Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do you want to pursue graphic design?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you want to pursue graphic design?

Hello. I'm a graphic design student in college and I'm applying for a BFA program at my school. To be considered, I have to be interviewed by the professors, primarily on the topic of why I want to be in the program. The thing is, even though it is true, I'm pretty sure I can't go with the response of "graphic design is my passion", seeing as every person who walks into their office will repeat the same mantra.
    I'm guessing they want a logical and career-oriented response on why the program would be essential for me and something that will make me stick out as a candidate.

My question is, if you were asked if elaborate on why you wish to continue your education in graphic design, what would you say?

The better question to be asking is, where do you see yourself in 10 years. If you can answer that question, that's all you need, you tell them that your career goal is ''this'' and add how their program will help get you there. As with all job interviews, return the conversation to the client's court in some way.

If, like most college-aged people, you have very little idea where you want to be in your career in 10 years, take the time now to research that part of the question.

Asking other people why they want to continue in the design field won't be your answer.

Quite honestly, I wish I'd stayed with my first career (field ecology and plant systematics), stayed focused on getting a cushy job counting emerald ash borers for the State Wildlife commission, and I'd be retiring this year with a decent pension. Hindsight is 20/20.

Comment

Hi Espitz and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

If you can do some research and find out what's unique about this particular program and school compared to every other program and school, that would make your answer more unique. It would also show that you really know how to do your homework.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• seedpress
          ICC Profile that Won't Soft Proof?
          seedpress
          Recently I contacted a printer manufacturer to request ICC profiles for their printers.

Here's what they wrote:
          Our graphic workflow uses ICC profiles when converting and preparing...
          Yesterday, 08:47 PM
        • Jeohs1111
          Logo Design for Sports Conpany
          Jeohs1111
          I am searching for a web designer to create a logo for a Combine and Showcase for high school athletics.
          The website will also feature athletic training and youth camps.
          The name of the organization...
          Yesterday, 07:30 PM
        • Protagonist
          Reply to two posters
          Protagonist
          The color balance is off on the two right side characters in the Hannibal poster. It looks like you tried darkening the images with a curves adjustment which introduced a lot of noise and turned them...
          Yesterday, 01:28 PM
        • B
          Reply to CMYK - black and white?
          B
          Four-color process will give you a richer-looking print than the flat and sometimes lifeless look of a B&W halftone. As pointed out, though, even the slightest variation in ink densities will noticeably...
          Yesterday, 10:53 AM
        • hectorclark
          Reply to two posters
          hectorclark
          Hey, It's really creative works. Best wishes for you. Carry on....
          04-29-2017, 01:05 PM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X