Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can i learn Graphic Design by my self ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can i learn Graphic Design by my self ?

Hey Graphic designers, I decided to start learning Graphic design by my self recently, but i found it very hard to make a good curriculum to follow and to find the right resources, i have some basic knowledge on software like Illustrator and Photoshop, i just finished a book on elements of graphic design for Alex.W.White, and i just knew that i still have long way to achieve my goal,

I'll really appreciate any help from you, and i would be very grateful if you could answer my questions:
    where should i start?
    what are the books/courses i should read?
    ++++ what are the topics i should read about? if you can give me a curriculum from your university, that would be awesome
    knowing that i want to focus on Logo design first,
    thanks in advance, if you could help with just one word, i'll really appreciate it

Hi Zack and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by zack70111 View Post
      Hey Graphic designers, if you could help with just one word, i'll really appreciate it
      Seriously?
      Hip Hop just died this morning.

Comment

Are you located in the US?
        If yes, it would be a disservice for me to suggest to you that you can learn graphic design on your own and make a marketable career out of it.
        There are just far too many designers out there now that have a degree. 15 years ago I woulda said you could make it with a great portfolio but not any more. The GD industry didn't regulate itself but is now regulated externally by the employers that dictate a 4-year degree and 2 years of work experience is the entry-level qualification for a Graphic Designer, whether that is true or not.

Also, course curriculum varies depending on what field of design you intend to pursue. For that, you could go to any number of college websites and view course suggestions. But even that won't necessarily prepare you for the job. Nothing can replace in-class critiques or the internship work possibilities.

No pro graphic designer focuses solely on logo design, let alone doing that first. Logos aren't just single entities. They are part and parcel to a company's public face and brand experience. Logos are in print, online, on signage, on decor, they are carried over into just about every niche of a company's existence. You don't just create a logo. You are creating a whole individual brand that a company, especially a start up, is relying on to be a successful brand. A typical First Project for a newbie graphic designer would be creating one peripheral part of a company's marketing using already existing brand standards (and working within them.) Something like a trade advertisement for any number of media.

Last edited by PrintDriver; 01-03-2018, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
          what do you think about this article

http://www.karenx.com/blog/how-to-be...design-school/

Comment

Based on this video, I think she is more about gimmicks than design.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSwh2LA6a98
            Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

I think Karen got a job doing some graphic design. Good for her...perhaps. (She doesn't say whether she earns enough to support a family, household, etc.) The path she took, and the direction she gives there, might work for a woefully small percentage of people who have and take the time to earnestly attempt it, simply through the laws of accident (which is how she landed her job). I call it "direction," but really anyone can tell you "learn this, then learn that, then get a job doing what you learned." Honestly, I had a stout chuckle when I came to Learn Logo Design. The unkind fact is, even if you were fresh off a 4-year degree, you would still not have "learned" logo design. "I learned it, now I know it" is just not the nature of that discipline.

Plenty of untrained and self-trained people find themselves engaged graphics work (there are unending parades of them here and in the Adobe user forums, seeking advice about how to do this or that), but that doesn't constitute a career in graphic design. Should Karen's position at Exec disappear (it will), how good are her chances of lightning striking twice? Not as good as her one documented success might make you think, even considering the experience she gained by it.

The eyes of regulars here will roll with at-length tell of my story again, so for their sake and yours here is the bullet-point version:
              • Worked in factory making commercial appliances; amassed much product knowledge, which allowed me to:
              • Land a ('company') job in the Warranty Service Department, which at the time, held the responsibility for typesetting and illustrating technical documents, which, as low-man:
              • I inherited as a staple in my job description at the time when "desktop publishing" was becoming a thing, so:
              • I learned QuarkXpress, Photoshop, and vector drawing initially in Microsoft Draw, then CorelDRAW, and later:
              • Adopted and learned Illustrator and InDesign, going on to establish an all-Adobe-to-PDF workflow, and was appointed to:
              • The position of "Manager of Sales & Service Literature," in which I built an in-house publishing/distribution operation that supported a family of manufacturing firms under the parent company, and was eventually promoted to:
              • Group Director of Marketing Communications, where I excelled and prospered for almost a decade, when:
              • After 26 years with the company, an acquisition abroad resulted in US downsizing and the elimination of products, facilities, and my position.
              • I was in my 40's and unemployed for the first time in my life.
              • I can't describe the levels of effort I made to leverage my experience and get a job doing anything in Marketing, Graphic Arts, writing, managing, etc., some of those things I'm pretty good at, by the way.
              • Over time I resigned myself to the fact that my resume was repeatedly getting binned very early in the screening process despite a strong portfolio and decades of experience, simply and solely due to the absence of formal education.
              Inescapably, your chances of getting a graphic design job without a formal education are very near zero. Your chance of having a graphic design career may well indeed be...zero.
              Last edited by HotButton; 01-03-2018, 11:42 AM.
              I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

• zack70111
                zack70111 commented
                Editing a comment
                #kichWitch
                I also can't see my reply, did PrintDriver replied again? because i can't see anything, maybe its because am new here!

• aid4design
                aid4design commented
                Editing a comment
                I cannot see OPs response to PD's comment either... :-/

• KitchWitch
                KitchWitch commented
                Editing a comment
                My mistake, apologies. I thought I had approved the comment, but apparently I had not. You should be able to see it now.

One word you say? "College"
              "Degree" might also suffice.

If you've already read PrintDriver and HotButton's comments - take the time - and read them a second time. I cant think of better, more honest advice.

Comment

Originally posted by HotButton View Post
                Inescapably, your chances of getting a graphic design job without a formal education are very near zero. Your chance of having a graphic design career may well indeed be...zero.
                Thank you all for your answers, am new here in this forum, and i really appreciate the time you spend here to help other people,

Am fully aware that Graphic Design is a job, and not a Hobby, and i'll need a fair amount of time to fully master it, and i'll probably need a degree in order to be recognized and find job,

But unfortunately i can't study it at university for so many "personal" reasons, i can only read books/courses, and am just looking to work as a freelancer, just to get some money that i really really need, i know i wont get that much, but its okay
                I am medical student, and medecine is absolutely something that you can't study by your self, but i can give you a list of textbooks that will teach you pretty much anything a real doctors knows, and you may even make diagnosis for may disease, but still there are lot of things that you wont learn from books, like surgery!

If you understand what i mean am not looking to learn the "surgery" here, and am not trying to be as good as you, am just trying to start with the basics and work as a freelancer "doesn't matter how much i'll get", and am fully committed to this goal

i just started with some books on the principle and elements of graphic design, and i'll appreciate any reccommendation
                thank again

Comment

Well , i'll have you know i learned dental surgery on the internet. And have it fully mastered. I think. And business was going quite well, but, do to recent issues with my Mobile Dental Surgery Facility, ('87 Chevy van with a crudely painted tooth on the side) I had to but that business on hold.

That, and some legal issues I ran into. trivial really.

However, If you browse some of the freelance graphic design sites and apps there are quite a few jobs that involve simple, mundane typesetting. They don't pay very much, and so they remain unbid on for extended periods of time, you might be able to wrack up these jobs - as most of us ol' timers wont touch them.

Comment

the principle and elements of graphic design, and i'll appreciate any reccommendation
                    TBH, if your plan is to earn some pocket money on crowdsourcing sites, then you don't "need" to know much of anything. Most people trying their luck on sites of that nature are not concerned with "design", their concerns are focused on making some pocket money - quality is seldom on the radar. Inexperienced computer operators coupled with uneducated customers, it's why designers leave crowdsourcing sites to hobbyists and amateurs.

Learn about color theory, typography, art history, psychology and marketing. Learn to draw with a pencil on paper. Learn about perspective. Learn about light and shadow. Learn about hierarchy. Learn about positioning. Learn about messaging. Learn to write content. Learn about strategy. Learn about brand positioning. Learn about copyright. Learn about images and all the different usage and payment tiers. Learn about all the different types of printing. Learn about all the different types of color spaces. Learn web/mobile/social implementation. I could go on and on. This is list is just a starting point . . .
                    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

• zack70111
                      zack70111 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you so much PanToshi
                      And you're right, that's what i noticed on those website, its obvious that people working there are just hobbyists, and customers are very hard to deal with since they know nothing about graphic design,

But i thought i'll have better chances if i'll take some time to study more, and beside i want to be self satisfied about what am doing

Anyway, is there any titles that you would recommend for me, i just started to read "design basics for david A.Lauer",

Also learn about proper file formatting. "Designers" on crowdsourcing sites are notorious for delivering crappy jpg logos that clients have to pay a professional to be re-done for print.
                    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I am medical student, and medecine is absolutely something that you can't study by your self, but i can give you a list of textbooks that will teach you pretty much anything a real doctors knows, and you may even make diagnosis for may disease, but still there are lot of things that you wont learn from books, like surgery!
                      Unlike medicine, there are very few textbooks in graphic design that will teach you much of anything other than basic principles. Graphic design is more like learning to play a musical instrument where constant practice and critiques are the path to improvement. Yes, you can buy a book on learning to play the guitar, but studying the book in no way removes the necessity of many thousands of hours of practice and ongoing feedback being required to become proficient. It's within that practice and feedback from others where the learning takes place.

Way too many people equate graphic design with learning to use the software tools (which can definitely be picked up from the combination of a textbook and hours of practice). Similarly, learning to spell and use a pen does not make one a professional writer. Learning the rules and swinging a bat does not provide entry into the major leagues. Learning to wield a scalpel does not prepare someone to perform surgery. Similarly, learning graphics software on one's own does not prepare someone to be a designer. Learning the tools does not provide expertise into those areas that the tools were designed help with.

There are no shortcuts to mastering design. But if all you want to do is work the crowdsourcing sites for pocket change, get yourself a subscription to Adobe's Creative Crowd, learn the programs and start entering the contests. You still won't be a professional designer, but you might very well be as proficient as the teenagers and amateurs you'll competing against. There are a whole lot of people needing small, inconsequential things laid out and built, and most of those, um, clients don't know the difference between good and terrible work anyway. The crowdsourcing sites cater to these very people, so if your temporary objective to bring in a small bit of extra cash until you get your medical license, sure, give it a shot. As I understand it, though, there is no free time in medical school for side jobs.

Comment

• zack70111
                        zack70111 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        you really understand me thanks for your answer

• aid4design
                        aid4design commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Originally posted by B View Post
                        As I understand it, though, there is no free time in medical school for side jobs.
                        ..much less one that has absolutely nothing to do with chosen medical study, and offers zero professional benefit.

thank you so much folks, i really appreciate your answers, it definitely helps

Comment

Originally posted by B View Post
                        Adobe's Creative Crowd
                        Hahahahahahahahahahahah!
                        I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

• B
                          B commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Freudian slip, I think.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                      Working...
                      X