Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind and which book would it be wise to spend on?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind and which book would it be wise to spend on?

I've read a few free e-books on graphic design which are the following:

* TYPOGRAPHY CRASH COURSE
    by D E N I S E B O S L E R

This short book is about font management, creating contrasts between serifs and sans serif,etc and some rules like not stretching types; basic terms like kerning, tracking, leading and ligatures.

* The Complete Manual of Typography, Second Edition
    by James Felici

It's more about font formats such as otf,ttf, web fonts etc. - Why they were created etc.

*LOGO DESIGN
    by Blue Soda Promo

It's a sort book about a few fundamentals of logo design e.g. choosing the correct type face, not using fancy effects, simplicity, using vector formats.

*The Vignelli Canon by Massimo Vignelli

It's about few of Massimo Viginelli's laws of graphic design. It consists of his complaint about how fancy type faces have created visual pollution, creating hierarchy in layouts, why European print sizes are better than USA's, Why sizes like A4 are the standard size? (since it's a golden rectangle), one of his remarkable laws: "I strongly believe that design should never be
    boring, but I donít think it should be a form
    of entertainment. Good design is never boring, only bad design is."

So for me what would be the most sensible thing to do? I mean which and what kind of book might be sort of the best for me to spend on?

THANKS TO Y'ALL IN ADVANCE!!

Oops! I forgot to mention that I want to specialize in corporate identity, poster and banner design.
    Last edited by Thug-D; 10-22-2017, 03:44 AM. Reason: misspelled one word

Comment

Work for money design for love by David Airey and Know Your Onions: Graphic Design by Drew De Soto are good books for freelancers if your just starting out in the industry.

Also Pretty Much Everything by Aaron Draplin is a nice book, although I think you might gain more from the others I mentioned from what I gather from your previous posts.

There are loads of good ones out there though and I would own them all twice if I was rich lol

Comment

Logo Font & Lettering Bible by Leslie Cabarga
        An interesting and colourful read.

Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in Your Artwork by David Chelsea
        Is good, if you need to get your head around perspective for any kind of design / art.

Comment

Hi Rank and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Maybe you should have a look at Graphic Design The New Basics (2nd ed.) by Ellen Lupton and Jennifer Cole Phillips; Design Elements, Color Fundamentals: A Graphic Style Manual for Understanding How Color Affects Design by Aaris Sherin.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
              Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
              PanToshi
              Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
              Today, 03:46 PM
            • PanToshi
              Reply to Looking for comments
              PanToshi
              Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
              Today, 03:46 PM
            • PanToshi
              Reply to Flyer Crtitique
              PanToshi
              Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
              Today, 03:40 PM
            • HotButton
              Reply to Flyer Crtitique
              HotButton
              There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
              Today, 03:36 PM
            • pobrien
              Flyer Crtitique
              pobrien
              Hi,

I would greatly appreciate feedback on a flyer design for a promotional contest. I am transitioning from a 3D artist to more design work, so I know I have made some mistakes in spacing,...
              Today, 01:12 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X