Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q+A Help

Hi all

I'm creating a Zine for a college brief for my Visual Communication HND and I'm also a freelance graphic designer in my spare time. I'm interested in getting some views from fellow graphic designers, mainly those currently out in the field but answers from students are just as welcome. My two questions are:

1) What was your perception or view of the life of a graphic designer before you got involved in the industry? I guess I'm asking what did you imagine it would be like doing graphic design as a career.

2) What is your perception or view now? If it actually different from what you envisaged.

Thanks for reading.

Kind regards

Mike

Hi Mike and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeoutro View Post
      1) What was your perception or view of the life of a graphic designer before you got involved in the industry? I guess I'm asking what did you imagine it would be like doing graphic design as a career.
      My perception was a field where I could be as creative as I wanted to be and enjoy my job every day.

2) What is your perception or view now? If it actually different from what you envisaged.
      An overpriced education for an under-paid profession, on its way to becoming a secondary skill, with way too much competition, and way too low expectations coming from most clients and consumers

Comment

I imagined making a shit-tonne of money.

If you're going to make a shit-tonne of money, you have to accomplish that by the time you hit 40.

Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Me, I wanted to study art, but was well aware that in my city, is highly unlikely to make a decent living out of art. So I thought graphic design was the closest thing without turning into an struggling, barely making it, artist.

I expected to be a part of a agency, team playing, practically living there. Creating awesome campaigns.

My perception now, is that I AM a struggling, barely making it, designer. Not nearly as creatively rewarding (so I end up, writing, and drawing and singing) as, well I actually wanted to be a Mangaka, so as being a mangaka.

Now I really do not recommend graphic design as a career, but rather a secondary or complementary skillset.

To make it as a pure graphic designer, you have to either be very talented or very well conected.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Thug-D
            Comment on What should I do? Problem figuring out what would be more economical to spend on?
            Thug-D
            I'm 17. I do not think my passion is going to change because to be honest since the time I was a kid I found computer graphics pretty dope. It's just that last year I got involved in it. At first I thought...
            Today, 05:58 PM
          • mirab
            visually pleasing web design
            mirab
            Hello Every buddy
            What is the best way to learn visually pleasing web design?

Thanks!
            Today, 05:36 PM
          • Glitchin
            Reply to Logo Feedback
            Glitchin
            These all seem quite generic looking to me, but a lot of people do want these generic looking logos. For me the top one is the best of the lot.

I would adjust the tracking to increase space...
            Today, 03:37 PM
          • Glitchin
            Comment on Critique Please?
            Glitchin
            Thanks Jessa!
            Today, 03:15 PM
          • Glitchin
            Reply to Critique Please?
            Glitchin
            Hey PD,

A political lobbying group. I don't expect them to actually use megaphones and be out on the street chanting. The megaphone is just meant to be symbolic of making noise, and raising...
            Today, 03:14 PM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X