What is full bleed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is full bleed?

I know what bleed is. I've looked up full bleed on the internet but only search results for bleed appeared.

Here's the context where I found the word:

"The book layout we tend to favor is a very simple
    format of a page of text beside a picture on a full
    bleed page, followed by a full bleed picture spread,
    followed by a page with a full bleed picture facing a
    white page with a picture - either on the center or
    upper right corner." - The Vignelli Canon

A bleed is when the printing extends beyond the edge of one or more sides of the printed sheet and is then trimmed to size. A full bleed is when the printing bleeds on every edge/

Comment

Correct. Imagine a flyer with a red bar and the very bottom of the page. the top part of the flyer remains white - this is a partial bleed (as only 3 of the 4 edges requiring being trimmed to bleed)

Now picture a flyer with photo in the background that covers the entire piece, or a flyer with a solid blue background taking up the full printable area (whatever the case may be). Now all 4 edges must be trimmed to bleed. This, is a full bleed.

Comment

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• Thug-D
          Thug-D commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks a lot for responding with a picture! Now, I think I'll never forget what full bleed and partial bleed is!

Dunno about you, but I trim to crops (or die line) and cut off the bleed...
        on all 4 sides.
        White or color.
        Sometimes with a little of the safety involved - sometimes not -
        because printing is not an exact science.
        That is my pet peeve this week.
        People trying to make things ''exact''.

Comment

• HotButton
          HotButton commented
          Editing a comment
          Heh. Software affords ''exact'' placement, measurement, etc. It's when hardware enters the equation that ''tolerances'' also come in. It's always best to know and explore the possibilities and limitations posed by those tolerances and design ''exactly'' for optimum compromise within the tolerances. So yeah.

• PrintDriver
          PrintDriver commented
          Editing a comment
          ...deleted
          Thought better not.

I do the same also. Especially with smaller print sizes. Business cards for example I always give myself an extra 1/8th of an inch 'Bleed' even if the artwork doesn't necessarily bleed

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X