Feeling stressed and miserable, not in life but Graphic design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling stressed and miserable, not in life but Graphic design

First of all please forgive me about my grammar and the whole post might seem childish to you, simply because I'm a 20 years old kid with not much social expeirence and I'm not a native English speaker.

Will like to introduce myself first, I'm a graphic design (diploma) student, my course is a first-year program, a combination of every little bit of the digital industry, most of all heavy focused on graphic design since it's like the fundamental of nearly everything.

Ok, let's get into the topic, it's not about my grade or I'm not doing well at class, I'm doing pretty good tbh, getting A or B on most projects, the feeling comes from my personal works. I simply feel I'm bad, really bad, my works, they are terrible, feeling shame to show anyone. I love browsing through Behance, Dribble and this other community where people upload their awesome works, I really want to create something like that. But, whenever I find a time, which I got plenty time, trying to generate an idea or simply just create something, I can't. Sometimes I force myself to come up with something, ends up totally trash. This feeling wasn't with me when I first started(around 10 months ago), I was really passionate, whenever I get a fictional brief I can start generating so many ideas, writing a whole page of brainstormed words, come up with something really special. But, I can't anymore, and I know the reason, simply because I dug a pitfall and I pushed myself inside. Please, I need help, if you ever had the same experience as I did, I really need your advice, I'm losing myself, and I need a hand.

Hi Shien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.

I moved your thread to the student forum.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Do more research before pencils hit the paper, you can't expect to effectively communicate something you don't know anything about. The amount of research put in shows in all work
      Design is not decoration.

Comment

You are probably more analytical than some of your classmates. You might have more difficulty being creative if you don't see a real problem to solve. Don't feel bad. Those analytical skills can be an advantage if you play your cards right. Design is about problem-solving. Just know that you will need more information to go on before you are inspired to come up with a solution. You're biggest challenge will be finding a problem worth solving. Ditto KM's advice on doing more research.

In the real world, it's not as difficult to find problems worth solving as it is in school. You can go directly to the real client and get more information about what the client's problems are and what they expect in a solution. In a school environment, you will probably have to assume more because there's no real client there to answer questions. One way to fill this void of inspiration is to pretend that you are the client. Ask your self what problems you might have if you owned the business that you are designing for.

The school I went to sometimes would use real clients in my senior year; but the students didn't have as much access to those clients as they would have had the clients hired them directly. It was more of a contest than a direct hire situation. The school's clients didn't want to have to answer the same repeat questions from dozens of students. So we would see them once for the initial brief, and then a 2nd an final time when they would select the best work out of dozens of entries. If you're school does this, take really good notes when the clients speak.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• seamas
          Reply to Sort of a Constructivism Inspired Poster
          seamas
          I agree with HotButton on just about everything here --especially the extra question parks.
          Leave extra punctuation to Pam in accounting. You are a Graphic Designer--use a graphic designer solution....
          Today, 02:51 PM
        • KitchWitch
          Reply to Newbie101 here
          KitchWitch
          Hi Newbie101 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
          Today, 02:44 PM
        • B
          Reply to What specifications of PC laptop should I buy for design jobs?
          B
          What PrintDriver said, is accurate for pro-level work. However, since you're on a budget, you can get by with less.

Editing video with 16GB of RAM is doable without too much pain, unless...
          Today, 02:15 PM
        • Newbie101
          Newbie101 here
          Newbie101
          Hey, I'm from the middle east, in my twenties, just found my passion for design, and I'm sure I can rock this.
          I know nothing much yet, but I hope I would learn many from here
          Today, 01:43 PM
        • KitchWitch
          Reply to Having trouble with printers and am very lost
          KitchWitch
          Hi Felinafullstop and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
          Today, 01:03 PM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X