Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Complete beginner seeking advice from professionals!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete beginner seeking advice from professionals!

Hello,

I am currently going to school for marketing. I have had a passion for graphic design for a while now but unfortunately, it is too late to switch my major. Next semester, I will be taking a course "intro to graphics", but I would like to begin self-teaching ASAP. I was wondering if anyone who started out in the same boat that I am in has any advice for me. I really do not know anything at this point and need help getting started in the right direction.

What I see myself doing is designing invitations and cards at first, and then moving on to logos, ads, etc. I cannot wait to get started, I just do not know where to begin! Advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Ljaber22 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Ljaber22, when I started out YouTube and Lynda.com were my best friends. I eventually took courses at my local college that helped as well. Best of luck! It is so exciting to see you have found your passion.

Comment

Hi Tam and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

If you want to be a graphic designer, the three ransomwares...er...I mean softwares you should learn are Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. Not necessarily in that order. Then you need to learn when to use each. They aren't entirely interchangeable.

Comment

+1 on what Printdriver said. Don't let anyone tell you that this other software does the same thing because it doesn't. Using the software properly is a big part of design today but you also need to have some design ability. This can be learned.

Too many 'designers' today rely on the software to achieve results but to be a good designer you need to have the idea first. I know I sound like a grumpy old fart saying this but its true. Now I use the Adobe Design suite and I have to say it is so much easier than doing it by hand.

When I started out in the 80s the PC was only just becoming a thing. Artwork was scissors and paste. If I say I spent hours spotting out negs with red lith paint I'm not sure how many here would know what I mean (with a few honourable exceptions).

I learned how to use the software by recreating existing newspaper and magazine pages, just as an exercise. It was frustrating at first to get the effect I wanted - fonts were limited (8 on the first release) and you couldn't place photos. Working within limitations like this was a valuable lesson in itself.
            Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

A good designer needs to know how to ''see''. Things like perspective and spatial relations are very important, as are visual hierarchy and overall focus of composition. Drawing skills are a good way of learning that. You don't need to be the next Michelangelo, but having some basic artistic skills will certainly assist your career. The other part of artistic skills goes toward Photoshop and the things you would be called upon to do as a graphic designer. It takes some amount of artistic ''seeing'' to be able to accurately and seamlessly composite an image or doing some of the more finicky touch up and restoration of images.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
                Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
                PanToshi
                Happy Thanksgiving!

Today, 01:20 PM
              • B
                Reply to Happy Thanksgiving!
                B
                Happy Thanksgiving everyone (even to those of you outside the U.S.)!

As for turkey, I worked a summer job in a Norbest butter ball turkey processing plant before college, and haven't touched...
                Today, 12:57 PM
              • Arka-Software
                Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                Arka-Software
                There are many software in the market which are using for vector pattern are:- 1) Inkscape 2) Xara Xtreme 3) Skencil 4) Scribus 5) VRR 6) CoceptDrow PRO 7) ZeusDraw 8) MagicTracer 9) Nodebox 10) Tgif
                Today, 12:46 PM
              • PrintDriver
                Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                PrintDriver
                You want a program that is used to dealing with vector axis data. Photoshop would probably be inappropriate.

The only way I can think to do this is to have a script written for Illustrator...
                Today, 09:10 AM
              • KitchWitch
                Reply to New in Here
                KitchWitch
                Hi Asif_shawon and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
                Today, 09:09 AM
              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X