No announcement yet.

Grids, Margins, Columns and Modules

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Grids, Margins, Columns and Modules

    The word module is giving me a hard time.
    I looked up the meaning and here's what it was displayed:
    each of a set of standardized parts or independent units that can be used to construct a more complex structure, such as an item of furniture or a building.
    an independent self-contained unit of a spacecraft.
    any of a number of distinct but interrelated units from which a program may be built up or into which a complex activity may be analyzed."

    I'm really not understanding what is "MODULE" in terms of graphic design.

  • #2
    I've never heard the word module used in the context of grids, margins and columns. In web design, a module is a common term for a pre-built object that gets plunked down onto specific pages in a content management system (CMS). In typography and print design, however, I've never heard the word used to describe anything.

    Looking at the letterhead layout in your other post, perhaps your instructor or textbook is considering the individual blocks created by a grid as modules. I mean, that's what I might call them if someone asked, but I've never heard someone refer to them using that term (or any other term, for that matter).
    Last edited by B; 09-24-2017, 10:33 AM. Reason: More stuff added


    • #3
      The only time I've heard it used in reference to design is to describe a subsection of the course of study, as in, as part of a semester class in Typography the professor may say, ''in this module we will be studying how typography can relate to the grid.''






      Incredible Stock

      Latest Topics


      • Glitchin
        Reply to What kind and which book would it be wise to spend on?
        Work for money design for love by David Airey and Know Your Onions: Graphic Design by Drew De Soto are good books for freelancers if your just starting out in the industry.

        Also Pretty Much...
        Today, 03:55 PM
      • Glitchin
        Comment on Logo Feedback
        I'm confused. This is one of your designs from your original post right? I meant if you could post an image of the logo the client liked, it might help. "They provided me a Logo they want it...
        Today, 03:24 PM
      • Glitchin
        Reply to Critique Please?
        This is the latest version. I have thickened the CF and lowered the weight of the sound....
        Today, 02:58 PM
      • Glitchin
        Comment on Critique Please?
        Hey thanks for the feedback.

        I have tried what you're suggesting with shapes rather than lines, but it didn't work for me.

        That's the challenge, making it looking like CF whilst...
        Today, 02:54 PM
      • PrintDriver
        Reply to Portfolio usage of work
        Nice article B, and illustrates my point about being an LLC or a sole proprietor. The LLC is a business entity separate from your personal life. With sole proprietorship, all of your belongings and assets...
        Today, 12:42 PM
      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings