Student seeking feedback/advice for university event poster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student seeking feedback/advice for university event poster

I am new to editing and photoshop, in fact I had just started using the software for the past month and so I am still very new to being creative with this software.

This poster is is for our music organization's event, with the theme of celebrating our love for our mother tongue. The title SINTA means "old-fashioned love" in our language, and the characters below are our ancient writing/language system translation for the main title. Basically, the event is to help bring back or spread the love for our mother tongue through our music and songs which are composed of love songs in our language. Our music group is kind of like a rondalla, hence the silhouettes. The background color combinations are like that, because I wanted to have the romantic/love vibe. Plus, the lantern-like lights, i think, add to that mood. Also, to add a little bit of trivia to the event, the notes in the staff, when played is our national anthem.

I wanted to know what you guys think, any professional graphic designers out here who could give me feedback is highly appreciated! Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	hello.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	21329

Photoshop is not a layout tool. It is for photo editing and image art creation. It outputs text as raster rather than vector in most cases and as 4-color text to boot. If printed offset, plate registration can be a disaster, especially with small or fine line knock-out type.

How big is your photoshop artboard and what resolution did you create this with?

What are the two symbols under Sinta? With everything else being balanced center, they draw attention by being off balance.
    Consider doing something with the raw ends of the music staffs. They just end, awkwardly.
    Why are the hanging lanterns on the floor plane?

Consider your piece as a whole, not its individual parts. Make the parts relate and give hierarchy to those parts that are most important.

The location of your event is missing.

Comment

Here are just some random thoughts that might or might not be applicable.

​Photoshop (or any other software) is just a tool. Graphic designers must master their tools, but mastering the tools does not make one a designer. Similarly, aesthetics and good looks are tactics, of sorts, to make the work more attractive to the target audience and achieve the end goals. Aesthetics, by itself, is usually not the goal.

With that said, your work looks nice, but there are a few technical issues.

First, Photoshop is not typically the best tool for something like this. Instead, a vector application, like, Adobe Illustrator, would be more appropriate since it's a drawing tool that's not limited by resolution issues. I don't know the physical dimensions, but if it's a good-sized poster prepared at the standard 300ppi, it might have been difficult to work with due to its size. Illustrator would have solve that problem. There are additional reasons not to have used Photoshop, but I won't get into them now. In general, as the name implies, Photoshop is a tool used to work with photos, which your poster is not.

Second, there's not enough information on the poster for interested viewers. There's no contact information, no venue address, no ticket prices, no place to buy tickets and no time listed on August 17 listed for the concert to take place. Is the string ensemble named Sinta or Harmonya? If it's Harmonya, shouldn't their name be the largest text on the poster. As it is now, their name comes across as the sponsor or presenter of the concert, not the main performers.

Comment

I might mention too that the gradient is going to band badly (get stripey) if this is much bigger than an 8"x10" poster. Keep that gradient on its own layer so the printer can apply some heroics, if they are so inclined. Your average DIY printshop is just gonna push the button on that though....

Comment

Hi Parkhanrin and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I saw this and thought Sinta was a variation of Sinti (Gypsy of central Europe)--known for Jazz ensembles with the same orchestration from the illustration.
            (Django Rhgeinhart is the most famous of the Sinti Jazz musicians)
            Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

I am a student just giving some feedback, I am not a professional!
              I like the way that you have used the colors in your flyer. The hierarchy is clear for me, Everything you want the audience to see is drawn to the middle of the page. Everything flows to the middle of the page! I know it is clear that you are drawing us into the band and then have the smaller (not as important words in smaller font)

Comment

Hi Designer44 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X