Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• skribe
    Reply to New Firefox Developer Edition
    skribe
    I still using both actually. I think Chrome's responsive and mobile views/tools are nicer than Firefox, and since I have taken to using Brackets text editor for doing a lot of my development work, I end...
    Today, 12:02 PM
  • skribe
    Reply to New Firefox Developer Edition
    skribe
    Welcome abivillanueva!

As you are a new member please take a few minutes and read though our rules and guidelines for new members. The following links should get you up to speed.
    Today, 11:58 AM
  • StudioMonkey
    Reply to Anyone else only have a diploma¿?
    StudioMonkey
    Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Frodo. Don't give up - your skills are valuable. Maybe you need to look at a different job title than Graphic Designer. Studio artworker, Mac operator, etc. all...
    Today, 11:50 AM
  • ChrisDudley
    Reply to Create neural looking network in Illustrator
    ChrisDudley
    I would recommend drawing it by hand, scanning in and tracing it if you're looking to create something that actually looks like a neural network. There's no setting in Illustrator that's going to take...
    Today, 10:03 AM
  • ChrisDudley
    Reply to Working on a logo for myself
    ChrisDudley
    I think this is a case of having settled too early in the design process. I do like the idea - breathing life into old designs. I think that has legs. But I don't love the execution particularly, specifically...
    Today, 09:56 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logo thoughts?

Hey all,

I know there has been an influx of new logo designs going up on the boards as of late, but I was just wanting some thoughts on what MAY become the new logo for my freelance/design company. I like the font, the techniques and the layout, but was wondering on colors. I am leaning toward the top left one, but wondered if anyone else had any thoughts at all on the logo. Thanks for your time.

Thanks,
    Thomas Clemmons

I like the top one too. One thing that bothers me, and maybe it's just me, but the m's are distracting. I don't think you need to mirror the second m. You already have the reversed e and the paint brush stroke, I think the design will work just as well with two regular m's. In all I think it's good. Having the e reversed makes me think you do web work. Is that intentional or just me?
    ~Cassi

CassiLowe.com

Comment

the kerning on Art & design could use a little tightening. it feels like the "n" is going to fall off the edge.

As for color. grey and orange are always a decent match, but in this case, the brush stroke is a huge focus and it draws my eye along it's path and away from the text. My eye is being retrained to read left to right and up again....it's a lot of work for a logo.

I also agree on the MM's

If anything...I like the b/w versions. Or Make the brush stroke grey as well.

hope this helsps.

Comment

Originally posted by chalsema
        Having the e reversed makes me think you do web work. Is that intentional or just me?
        Thats a very interesting observation. Now that i think about it, thats probly what i would have thought subconciously.

I agree about the mirrored m and the orange/grey combination issue.

Seeing as this appears to be your final design, i can't really make comments on the fundamentals of your basic design, because you are unlikely to change the design too radically anyway. I do like the design, it is one of the better logos recently. I think the type work is decent and the design itself is balanced and robust, but still exhibits flair.
        I work while you are all asleep...

Comment

Cjoe, feel free to speak your mind on the logo. I am not against making changes if the I agree with them. As you can see, I have made some changes based on suggestions already.

I agreed with the "m" comments. Once I began looking at them they were a bit odd and sort of hurt my eyes to make out. I fixed that and made the other text tighter so as not to look fragile as it did before. Plus I changed the colors around. Do these changes help or hinder?

By the way, why does the reverse "e" make ya'll thing of web design?
          Thanks,
          Thomas Clemmons

Comment

I think the changes look great.

The e makes me think of web because of things like "e-mail" or "ebay" or "e-commerce." Or anything else that has an e in front of it.
            ~Cassi

CassiLowe.com

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas51471
              Cjoe, feel free to speak your mind on the logo. I am not against making changes if the I agree with them. As you can see, I have made some changes based on suggestions already.

I agreed with the "m" comments. Once I began looking at them they were a bit odd and sort of hurt my eyes to make out. I fixed that and made the other text tighter so as not to look fragile as it did before. Plus I changed the colors around. Do these changes help or hinder?

By the way, why does the reverse "e" make ya'll thing of web design?
              I think that this revision is much more sound. I'm glad you fixed the m thing. That technique is fine, but tends to compete with your brush stroke flourish for attention. It may have been okay by itself i.e. if you didn't have the flourish there.
              Another little technical thing; The whitespace between the 'm' and the 'o' is wider than from the 'o' and the 'n'. I'm anal so this really sticks out, but it may just be an artefact from your compression algorithm. (i suggest you use .png in the future for this type of image on the web). Really examine your kerning closely.
              When you changed the colour of your type and brush flourish, you should have changed the 'art & design' part as well. It recedes behind the main type and i think this upsets the balance of the design. I think the 'art & design' also looked better when it was aligned with the edge of the main type.

As for the 'e' thing. It has that effect, simply because it emphasises the 'e', which has become a traditional indicator of electronic based systems. e-business, e-mail, e-commerce etc. It just makes you think, even if subconciously, *electronic, internet etc.*

As for the fundamental design itself, i think after looking at it for a while it has grown on me. I am a big fan of logo type, and after looking at your design i think it stands on its own reasonably well. Just imagine what it looks like without the flourish or the extra type. I still think it works reasonably well.

RE: the 'e' thing

you beat me to it Cassi.

Comment

Cjoe, thanks for the comments. I have adjusted the logo from your suggestions. Let me know if this helps or hinders.

As far as the colors, good or no?
                Thanks,
                Thomas Clemmons

Comment

I liked it better with "art and design" in grey. It read as clemmons>art&design>brush stroke

this new update reads art&design>clemmons>brush stroke. my personal view anyway.

my only other suggestion is moving the "cl" in a bit. I appears to be stuck out alone in the cold while the rest of the letters are all snuggled together. I'd probably move it in so it at least hits the left side of the e, if not a slight bit more.

other than that, very nice logo. It tells me what you do instantly and thats key. orange and grey always look good together as well

Comment

Originally posted by emmerse
                    I liked it better with "art and design" in grey. It read as clemmons>art&design>brush stroke

this new update reads art&design>clemmons>brush stroke. my personal view anyway.
                    fair comment, however in this latest revision the 'art & design' bit is larger. Can you take it down to its original size, re: the first set of designs you showed?

Comment

Ok, I changed the "art & design" back to gray (my thoughts were along the same lines as emmerse's were on the coloring of that too) and I squeezed in the "cl" as suggested, but am on the fence about it, but I kind of like it too.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
                      Thomas Clemmons

Comment

Question from a newbie...

The left "leg" of the first M is much wider than the left leg of the second M, or all the other legs for that matter.
                        Is that OK, because it makes me question why it's like that.

Mario

Comment

I just talking about colors. I like the first logo and last one. It's looks really cool to me.

Comment

I agree with MyST something wierd with the first "m".

Also that paintbrush stroke isnt really doing it for me. Want to simplify it even more?

I'd drop it (thats just me), fix the first "m", but keep a copy of file before you make the change, just to see if it stands out better, if not you can go back.
                            pas·sion
                            If there is no passion in your life, then have you already lived? Find your passion, whatever it may be. Become it, and let it become you, and you will find great things happen for you, to you, and because of you.
                            -T. Alan Armstrong

Comment

About the "m", the reason the first M has a thicker side is to create the reverse "e" out of it. If I left it thin as the other "m" I could not reverse it. I tried to reverse the E out of just a box with space between it and the first M but it didn't look right.

If I simplify the paint stroke, in my opinion, it won't have the same character as it has now. I am pretty happy with the make up of the logo at this point. There have been a lot of great suggestions on this thread that has made it better and I thank all of you.

The only thing I am torn on right now is the colors, the consensus is the gray and orange and orange and blue combonations are best. Though I am leaning toward the gray and orange I kind of dig the blue and orange too. So, which do you all like best?

Thanks,
                              Thomas Clemmons

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X