Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about file types in the industry

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what kind of file types are typically used to submit things like scaleable logo designs and other work to clients. Is the common one SVG? If someone could give me a little bit of information on this I would be very grateful, thanks!!

Kind regards,
    Hassy

Hi Hassy and welcome to GDF.

When I make logos, I use Illustrator and end up with .AI files.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

How a logo is used determines what file format is used.
      Web and print use different formats.
      When handing off to clients, an assortment of file formats is used for a logo.
      .svg is not common at all.
      .ai and .pdf are most common
      .eps should not be used any more. It is obsolete and doesn't play nicely with other design elements.
      .jpg is sometimes included for client quick-use but should be clearly marked in a folder as not suitable for print output.

Any competent web designer should be using the .ai to create properly scaled graphics at the proper resolution to load effficiently for the website. Whether that is jpg, png or svg is determined by use.

Comment

I simple place (if it needs to be incorporated in another piece) or print the .ai file directly. If I need to give the logo to a client - Press Quality PDF file.
        It's been a while since I've come across anyone asking for SVG. At least 5 years...

I still get certain vendors asking for EPS files though...

Comment

I get SVG files all the time, but not logos. The ones I get come from the broadcast industry where most of the work is originally created in some kind of animation format. I get a frame from them as an SVG sometimes to produce 3D elements or vinyl sign lettering. Coming from the animation format, it is usually a nightmare of overlapping vector shapes, but sure beats getting a flattened .psd anytime.

eps files just do not handle the transparency features now available in all the design programs and cause more trouble than they are worth if, for some bad reason, transparency is used in the logo itself.

I long ago stopped asking for .eps logos. I've found that in the last 10 years or so, that means take the .jpg logo and bring it into Photoshop and save it as an .eps. Or, just as bad, take the jpg logo, plop it into Illustrator and save it as an .eps. I worry about your industry sometimes...........

Comment

I create the logo in Illustrator (or InDesign if its simple) and export to PDF. Scaleable and ubiquitous - everyone should be able to open a PDF by now. If its for a web page I will ask what file type they prefer, but often they are happy with the PDF and convert it themselves.
            Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

Here's the thing about logos.
              Vector program. Illustrator .ai format with PDF capability turned on when saving.

The PDF is not the be-all,end-all in file format handoff. Too many things can go wrong, from profile mismatches to flattened transparency. It can make quite a mess.

Given that a logo created in Indesign has to be either exported as a PDF, or copy and pasted into Illustrator in order to have work performed on it, say for making a 3D sign, you are adding unnecessary steps to the process (that justify my file prep fee....)

Also given that lately some very strange and nasty issues have come up in the latest releases of InDesign when it comes to "exporting" gradients applied to vector shapes, I wouldn't recommend any logo be done in InDesign. That's like designing a logo in Quark. Bad. Don't.
              Thank you.

Comment

• StudioMonkey
                StudioMonkey commented
                Editing a comment
                Point taken - I would only do simple logos in InDesign and I would make sure any PDF would be fully editable in Illustrator.

• PrintDriver
                PrintDriver commented
                Editing a comment
                Part of that checking should be looking at it in Outline view. If you see gradients or other effects being exported as rectangles with gradients applied then masked by the logo shape, you need to go in and correct that in the illustrator logo file.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X