Designing for 2D & 3D assessment piece

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designing for 2D & 3D assessment piece

Hi! I've just joined GDF and I'm looking forward to getting amongst it.

I'm working on an assessment piece for designing in 2D and 3D and would love some feedback.
    I've created interior and exterior signage, poster and business cards mockups for a hypothetical agency, would love to know what you think.

Thanks
    Attached Files

I do signage as a profession all day long.
    Where to start...

- using a lightbulb to represent creative ideas is very much a cliche. So much so, it looks like you took the easy way out. Also, have you seen the Watson logo?

- using the light bulb at such a small size as the 'a' in 'creative' makes it less of an element because the stroke thickness/weight does not match the lettering. It vanishes at small sizes and in drop-out situations and won't at all light well. (Not to mention, to some of us, the old joke about a woman and a girdle still comes to mind...only you've added a new twist to it by using a dot instead of a filament............)

- An outside blade sign that is just a flat piece of plexi with drop-out lettering through vinyl is still a 2D sign. Your sign elements are 2D. The fact that it's a blade sign wouldn't qualify as 3D in my virtual classroom. As an exterior element, it needs to take into consideration not only local sign code, but also what is going on around it. A blade sign is only read from an approach angle. If someone is standing directly across from your building entrance, what do they see besides the front edge of the sign? How well does it stand out from the other signage in the vicinity? How well does it suit the building architecture? How well does it represent the brand?

- The interior lobby signage...is that neon? Real neon? Or some kind of faux neon? There are some construction details that are going to mess with your design either way, starting with having to pass electrical connections through a wall (neon is high voltage). The word "creative" isn't real neon, you don't have the correct tubing bends, so it would have to be some kind of lit plastic. These things always look great on paper, but when it comes to actually building them, some concessions do have to be made.

- Were the posters/wall sign required? or could you do any kind of 2D/3D element you wanted. Would you really hang your posters in your design office from binder clips and string? Or was that just the template you found. What are the posters printed on? What are some other hanging methods you could explore (check out Gyford systems for instance.)

There are other 2D things you could do with this space. Wallcover is 2D. Applique vinyl is 2D. Dye sub on window covers could be considered 2D. Dye sub on upholstery fabrics could be 3D. Wrapping furnishings with auto wrap could be considered 2D or 3D. There is a whole world of stuff out there that doesn't fall under the boring business card and poster heading. Quite honestly? The person designing the logo may not be the person doing the interior design. Because of all the specialty processes involved, 3D interior graphic design has pretty much become its own field.

Take it the extra mile.
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 11-25-2017, 12:14 PM.

Comment

The lightbulb logo, at least to me, reminds me of an overweight man bending over to pull up his pants. Sorry.

Comment

Hi I think your design looks very professional.

Comment

• PrintDriver
          PrintDriver commented
          Editing a comment
          Professional in what way? Elaborate.

Tangent/

This is what is considered professional.

Click on the drawing on this random link:
        https://www.elmarksigns.com/how-to-b...-to-buy-sign6/

All the important information (like the size) is in the flat drawing to the left of the rendering in the above example.
        It does a student no good to be able to do a rendering. Any sig artist could figure that out.
        Even if you don't know what materials to use or how it should be attached to the wall and lit, it is important to show actual size and element separation, plus an elevation showing how high off the floor, and where left and right on the wall, it should be placed .
        This is how the exercise should be taught.
        Not the student's fault.

Not sure if the student forum is the place for this, but maybe one day a student will ask their professor why they aren't learning some of this stuff.

/tangent.
        Last edited by PrintDriver; 11-26-2017, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• HotButton
          HotButton commented
          Editing a comment
          Right, I'm starting to see why young designers show up here so eager to show off their logo mock-ups—that's what they're being taught—a near-worthless exercise.

Hi Jacobd and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• StudioMonkey
          Reply to Price of Foil vs. Varnish for business cards?
          StudioMonkey
          Neither Foil nor Varnish are done on a digital press - you would have to get your Business Cards printed Litho. For 100 cards this is always going to be expensive - you could probably get 2000 cards...
          Today, 09:38 AM
        • natalya.jpg
          What do you think about my new web site?
          natalya.jpg
          What do you think about my new web site?

[COLOR=#6A6A6A !important]Hello everybody![/COLOR]

I've just made my new website for the great opera singer. What do you think?...
          Today, 03:16 AM
        • mishulikes
          Reply to The right typography
          mishulikes
          With body text, one tends to want use a simple serif for easier reading. Like B and PrintDriver have said, who is reading the magazine and even the genre of the content will dictate the typeface. I used...
          Today, 01:13 AM
        • mishulikes
          Reply to Please critique my jazz poster
          mishulikes
          Coloring can make or break a piece. Jazz tends to be a moody, soulful music. The lime green does not fit that moody feel and it might have been better if you pushed you color scheme a bit further to add...
          Today, 12:59 AM
        • mishulikes
          Reply to Hello All!
          mishulikes
          Thank you, KitchWitch!
          Today, 12:13 AM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X