Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissertation, typography.

Hello,

I am a third year student in graphic design. I have the great pleasure (or pain) of writing a 5000 word dissertation. A but of background for this, I am 25 and never wanted to study as the dissertation is daunting especially with myself being amazingly bad with essays etc. So I need some help.

I am basing my dissertation around typograohy, however it is way to broad, I need to narrow it down but still cannot come up with a real topic to debate about.

Few considerations are
    Sustainability
    Branding with type
    Helvetica overused.
    And culture within typography

I have hit multiple books, journals, magazines and websites and still cannot come up with a decent question to really research into.

Anyone offer any suggestions as to the topics I can take on.

Apologies for the long post, but for some one who hates dissertations and has no idea where to start, i could do with some feedback.

Thank you

Hi General and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Apologies for the spell check error. A day of no sleep has driven me to errors.

Comment

What about the main point of typography?

How it makes us feel…

This is what I was taught that typography is all about. The fonts you choose, how you arrange them, and how you use them influence emotion. Why not talk about how typography does that?
        Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
        2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5

Comment

Explain to me what typography has to do with sustainability.....

?

How about why the US gov. ordered all these highway signs, then decided they didn't like the font.
          https://www.citylab.com/transportati...arview/427068/

Comment

Typograohy and print, links in with sustainability.
            Also as you linked in, the examples of things we have created then don't need. Or are incorrect. It is a very broad leap. But it was just a thinking point.

Comment

If you are going to make the leap from typography to sustainability, what you first have to do is define sustainability.
              People tossing that term around are driving me insane.

Comment

Originally posted by General_spatula View Post
                Typograohy and print, links in with sustainability.
                Also as you linked in, the examples of things we have created then don't need. Or are incorrect. It is a very broad leap. But it was just a thinking point
                You said your dissertation is on typography, not printing. Unless you want to change its focus, I'd be inclined to stick to something that actually pertains directly to typography.

Originally posted by General_spatula View Post
                Few considerations are
                Sustainability
                Branding with type
                Helvetica overused.
                And culture within typography

Branding with type -- Off the top of my head, I don't see a whole lot of interesting substance for a dissertation. It's a little like writing a paper on hammers and how they can be used to pound in nails. If you choose this topic, you'll need to dig deep to find something to say that isn't already obvious..

Helvetica overused -- Don't do this one. The subject has been beaten to death, been discussed for years and is simply a matter of opinion. Besides, Helvetica is used a whole lot less today than it was in, say, the 1970s and '80s.

Culture within typography -- I think this one has potential, but you'll need to define just how typography and cultures are connected and why it matters.

There's also a lot of opportunity to research and write about the effects that continuous technological advancements have had and will continue to have on the evolution of typography. That's a big subject, but there are plenty of opportunities within that subject to explore and narrow down into a dissertation. What I wouldn't do here is get bogged down discussing the technology; that's a different subject. Instead, I'd focus specifically on some aspect of how typography is affected and changes in response to technological developments.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X