Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback needed for graphic design assignment

Hi all.
    I am seeking feedback to support my assignment. I have chosen to create a logo for a retro arcade game company that allows you to stream media online through gaming platforms such as Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.
    The company brand is called JOYSTICK!
    The logo design symbolized elements of retro arcade games that would instantly be familiar gamers of that period but also appeal to a younger audience.

I have chosen an iconic secondary character of the game ‘Pacman’ to symbolize not only a genre and period but also represents 100s of games within the company’s catalogue, similarly to Sonic the Hedgehog representing Sega and Mario representing Nintendo.

By using the word ‘Joystick’ the logo represents the genre in a recognizable form and is immediately segmented from modern genres of gaming.
    I would love to hear your feedback

PSchol, it looks like you've placed your image on your college account's web server that needs a login for access. For the rest of us to see it, you'll need to place it on a publicly accessible server.

Comment

My apologies.

I've linked it now. Thanks.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Retro game.png
Views:	3
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	21149
      Attached Files

Comment

If this were a professional assignment, instead of school, using the Pac-Man icon could easily be construed as a trademark violation. You wouldn't want to put any client in the position of risking legal problems.

One thing to consider with logos is how they will be used in various instances. Logos really need to be quite flexible in that regard. For example, they might be used on everything from the barrels of ballpoint pens to giant banners hung from the sides of buildings. They might be run in one color on a B&W laser printer or be animated as part of a video intro. Is your logo flexible enough to do all those things?

Here's how it might look at the size typical of a business card, which is always a concern with a logo.

At this size, all the small outlines and reflections are blurring into obscurity. There's nothing wrong with designing a more elaborate and detailed version of a logo for those occasions that call for it, but it's typically not the place to start. In a real-world situation, there really would need to be a more basic version of the logo that would work well within the practical limitations that logo owners always encounter.

I realize this is a school assignment and, depending on your instructor, these concerns might or might not matter. Soon, however, you'll be in a professional environment where they most definitely will matter.

Comment

4 colors plus black at two tints = 5 spot color plates.
          But you also throw in some transparency in the purple of the eyes, which technically doesn't work so well when using spot colors and would introduce more plates and require more callouts when flattened. Or if printed digitally, you get what you get where that overlap happens. This is bad form.

This is pretty much a ''print-only'' logo and even on the slowest speed highest quality, it would have to be printed fairly large in order not to have all those tiny line effects fill in due to dot gain. And my machines have very small dot gains to begin with. If you asked me to make this in die cut vinyl, it would cost you 3x what a standard 2 or 3 color logo would cost, and I'd have to print parts of it anyway (the transparency parts) thereby shortening the life of the sign to the half life of the inks used. If the logo doesn't work in black and white, then it couldn't be done in a number of other processes either.

Your trademarked icon, as B says, would be a big issue in the real world. You can't make the argument that it ''represents the games offered.'' It is still a trademarked icon and would require some serious legal licensing to use it as part of a logo. I seriously doubt that a. they would allow it and b. the client could afford the fees for such a license.

The name of the company is dwarfed by the icon, making it insignificant.

Your marketing concept is sound, but think about simplifying. In a logo, more is not better.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X