This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Crit Pit FAQ

Saying something is awful is an opinion, that does not necessarily make it the truth. It's also rude by any reasonable definition. If I had a nickel for every rude thing posted on the internet and excused by the catch all "It's just my opinion" I could retire today. Well I can't control the rest of the internet but I can control this little piece of it. We decide way back when this forum was born that we didn't want the kind of critique section that a lot of other forums had. Since that time we have been accused of having nothing but a love fest, but that's not true or fair. The bottom line is that we like our forum just the way it is and so do a lot of others. Those that don't care for our rules are free to go elsewhere and find a forum they like. It's getting to the point lately where quite a few of our regular contributing members are starting to complain about the showcase section and the constant rudeness being displayed there. That means I need to get involved.

People be nice! It's not hard. This includes new members as well as old timers. Before you post a reply say to yourself - If I met this person face to face for the first time and they asked my opinion would I say "that's awful" or would I say "I don't think that's working, here's what I THINK you could do to fix it" If your response is the first one then your probably not the kind of person we want in our forum. If we continue to get complaints we will start banning people. There are other forums where rudeness is perfectly acceptable, we are not one of them.

Thank You, have a nice day.

The Crit Pit FAQ

How should I post my work?

The preferred method seems to be linking your image into your post, so that members who view your thread don't have to click a link to go view your image.

You can host images for free at www.imageshack.us or www.tinypic.com, or you can create a free account at a site like www.photobucket.com or www.flicr.com.

Once you have uploaded the image, you can link it into your post using image tags, like this:

You can also attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Go Advanced] button, then at the bottom of the post composition page, click [Manage Attachments] and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this forum: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip.

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon.

What else should I include along with my art?

It is a good idea to include a short description of the project. Other designers can give you better feedback if they know what the client asked for, the type of business the design is for, the intended audience, and the desired goal. The more descriptive, the more insightful your responses will be.

What type of work should I post?

This forum is mostly made up of professional graphic designers and printers. Most of the work we see in the showcase is 'design' rather than art - meaning that it was made for a specific purpose other than just to look nice (not that there's anything wrong with that ).

Posts featuring forum signatures, wallpaper, fan art, and other non-commercial designs might not receive a lot of feedback.

Also, many members view "grunge" work as overdone (especially Mynock), so this type of work may not get the attention you are hoping for.

NOTE: It is our policy to only allow critiques of work posted by the original artist. The critiquing process is almost as personal of an interaction between the artist and their peers as it is between the artist and client. Do not post someone else's design for critique.

The major exception to this rule is when a major company or corporation has a publicly announced branding or rebranding such as the recent ones for the 2011 Olympics, Quark and AT&T. These are fair game.

How can I trust your opinions if I haven't seen your work?

Most of the members here are professionals who are working in the design industry. Everyone here gives their honest, if sometimes blunt, opinion. They do not do this to be "mean" or to imply that your work is not as good as theirs, but in order to help you to recognize aspects of your work that you can improve. Seeing their work is irrelevant - you wouldn’t ask your basketball coach to shoot some freethrows if he tells you your shots needed work, would you?

Somebody said something mean about my work! What should I do??

The first thing to remember is that the item being criticized is not you. It can be hard to accept criticism without feeling hurt, but this is a skill that can be learned and will help you to improve the quality of your work.

It is important to give every piece of feedback the benefit of the doubt if you are serious about improving.

It is safe to assume that the harsher the review, the higher the standard that you are being compared to. This isn't something to treat lightly. In fact, you should feel flattered, because any reviewer who takes the time to compare you to that high standard probably believes you can achieve exactly that.

Any personal attacks can be disregarded. Don't reward them by replying or making a big deal out of their stupidity. If things start getting out of hand, one of the friendly GDF moderators is sure to step in and put a stop to it.

What should I say in my critique?

Learning to give thoughtful critiques can be as difficult as learning to accept them.

Remember the old adage, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". That doesn't mean that you can't point out weaknesses or be critical, but it *does* mean that you don't have to be cruel to do so.

Don't make things personal by saying things like 'You can't shade well.' Refer to the picture itself, saying instead, 'the shading here could use work' or 'this picture needs more shading.'

Helpful pointers are even better than just pointing out what's wrong. Saying 'your typography needs work' is not as useful as saying 'I think that your kerning is a little loose there, tightening that up would make it look better.'

What Not to Say:

'Cool!' While positive, also pretty useless in terms of helping the artist improve.

'This sucks.' How does it suck? What can the artist do to improve it?
    Last edited by Kool; 02-27-2011, 12:22 PM.
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

I just wanted to add some more information on accepting critiques of your work.

Remember, the critique is of your work, not you personally! Learning to separate your 'self' from your work is important for those who aspire to work in this industry... these articles can help you to understand the value of even seemingly "harsh" critiques.

How to Give and Take Critique:
    elfwood.lysator.liu.se/farp/guides/givecriticism.html
    elfwood.lysator.liu.se/farp/guides/takecriticism.html
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~thefinalc.../critique.html

Helpful Tips on Being Punched in the Stomach: Taking Critiques
    http://www.bearskinrug.co.uk/_articl...king_critique/

The Delicate Art of (Web) Design Critique:
    http://www.digital-web.com/articles/...sign_critique/

Ways to Deal With Design Criticism:
    http://builder.com.com/5100-31-5073299.html
    Last edited by Kool; 08-18-2009, 09:50 PM.

Comment

bump

Comment

bump
        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Bumpity-bump.
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X