op.48 (Fauré, Gabriel) - IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

Anyway, you really can't apply US copyright law to a piece written in France.
        Here is a Cornell University cheat sheet on copyright basics in chart form. Very helpful info.
        Opens a PDF.
        http://copyright.cornell.edu/resourc...yrightterm.pdf

Last edited by PrintDriver; 01-25-2017, 08:05 PM.

Comment

THANK YOU!!!
          I'm a sophomore in college, 19, and I'd be nowhere without my art

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Clinton78
            One off off-set lithographic Print?
            Clinton78
            Hi guys,

I have a situation where I need to commercially print illustrations that are coloured entirely in black. It's basically realistic aircraft illustrations and the aircraft are painted...
            Today, 11:11 AM
          • Craig B
            Reply to Style of Font
            Craig B
            To expand a little on what B said. Those monograms were hand created. They weren't just a font, and there's no software that will automatically squeeze them into a shape like that....
            Today, 11:00 AM
          • Craig B
            Reply to Vector art blurry when posted to social media!
            Craig B
            Not sure where you got those sizes. I would try this always up to date google doc with various social media pixel sizes.
            Today, 10:58 AM
          • PrintDriver
            Reply to What makes this ad. design awesome?
            PrintDriver
            As B noted in his 2nd post,

So without doing the research involved in creating an ''awesome'' ad campaign based on your needs, in your particular location, and one that works with your particular...
            Today, 10:30 AM
          • PrintDriver
            Reply to Portfolio usage of work
            PrintDriver
            The designer may own the rights to the design, but they may not own the copyright on any photos or copywriting used in the design or any trademarked logos. In cases where there is client supplied content,...
            Today, 10:22 AM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X