Final project feedback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final project feedback

I'm currently in a History of Graphic design class, and my final is due in a week. My professor let us choose the project, giving us a lot of freedom, and I'm making a poster series. The idea is anime posters in the style of various deisgn/art movements, and some in the style of certain designers. I'm looking to get feedback and possible things to change and/or improve.

An image of all of them is attached. If you want to see an individual one on a larger scale, let me know. Thanks
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AllPosters.png
Views:	2
Size:	564.9 KB
ID:	21644

I have about 5 minutes before getting back to work here.
    I found this using a reverse image search and a screenshot of your first poster.
    (its a screenshot of the first line of returned search results.)
    This calls into question the rest of your work.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 7.17.41 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	21648

This is one of the reasons I hate self directed study projects in Graphic Design courses. Hated it when i was a student too.
    You get far to into your own likes and interests, when the real world couldn't be further from that.

on the posters, graphic design usually serves a message. On that alone, these fail.
    As pretty pictures, assuming some of them are your own work, they do the job of representation of some aspects of art history.

Comment

Hi Happy and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I randomly checked two others which seem rather authentic. Authentic from the anime perspective, anyway. and the background images seem unique enough for me to not be able to distinguish from anything else on the web.

I do somewhat of a transition through graphic design history. though a couple pieces don't exactly fit into a precise period of art history. You may have to do some explaining.

If your teacher is on the older side, as many history related teachers are, he may not appreciate the subject matter of anime. Though it's irrelevant to achieving the goal of the project, the subject of the pieces can still create a bias, conscious or otherwise. Know your audience, your client, or in this case, your professor.

Comment

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the copying since you're trying to duplicate other styles and designers' works. As a student project, if the instructor buys into your logic on mimickry and copying, that's one thing. In the real world, however, habits of this sort can result in designers losing their jobs or getting sued.

With that out of the way, the posters look really nice. Some of them are really quite beautiful, which is fantastic if that's the main objective and what your professor is after.

Even so, I'm sort of lost when it comes to what they're about. The subject matter obviously means something to you, but I doubt many others would pick up on what you're trying to accomplish with them -- at least without you explaining them.

To me, this comes across as a fine arts approach to graphic design, which is a trap many students fall into, and it's one that many academically inclined professors in fine arts-oriented schools fail to see as a problem. It typically only becomes a problem after the student graduates and finds out that the non-academic, professional world of graphic design doesn't operate that way.

Comment

Nice posters are made by Happy-Go-Pucky, hope you score high in your project.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Breanne.C
              Helloooooo!
              Breanne.C
              Hey everyone! My name is Breanne. I didn't realize there was an introduction spot until after I tried making my first post to identify a font. Ooopsie!

I'm from the Seattle area, a freelance...
              Today, 05:31 PM
            • Breanne.C
              Font ID Please
              Breanne.C
              Hey folks! I need help identifying the font in this logo, just the text "Fire Medic." Can anyone help ID it?

Today, 03:56 PM
            • chikisg84
              Comment on Need feedback on best way to start redesigning my portfiolio website
              chikisg84
              Thank you so much for your input. What you said about Joomla templates basically dictating the look and feel of the site is basically the reason I've held so long to my current site. I have not found...
              Today, 03:32 PM
            • Biggs097
              Reply to Price of Foil vs. Varnish for business cards?
              Biggs097
              Keep in mind the cost of the tooling the dye is a one time cost. The next lot of cards wont include the tooling cost.
              StudioMonkey is also correct of the cost vs. your volume. 100 cards may run...
              Today, 02:42 PM
            • B
              Reply to Need feedback on best way to start redesigning my portfiolio website
              B
              Joomla is my CMS of choice. For that matter, I'm working on some template modifications for a Joomla site this morning.

For a small personal site, Joomla might be overkill. It's certainly...
              Today, 02:11 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X