Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Analyzing and studying posters to learn and improve.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analyzing and studying posters to learn and improve.

I was wondering whether I've correctly identified the grids in this poster and why two the bigger elements which break the grid have 2 different type sizes?
    Attached Files

The two larger elements aren't breaking the grid. They just take up more columns of the grid. But they do stay within it. Think of it like a newspaper that has columns of text but the photos might cross 2 or 3 columns or more.

You have to remember too, that grids, like rules, are meant to be broken. Not every design can be broken down into a nice neat grid.

Comment

• Thug-D
      Thug-D commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, thanks for the reply but that does not answer my question. What I asked was why were two different type sizes used for the the bigger elements?

Yes, I think you've correctly identified the underlying grid. I think the only person who could answer your question about the different type sizes would have been Massimo Vignelli, but he's no longer with us. Just my opinion, but the two different sizes look a little weird -- sort of in that uncomfortable middle ground between too much and not enough.

Comment

My personal opinion on the 2 different sizes is emphasis.
      The first is statement.
      The second statement emphasizes the first, not only by repetition, but by pointing out that life is simply ''too short. Period.''

Comment

• HotButton
        HotButton commented
        Editing a comment
        ^Right.

Thug-D: By virtue of asking the question, you demonstrate the context of your view is rooted only in mechanical concerns (grids, sizes, etc.), and you're forgetting or discarding the aspect of reader experience. The differing size and color give the repeated statement emphasis and expression, cuing the reader's inner voice to firm up, rise, and land that second sentence with more authority than the first, reinforcing the primary message.

I'm about to commit heresy and, perhaps, blasphemy.

As much as I have always wanted to like Massimo Vignelli's work, I think his work was often repetitive, unimaginative and, sometimes, sloppy.

Take his Vignelli Canon for example ( http://www.vignelli.com/canon.pdf ). In it he lectures about typography and attention to detail on pages that are full of typographic mistakes, bad punctuation and questionable grammar.

I like the simplicity in his work, but his reputation as one of the greats of graphic design is, in my opinion, not entirely deserved.

Comment

• PrintDriver
        PrintDriver commented
        Editing a comment
        With graphic design there is no heresy or blasphemy to commit.
        I'd never heard of the guy.
        So either I slept through that class lecture, or my GD professor concurred with your opinion and didn't bother to introduce him to us. I suspect the latter. She would tank your grade for bad grammar and typos, even if the design was superb. Which this isn't.

• seamas
        seamas commented
        Editing a comment
        I came to the GD field from the Fine Art field and it took me a while to adjust, but one thing that eluded me was knowing the names of many famous or "in" designers.

Looking at that canon sort of has me puzzled by the body copy --the tightness of everything bugs me and the margins --especially the top margins are extremely stingy. It actually makes me uncomfortable.

• bigdata
        bigdata commented
        Editing a comment
        Repent, heathen!

The 2 different type sizes are important, as is the use of colour.

The smaller type in cyan is at the top so should be read first. The larger type in white is underneath so should be read second, BUT being white and bigger it stands out more - from a distance you see it first. This plays with the expectations of the viewer and brings in to question, if only for a moment, which line should be read first.

Another point of view - emphasis. Read it out loud or better still, sing it. The smaller blue type you can imagine as a single voice. The larger white type may be a full choir. Quieter, Louder. Repetition of one part of the first sentence. Emphasis brings perspective.

Like this;

Its about emphasis. EMPHASIS.
      Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

Visual hierarchy.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Kool
          Reply to User Experience Designer (m/w) gesucht in Bonn
          Kool
          Translation:

You have creative talent, creative courage and a very good analytical sense for user guidance? You would like to use your experience in carrying out user surveys, usability tests...
          Today, 07:00 AM
        • StudioMonkey
          Reply to Bleed problem! Image to the edge
          StudioMonkey
          It is quite impossible to cut a stack of paper exactly on the trim marks. Apart from the accuracy of the cut, which can be problematic, there are other factors;

- if printed on a digital...
          Today, 06:32 AM
        • StudioMonkey
          Comment on Help Creating Textures In Illustrator
          StudioMonkey
          This is how I do it too - take a few quick photos of interesting surfaces while you're out and about and then play around with them in PhotoShop. Once you've done a few like this you get a better idea...
          Today, 06:13 AM
        • StudioMonkey
          Reply to Vistaprint debacle
          StudioMonkey
          Wow
          Today, 06:06 AM
        • kaila58
          Reply to Portfolio critique
          kaila58
          Good point, but in my opinion it's distracting in a portfolio and lacks attention to detail when displaying work.
          Yesterday, 11:30 PM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X