SWRD logo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWRD logo

A friend and I are starting a "street wear" brand. We are calling it "Still Waters run Deep". It is based off an old saying that a calm demeanor hides afiery passion underneath. There are variations of its meaning but it comes down looks being deceiving.
    Im in my early 30's and my business partner is in his late 20's. We want to create garments and designs that cater to a more mature streetwear aficionado. We aren't thinking of kids who wear Neff, Billabong, or other brands you would see at Pac-Sun or Zumies that are loud. We want to focus on cut & sew pieces and strong simple graphics. Grungy yet still kind of polished and put together.
    I'm the designer in this team so I came up with this. The upside down triangle is an old symbol for water. We wanted to incorporate water in the logo without it being so literal or recognizable. I am getting a 50/50 response between people who like the logo with the border and without. I'd like to get some feedback from you guys to see what you think and if you have additional input. Much appreciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	swrd1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	20679

Hi Samidesigns and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

That logo, what does it look like blown up 1000%?
      Betting all bitmappy and squirrely with all kinds of peaks, reversed pulls and crap. Grunge as vector does that. Looks more and more like butt the larger you go.

Grunge as anything but print is also pretty much a no go. You are going to lose all those little grungy bits if you try to get this embroidered. You aren't going to get much of any kind of 3D signage usage out of this either if you decide to do a high-end store display, office wall display or trade show/apparel show display.

A perfect triangle trying to enclose chaos? Not working for me. Maybe some might like the dichotomy.
      An upside-down triangle can mean a lot of things before coming up with water.
      Be aware of them.

Bonne chance.

Comment

Surely, heed PrintDriver's advice regarding the production pitfalls of grunge effect. It's up to you, but you'd either have to clean it, or plan prudently to avoid certain applications. As both the designer and an owner of the brand, you have that advantage at your disposal. If it was mine, I'd want to keep experimenting with visual elements that more strongly suggest "still waters".

My initial reaction to the typographical treatment wasn't all positive, but that was several hours ago, and revisiting now, I find its defiant attitude crystallizing into an appealing personality. It's kind of like "grownup piss-ant," but it's growing on me (maybe 'cause I'm one of those). I would warn, though, that if you succeed in proliferating this brand to any large degree, it may well become known as "SWERD". It's up to you whether that's a good thing.
        Coming to you from sunny America, where freedom, solvency, and now the presidency,
        are all unsurreptitiously counterfeited for your entertainment.

Comment

I'm also cautioning against the grungy thing. Mostly for all the reasons already stated, but also: If you are trying to capture something very cutting edge, do you think it is wise to go for a look that is either dated or getting very stale?

I am also seeing either "SWERD or SWORD.

I'm not too fond of the type treatment--is that a font?
          With just the four letters, I would seriously just consider working out the lettering by hand.

I don't like the straight line triangle at all. Looks like it is fighting the other elements--and not in a good way.
          Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

I'm still a student so I don't claim to know as much as the posters above, but I have to say that I agree with seamas in that the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the logo was the word "SWORD". I think it needs to be a bit more identifiable and not so prone to lead people in a direction other than what you're aiming for.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
              That logo, what does it look like blown up 1000%?
              Betting all bitmappy and squirrely with all kinds of peaks, reversed pulls and crap. Grunge as vector does that. Looks more and more like butt the larger you go.

Grunge as anything but print is also pretty much a no go. You are going to lose all those little grungy bits if you try to get this embroidered. You aren't going to get much of any kind of 3D signage usage out of this either if you decide to do a high-end store display, office wall display or trade show/apparel show display.

A perfect triangle trying to enclose chaos? Not working for me. Maybe some might like the dichotomy.
              An upside-down triangle can mean a lot of things before coming up with water.
              Be aware of them.

Bonne chance.

Yes, I thought the same thing about the grunge treatment when you pointed it out. It does look janky when blown up and when scaled down it just looks sloppy. My wife, a much more experienced and educated graphic designer than I, said I should ditch the triangle altogether as the proverb itself has very little to do with water and the triangle is way too literal. Im starting to think the same.

Comment

Originally posted by seamas View Post
                I'm also cautioning against the grungy thing. Mostly for all the reasons already stated, but also: If you are trying to capture something very cutting edge, do you think it is wise to go for a look that is either dated or getting very stale?

I am also seeing either "SWERD or SWORD.

I'm not too fond of the type treatment--is that a font?
                With just the four letters, I would seriously just consider working out the lettering by hand.

I don't like the straight line triangle at all. Looks like it is fighting the other elements--and not in a good way.

Yes, it is a font. Im debating on if I want a cleaner looking type or to actually hand write the letters myself in a more graffiti/urban style. Probably going to ditch the triangle altogether. Thanks for the insight though.

Comment

Originally posted by HotButton View Post
                  Surely, heed PrintDriver's advice regarding the production pitfalls of grunge effect. It's up to you, but you'd either have to clean it, or plan prudently to avoid certain applications. As both the designer and an owner of the brand, you have that advantage at your disposal. If it was mine, I'd want to keep experimenting with visual elements that more strongly suggest "still waters".

My initial reaction to the typographical treatment wasn't all positive, but that was several hours ago, and revisiting now, I find its defiant attitude crystallizing into an appealing personality. It's kind of like "grownup piss-ant," but it's growing on me (maybe 'cause I'm one of those). I would warn, though, that if you succeed in proliferating this brand to any large degree, it may well become known as "SWERD". It's up to you whether that's a good thing.

Probably diting the triangle altogether, still deciding on the font. I do like SWRD. Many streetwear brands have their name shortened such as "Undefeated" = "UNDFTD" and others. I dont want to do something that seems played out though but SWRD has kind of grown on me. My wife, a designer, suggested to just keeping it as a wordmark instead of trying to incorporate a symbol into the logo. Any thoughts on that? Thanks!

Comment

I think it's a great idea to ditch the triangle and to refine the wordmark. You'll probably want something simple that can be applied to many funky applications. I would also say more about the triangle and how it looks like it's just stroked with a grunge brush but it's being removed anyways.

There's quite a bit of personality in the font but I would encourage you to actually hand write this. It's a personal pet peeve of mine I am not a fan of using handlettering fonts for logos. There's a certain air of cheapness or laziness even. There's only four letters so even if you have to write it out a hundred times to find the perfect one it's no big deal. Also when you're vectorizing it you'll also have a chance to make final adjustments and tweaks.

Have you been looking at the logo just on it's own like this? Or have you tried mocking up some labels or clothing with it? Logos don't live in white space it's all about context. You can even mockup some billboards with placeholder photos of people in similar clothing to your line to see if the tone matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Samidesigns View Post

My wife, a designer, suggested to just keeping it as a wordmark instead of trying to incorporate a symbol into the logo. Any thoughts on that? Thanks!
                      Probably the best advice.

I would rethink the name though. A proverb for a business name is a bit unwieldy, as is SWRD in pronunciation. I'd use that as the tagline and come up with a short name, like one word, that's cool and inline with the tagline.

Comment

Originally posted by praxis11 View Post
                        Probably the best advice.

I would rethink the name though. A proverb for a business name is a bit unwieldy, as is SWRD in pronunciation. I'd use that as the tagline and come up with a short name, like one word, that's cool and inline with the tagline.

Kinda married to the name. I think within the context of streetwear brands it's not too long and I kinda like that it reads SWRD. Thanks though

Comment

Great logo

Comment

Originally posted by Samidesigns View Post

Kinda married to the name. I think within the context of streetwear brands it's not too long and I kinda like that it reads SWRD. Thanks though
                            Last years top streetwear brands:
                            Brain Dead
                            Dust Magazuine
                            Kith
                            Palace
                            vlone
                            Noah
                            Fear of God
                            Supreme
                            Bape
                            Anti Social Social Club

So your name ain't long compared to the last on the list there. All those names are edgy though. Time to get a divorce.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PrintDriver
                              Reply to Illustrator - This Logo - HOW TO?? HELP!
                              PrintDriver

Looks like a gradient to me.
                              You can muck around with the blend tool all day. It is the wrong tool for the job....
                              Today, 07:55 PM
                            • salsa
                              Reply to Feedback on Beer Bottle Designs
                              salsa
                              The fonts are different. Were you able to get the same typeface that was used on the originals? I think it would make them look even more consistent, like they were designed at the same time, if you can...
                              Today, 01:39 PM
                            • Blober
                              How much should i charge?
                              Blober
                              I am expirienced graphic designer, working on android and ios app design for local mobile development company. By bosses wanted to try some off work project and i made whole app design mockup with instructions...
                              Today, 01:08 PM
                            • GDFundamentals
                              Reply to Personal rebranding: feedback please
                              GDFundamentals
                              Hi, usually I try to get inspirired by other logos in the same industry. Pinterest is a very good resource for that. I've seen that a lot of photographers use their initials also & they add some photographic...
                              Today, 10:28 AM
                            • DesignHorse
                              Photoshop 3d render photographs and product 3d packaging
                              DesignHorse
                              Hi i want to learn 3d render photographs so they sort of popping out of the picture, and also want to learn product packaging. Im a seller on Amazon.com and i would like to do the 3d render and packaging...
                              Today, 10:04 AM
                            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                            Working...
                            X