Master's Degree theme

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master's Degree theme

I'm applying for a master's degree in Graphic and Editorial Design and I need to write a letter to apply. The thing is that I don't know if my theme for "investigation" is strong enough to build a thesis - (I hoped I spelt it right). The theme I'm thinking of is the relation between graphic design and human behaviour - in terms of what kind of behaviours it might trigger, such as a campaign for a social problem that makes people aware and also makes them more susceptible to try to help on the matter .

It really depends on the school you're applying to. They all have different notions of what's appropriate and what isn't. Graphic design and human behavior is awfully broad, so I'm quite sure they'll ask you to narrow it down to something quite a bit more specific. Whether or not they want something that specific in an application, I have no way of knowing. Typically, when graduate students are accepted, the student will, under direction of the program, assemble a graduate committee composed of faculty members and, sometimes, outside experts to guide the student's work and narrow the focus of the thesis requirements.

Just for comparison's sake, in my MFA program there was no requirement regarding a specific thesis in the admission application. It's been 20 years, but there might have been a question or two asking why I was interested in graduate school and what I expected to gain from it -- I don't remember for sure. The thesis subject itself, as I mentioned, was developed with the "help" (interference, actually) of my graduate committee during the first year of the program. The second year was devoted almost entirely to the thesis. In my case it was an exploration of editorial typography in relationship to emerging technologies. It consisted of both a written thesis and an actual show of work.

Honestly, it was largely two years of wasted time (University of Utah). Good luck!

Comment

B forgot to mention his waste of time was because he'd been in the industry a few years before going back for the Masters.

With the industry the way it is, I wouldn't recommend going direct from a Bachelors to a Masters program, and I wouldn't recommend the Masters be in Graphic Design. I'd shoot for an adjunct, complimentary Masters field that adds to your qualifications rather than just adding letters after your degree.

Comment

Hi Anaguimaraes and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
          B forgot to mention his waste of time was because he'd been in the industry a few years before going back for the Masters.
          That's true; it was about eight or nine years after my BFA. It sounds a bit arrogant, but if there's one thing I gained from graduate school it was the confidence that came from realizing that I had outgrown the tenured teachers, who just dabbled in graphic design inside their (mostly irrelevant) academic environment. It would have been a much better use of my time and money to pursue a related master's degree, like communication, advertising or marketing.

-------------------

Just following up with one more thing.

An even bigger misuse of time and money would be to get a graphic design degree, then head straight to graduate school and study more graphic design.

An undergraduate degree is nearly essential in that it's become both a must-have hiring credential and that it provides a solid basis to start a professional career in the real world where the rest of one's education begins.

Heading straight into graduate school without that break runs the risk of deeply ingraining a bunch of viewpoints and habits that might be appropriate in school, but won't serve you all that well in the marketplace that bears little resemblance to the priorities of academia.
          Last edited by B; 07-07-2017, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X