Need help from a professional designer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help from a professional designer

I don't personally know any designers to ask for help for an assignment I have. I need to ask questions to a professional about graphic design and have them view my portfolio for feedback. If someone could please answer these questions and provide your name and email for the assignment. I would really appreciate any feedback I could get and this is only for help, not advertisement. I am still learning and I have a long way to go.

The questions:
    Why did you decide a career in graphic design?
    How many projects do you touch on an average week?
    What qualities and skills should a good graphic designer have?
    Describe your creative process. What are the major steps?
    Do you have a particular website, book or movie you turn to for inspiration?
    Let’s say someone tells you to design something without any context. What do you do?
    Who do you turn to for advice when stuck on a design?
    What do you find to be the most challenging part of being of graphic designer?

Would you rather see a website or a printed portfolio (or both)?
    What would be the best type of pieces to include in a portfolio?

From viewing my portfolio, which areas of design could I use improvement most?
    What things did you like and dislike about my portfolio?

What tips would you give an entry level designer like myself?

The portfolio:
    https://jjadecassidy.myportfolio.com/

Why did you decide a career in graphic design?
    Because Pixar killed any hope of being a scenic artist.
    How many projects do you touch on an average week?

That's a weird question. I have projects on the board dating back to 2014. They are still in development. I touch those maybe once a month. Other jobs are shorter term and I would touch them maybe 5 or 6 times a week each. Other jobs are rush and they only get touched once or twice in their entire life span. Right now I have about 30 jobs on the board in various stages of done. Graphics jobs aren't just single touch items. You don't always get to finish one job before you are starting your next.
    What qualities and skills should a good graphic designer have?

A GD should be able to ''see'' artistically. They should understand proportion and scale. They should be self-starters, not procrastinators. Get it done now as you never know what will walk in the door tomorrow. They should be aware of the timeline of their projects. Don't save the print part for the day before it's due. They should be aware that their job is not about their art. It is about creating what is necessary to sell the clients' message, no matter what it may be.
    Describe your creative process. What are the major steps?

This depends on the project. The steps used for a corporate client's office display aren't particularly the same as the steps used for a corporate client's product release event. Most start with identifying the particular message the client wants to convey, who they want to convey it to, and how many media avenues they want to use to do it.
    Do you have a particular website, book or movie you turn to for inspiration?

No. I let the research lead me wherever it goes. I don't recommend locking into any particular style displayed on any website, book or movie (movie?)
    Let’s say someone tells you to design something without any context. What do you do?
    Ask questions. A lot of questions. Better if asked all at once.
    Who do you turn to for advice when stuck on a design?
    Collegues at work. While a lot of people come here and use the crit pit, in the real world that can be a definite firing offense. A client's project is usually not meant to be broadcast until it is ready for release. I'd say about 1/3 of what I work on in any given month is under Non-Disclosure Agreement. Which includes personal social media. There are some companies I can't even say I'm working on a project for them.
    What do you find to be the most challenging part of being of graphic designer?

Clients. You have to really know how to deal with people.
    Would you rather see a website or a printed portfolio (or both)?
    Depends on what you are showing me and what type of job you are applying for. Printed pieces are nice. But it's a little difficult to bring in a lobby sign or tradeshow booth if you've happened to design any of those.
    What would be the best type of pieces to include in a portfolio?

Your best ones.
    Be aware of the company where you are interviewing. Find out what they do. What they need. What You can do for Them (not what they can do for you.) Adjust portfolio accordingly.
    From viewing my portfolio, which areas of design could I use improvement most?
    Will check back on this.
    What things did you like and dislike about my portfolio?
    Will check back on this.

What tips would you give an entry level designer like myself?
    The most helpful tip I can give you, and it is probably too late at this point, is to get as many internships, part time jobs, summer jobs in the field that you can. Entry level is not a college grad. Entry level is a college grad with 2 years of real world experience. Getting that while in school puts you ahead of the pack.
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 06-18-2017, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Re the portfolio
      Right off the top, there is a metal band and a naked torso, front and center. With a medical website next to it. Your portfolio layout should be just as designed as your best designed pieces. Which of all these pieces is your best work and why doesn’t that lead off? Or some people may argue you should put your second best piece first and finish with your best (though you run the risk of someone clicking off before they get to the end.)

The Korn web banner is mediocre at best and derivative in nature. Not a lot of design there.

The Manson poster
      …It does the job, once I figured out I could click on it and make it smaller even though on my mac the icon was a + magnifier. It initially shows in a scroll version, which isn't the best way to present a poster.

Medical website
      If you wrote the copy, it is clunky. If the client wrote the copy, you might suggest alternatives.
      In particular, ''Our team strives to run countless testing to determine the root to your health issues,'' sounds very unprofessional.

Also there is a typo in the cancer breakthrough text.

If you have a patient portal, I'd ask you if you know how to secure the site to HIPPA standards.

Duoskin
      I have no idea what you are selling.
      Why do the pieces have the black bar that says ‘’Production Management’’? What does that mean?

Travel poster.
      Weak typography. Why is the crescent and star squished? The Illustrator art is not spectacular. I can see a bit of work went into it, but I'm still seeing a long way to go.

PSA, this is really pretty good. It is a bit confusing at the end where you are showing the older man behind the keyboard. He's the wolf, right? Shouldn't he see Red Hoodie on the screen?

Name is Identity
      Looks like a typical school project. Is it one of your stronger pieces? Not really.

Playing card.
      I wish colleges would lose this project. it has no bearing in the real world. Again not a strong piece except for your rendering of Lady Liberty. That is really good.

Inspirational poster. I'm curious what the class critiques said about this one. The typography and word hierarchy are weak. Is the idea to show that Hell ends at some point?

Feed and Go
      Your silhouette on the kitten needs work. Why is the grass larger then the kitten? Why the weird little photo of the phone with a different cat on it?
      ''Do not neglect’’? The word Neglect has negative connotations. You need to be more positive about the experience the end user would have while using their phone to feed their kitty.
      There is an extra space between Not and Neglect in the top left piece.

Overall as a presentation of student work, it gets the job done. It could be presented in a much better format.
      Typos are bin fodder though. Shows lack of attention to detail.
      Last edited by PrintDriver; 06-18-2017, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I appreciate the feedback and thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I can use your advice to go through all my work and make the adjustments they need. Other students in my class sugar coated their critiques, plus they are also learning so they don't have that expert eye. I'm close to graduating but far from professional.

Comment

Hi Wokn and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X