Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking Feedback on a photo media project.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Feedback on a photo media project.

Looking for feedback on my photo media project final concept!

The Brief
    A flagship tourism company wants to employ a photographer to create an image that is an iconic representation of Sydney. The objective is to find a creative way to incorporate the word ‘Sydney’ into this image.

The Target Audience

The image must appeal to tourists and therefore, it must demonstrate the attractiveness of the city.

My Final Design
    As you can see, I used a technique called light painting to write the word SYDNEY in the shot itself. I used my own mobile phone torch to achieve the desired effect. I considered using practical effects to be more eye catching in a photo media project than digital effects in this instance and thought it would also be more provoking from a tourists perspective.

The development process and feedback received allowed me to not only short list the locations to choose from but also conceptualise the most appropriate approach (eg, digitally add as a reflection on water, use light painting techniques etc). This process also allowed me to identify which shots offer could be considered relatable to people who have never been to Sydney.

In post processing the only manipulation required was to enhance the colour, exposure and composition of the final image

72dpi (safe for web)

RGB colour and in Jpeg
    50kb or below in size
    Web only, not for print

IMHO it's a bit safe and a bit eerie. I feel that it's safe because there isn't really anything that is overly interesting or iconic about it; sure the opera house is an iconic landmark but it's really just an image with the place name written on it. It feels eerie because it's a city and the image is completely devoid of people.

The target market of "tourists" is too broad, as this is a school project, I would consider narrowing that focus down on my own if the brief is that relaxed. What kind of people typically choose Sydney as a destination? What age range? How much money do they make? What do they like to do? etc.

If your set on using the opera house as the main subject, I would consider more interesting angles; maybe it's the shadow of it could be identifiable and interesting. Otherwise I would focus on less cliche things that speak to the experience that is Sydney, whether that's food, activities or other unique places; something that provides a glimpse of what it's like to be there and makes the target market want to go there. Then I would worry about incorporating "Sydney".
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

In graphic design, it's the end product that counts, not how you went about creating it.

It's sort of interesting that you wrote the word Sydney with your phone, but it's irrelevant to the end piece (unless your instructor is more concerned with pointless creativity than viable solutions to realistic design problems).

The finished image comes across as words scrawled over and defacing a nice photograph. If not for the risk of being arrested, you might as well have spray painted the words Sydney on the bridge and shot a photo of it. This isn't really something that would appeal to tourists or the tourism company.

Comment

Hi PSchol and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

This may be better received in school than it is here; it depends on what your instructor sees as the objectives of the exercise, and we can't really know that. As for real world potential, B's assessment above is pretty much spot-on. The detailed description of methods leads me to suspect this may be an example of a very common error among designers who have yet to become "seasoned." It can happen easily even after you've gained experience, so you must learn to guard against it.

The error is allowing yourself to become infatuated with your one idea. Especially when you're faced with a difficult or cryptic design challenge, and the ideas don't flow, coming up with one thing that seems viable can feel like it's your only chance to succeed. You slip into an obsessive pursuit of forcing that one idea to work, to the point that the potential for other ideas, and eventually your ability to see the faults in your one idea, go by the wayside. You become convinced that since it's the only idea, it must be the best idea, and your overfed subjectivity snowballs into a false sense of dopamine-producing "triumph." I will say there could be times when you get away with allowing this to happen, but to actually practice graphic design as a career, you must implement personal process that prevents it. That's why you'll find us all preaching the virtues of sketching as an integral part of the initial brainstorm. Sketching out many ideas—that is, settling for no less than a-dozen-to-a-thousand, no matter how silly—as a first step, goes a long way toward preventing the trap I described above. One of the moderators here has a sig line that puts it very astutely:
          "Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones."
          I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Process doesn't matter.
            The end result does.

No one cares about all the steps it takes me to produce a beautiful, museum quality exhibit panel for an educational exhibit.
            They only care that the end result is perfect.
            The same applies to the design processes that went into creating the file for that beautiful panel. You might have spent 10 days on your belly in a field full of ticks photographing insects for the photos in the panel. No one cares.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• StudioMonkey
              Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
              StudioMonkey
              The step and repeat in Illustrator can do patterns and vary the size and even the rotation, to set parameters or at random. This will give you a vector file but Paintshop Pro and PhotoShop are not vector...
              Today, 06:23 AM
            • HotButton
              Comment on Flyer Crtitique
              HotButton
              It's just what I call it when people use an expression that actually says or means the opposite of what is intended; ''could care less'' would be another prime example.
              Yesterday, 11:44 PM
            • B
              Reply to Flyer Crtitique
              B
              That makes sense, I guess. Off is the inverse of on, which makes based off the inverse of based on. Got it. ...
              Yesterday, 08:50 PM
            • B
              Reply to Flyer Crtitique
              B
              Okay, I know what a colloquialism is, but what is an inverse colloquialism?

Probrien, in addition to HotButton's comments, which I agree with, the ad is a bit confusing. Maybe it's lacking...
              Yesterday, 08:48 PM
            • PrintDriver
              Reply to Flyer Crtitique
              PrintDriver
              ''Based off'' is inverse of ''based on.'' ''Based on'' is a colloquialism.
              I think.
              I have not had enough to drink to play this game.

o O
              Yesterday, 08:27 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X