Feedback required for an assignment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback required for an assignment

Hi, I am a student, currently studying Graphic Design. My assignment brief was to design 2D and 3D shop signage for a fake business. I have created the attached signage items, including a poster, a wall vinyl decal, shop front lettering and a facade sign. I am looking for feedback on what works and what doesn't on these mock ups. Thank you for your assistance.
    Attached Files

Starting with the logo, the fine line art in the cliche CMYK icons is too fine and does not read from a distance. Not sure what the icons would mean to anyone outside the industry. If the idea is to attract creatives to a shared office space, it might work, but it won't bring general public clients in to a design office. The font/hand drawn text is just a little too out of synch. A little clean up, just a little, might help the unfinished feeling of it.

The posters
    Why have them at all? Why 2? Why trapped under standard glass in standard cheap-looking nielsen frames? Why the same branding on both in a relatively static and boring layout? Think outside the glass. The people in the office are already there. Give them something exciting to look at.

The office mockup
    Just die-cut vinyl on the wall? OK. <shrug>

The blade sign...
    In my virtual classroom this does not qualify as 3D exterior signage. It's just a flat board in a frame, like a poster. If doing a mockup of exterior signage, don't just show the sign. Show it in situ in wide angle. Give the client some idea how his logo sign is going to look along with the other store fronts on the block.

The exterior building sign...
    It looks like you've applied at least 1/2" thick metal letters to the exterior of a plate glass wall (unless this is indoors in a mall where they could be foam with a chemetal face. That's an important detail) If those are metal of any size, they are going to be heavy. Glass is very difficult to drill holes for studs in situ (as in nope) and any kind of industrial double stick tape will fail over time. The concept of ''sheer'' (the weight of an object in a vertical plane causing adhesive to fail) applies to all taped-on objects. Usually mitigated with studs so all the weight isn't on the tape. Again, when showing a client a mockup, show them a wide angle shot - how the logo relates to the entire entry facade of the business location. There is no sense of scale here at all.

Gonna reiterate what's been said probably half dozen times.
    Where are your elevation drawings?
    Anyone can do renderings. Even a 10yearold sig artist could figure that part out. If we do them at all where I work, they are a 10 minute exercise, not a week long class.

Someone has to build this. Where is that information, because if you aren't learning how to convey that information, you are doing a useless, time-wasting exercise.

I'm a sign guy (that also prints stuff)
    Part of my job it to realize a design in space. But you have to get at least half way there. Even if you don't know the materials or construction methods here are some things I would need to realize your work:

- How big are your posters? Printed on what? Do you just need two of the same? What is the frame spec? Are they matted? What are the Pantone callouts for the colors?

- How big is that Office Wall and what are the dimensions showing placement of the vinyl? What are the Pantone callouts for the colors? Or better, the make and color name/number of the vinyl you'd want to use.

- How big is that Blade sign? How big/wide/thick are the metal elements that make it? How is it finished (matte/gloss/satin)? The letters and icons, are they die cut vinyl? What are the Pantone or vinyl color callouts for the colors?
    A Word of Caution here, those thin borders and line elements will not weather at all well. The smaller the vinyl element, the less adhesive there is to keep it in place for any length of time. We'll assume you are putting it up high enough where the random vandal isn't going to peel it off.

- How thick and how tall and wide are the letters for your exterior sign? Are they brushed stainless or lacquered aluminum or some kind of plastic? Are they solid plate (probably) or fabricated channel letters (not likely, on glass)? Where is the elevation showing placement on the building facade? Do you have a vector file for review for a cut time estimate?

Going back to a random link I found on the intertoobs, if you click on the design drawing at this link you can see that the rendering is not the important part of a design concept drawing. All the stuff to the left is.
    https://www.elmarksigns.com/how-to-b...-to-buy-sign6/
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 12-03-2017, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Removing the counters from letters just draws attention to their absence, and for all the wrong reasons -- it looks bad. The same is true with the crudely drawn letters. Even if you did it on purpose, it draws attention what appears to be just sloppiness. Get rid of the period; it doesn't belong there. Periods go after complete sentences, not phrases or sentence fragments.

About PrintDriver's comments... He's absolutely right about the things he mentioned being critically important in a real-world, professional setting. PrintDriver knows more about signs and large format printing than anyone I've ever met.

Your job, though, is to impress your instructor, and I'd be willing to wager that your instructor cares more about aesthetics at this point in your education than about fabrication specs. Even so, if you're studying to become a professional designer, you need to pay attention to designing things that actually work, are cost-effective, practical and can actually be made without emptying a client's bank account.

Comment

Sorry to go off like that.
        I realize most of that is well beyond what a student would learn in class as far as materials and methods go.
        But presenting a signage concept is not. Even the most rudimentary of signage concepts will include some form of scale for an idea of dimensions, even if it's just the silhouette of a person standing next to the sign. I'm beginning to see a bit of the concept-drawing-as-rendering thing creeping out in the real world. It leaves too much open to interpretation and you will never get an accurate quote on a build out. Just because it looks pretty on paper doesn't mean it is practical in the real world.

It's gotten to the point where this type of cross-world design between graphic and interior is pretty much its own field now (it's actually been that way for a while.) There are just so many materials and processes out there that unless you live it and breath it, you just can't keep up. Designers are always pushing the envelope, and I'm perfectly happy to try to push limits, use unconventional materials, and attempt the impossible - all while trying to stay within the end client's budget.
        Last edited by PrintDriver; 12-03-2017, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Hi BTGDS and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Breanne.C
            Reply to Helloooooo!
            Breanne.C
            Actually, I do have a print related issue if you'd like to take a stab at helping me with. Should I post in the correct category with the issue and picture that goes with it?
            Today, 10:29 PM
          • Breanne.C
            Reply to Font ID Please
            Breanne.C
            Oh yeah.

Catorze27 Style 1 Bold best matched it, for the exception of the M, which I easily was able to fix....
            Today, 10:14 PM
          • B
            Reply to Logo Design - Font to match and go alongside chosen logo
            B
            You'll need to add an email address for interested designers to contact you and work out details offline.
            Today, 04:34 PM
          • Peter3v
            Logo Design - Font to match and go alongside chosen logo
            Peter3v
            Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm the owner of a recruitment company whom has a logo that they are happy with BUT would like the name of the recruitment business to be to the immediate right of the logo...
            Today, 12:40 PM
          • PrintDriver
            Reply to Poster for a school project
            PrintDriver
            Still doesn't help the student figure out how to come up with a viable concept. If they had done even the tiniest bit of research, your ''concept'' would have been easily discovered. It's on just about...
            Today, 06:54 AM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X